Golf Snob Index- Whats your score?

TYork

Reaction score
Golf Snob Index - A great article by Jerry Tarde, Golf Digest June 2011

To figure out your GSI, count the number of statements that apply to you and deduct from 20. If you check every item, you're scratch!

1) You haven't let anyone play through since Tiger worked with Butch.

2) The number of different golfers you've played with in the last year is less than 10.

3) You've left a green before your group has finished putting out.

4) You've jumped a hole ahead to avoid the foursome in front.

5) You don't look for other peoples golf balls, or if you do, you give it the "visual sweep"

6) You're the only one in your group playing from the back tees.

7) You've taken a boat to play golf.

8) You question the superintendent's aerification schedule.

9) You've worn a Hogan cap and a cardigan sweater - at the same time.

10) You've called your caddie "caddie."

11) You've not played with a woman or child (unrelated to you) in your foursome in the last year.

12) You refuse to practice off mats.

13) You play only a certain number Titleist.

14) You take your vacations around the Walker Cup.

15) The starter asks if a single can join your group, and you inquire about his handicap before agreeing.

16) You named your dog Bogey.

17) You don't do Myrtle Beach.

18) You've admonished a fellow golfer for walking in your through-line.

19) The "no chipping" sign? It doesn't apply to you.

20) You tell a playing partner, "Don't talk to my ball. No, really, don't talk to my ball."

This is too funny, I scored a 5 which is still a little high considering how ridiculous some of the questions are....

edit.....i forgot to deduct as well (real score of 15)

Last edited:
17 here, same as my handicap. Coincidence?

19 for me, I only checked 1 of the questions

I only checked 1! Does that make me homely?

13 for me. Same as my handicap also, haha. Some sort of trend here??

19! Woo-hoo!

Oh, wait. Maybe being so happy about that score makes me a snob... D'oh!

I scored a 17, so not too bad. Funny stuff.

17 for me as well. I ahve to say though I definitely know some guys that would register in the single digits:laughing:

20 haha mostly due to the fact that I work at the course, so when I play I must be very "respectful to all members", not that I wouldn't anyways, but try to sugarcoat everything when in front or playing with them.

I'm a 15...that's good...right? Lol

I scored an 18...

That was fun, 18 for me.

10 for me.

19 for me (scenario 3).

NUmber 5:
5) You don't look for other peoples golf balls, or if you do, you give it the "visual sweep"

This one should be triple points against.

6) You're the only one in your group playing from the back tees.

11) You've not played with a woman or child (unrelated to you) in your foursome in the last year.

12) You refuse to practice off mats.

I am sure these are all in good fun, but I don't get how these make me a golf snob... I play from the Back tees every once in a while because I like to play the guys who I normally play with straight up, but I am generally 25-50 yards further than them off the tee. Also, just because someone hasn't played with a woman in their foursome doesn't make them a snob.. Most of the women at my club play with the other women, and rarely are found in mixed pairings.

Finally, 12 is just goofy. I don't 'refuse' to play off mats, but I do think it hurts the game to play off mats instead of grass. I will happily admit that when my course switches from grass to mats, I stop spending time on the range. How does that make me a snob?

I am sure these are all in good fun, but I don't get how these make me a golf snob... I play from the Back tees every once in a while because I like to play the guys who I normally play with straight up, but I am generally 25-50 yards further than them off the tee. Also, just because someone hasn't played with a woman in their foursome doesn't make them a snob.. Most of the women at my club play with the other women, and rarely are found in mixed pairings.

Finally, 12 is just goofy. I don't 'refuse' to play off mats, but I do think it hurts the game to play off mats instead of grass. I will happily admit that when my course switches from grass to mats, I stop spending time on the range. How does that make me a snob?

It doesn't make you a snob. It was an article in Golf Digest (I think). It just gives people something to do while in the restroom.

I score 18.

I have had a woman in my Saturday group about 1/3 of the time (she's about a 12 hcp). I ALWAYS hunt others balls - I have a really good eye for this. My dog (in the avatar) was named Bentley.

I have skipped a hole to avoid the slow 4some ahead, but thats been a few years.

I have questioned the greens aerification, but only because they did it for the second time of the season in early September, too late in the season to heal well, and we had bumpy greens until the next spring.

NUmber 5:

This one should be triple points against.

I agree with you here, although there is a guy in my regular group that does this and he is by no means a golf snob, just a giant... well, you know..

16 here... that's like an F+ right?

I scored a 18 :) not to shabby

17) You don't do Myrtle Beach.

I don't know what this means but I've never been there so maybe I don't do Myrtle Beach?

19) The "no chipping" sign? It doesn't apply to you.

Does this mean at the putting green? I've done it before but only there and twice.

Besides that the others don't apply to me :act-up: So i'm about an 18.

16!

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Back