Is Anthony Kim the next big thing?

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
We've heard the broadcasters saying that AK is the next big thing. We've seen the belt buckle. We've seen his joy & enthusiasm at the Ryder Cup.

Harry L has said in another post that "the only player on any tour today that isn't scared or intimidated by Tiger Woods is Anthony Kim".

We've seen much hyped prodigies sink out of sight before. Rory Sabbatini made that famous statement a year or so ago about taking over from Tiger. We've seen what's happened to Rory in the meantime.

Is AK really the next big thing?

What do you think about his swing?

There have been a lot of next big things in the lat 10 years. Most of them crack or break under the pressure. But Tiger plays so few events that someone could come in and sweep up the events he is not playing in and be close. Then of course they would have to win a major or two.

I never really thought Rory was a challenge for a top 10 player consistently. His most famous round is blowing up after running out of his mouth. Not for his great game.

As far as AK, he has game, no question about it. And mentally, you are right, he doesnt fear Tiger. But I am not sure he is as focused as one needs to be to be the best in the the world.

There are a few players out there though, that can bring it in my eyes. In no particular order:
Camillo Villegas
Sean O'Hair
JB Holmes
Boo Weekley
Anthony Kim

I think all of these guys have serious game and can bring it each and every week. Out of all of the young players out there, I think Camillo has the best chance of really going crazy one year and being number 1.

It's going to take more than people saying it . . . anybody remember Bobby Clampett? He was supposed to be the next one in the progression (Palmer . . . Nicklaus . . . Watson . . . Clampett). High expectations can bring lackluster results. Let's hope not though, I like AK, and he showed me a lot in the Ryder Cup.

I think AK is the next big thing, but I think there are going to be lots of next big things. AK, Camilo, JB, Boo, etc. And I personally love his swing. Anthony and have similar builds, and I swing just like him, choking up and all. I know the story of, cutting shafts down and griping feels weird. I'm 5'2" and I use all standard clubs. Just feels weird when it's different.

I watched JB Holmes when he played in the Australian PGA tournament last year. He's certainly an exciting player to watch, especially live. I loved watching him bomb his tee shots down the fairway.

The only aspect of his game that worries me is that fact that he's such a big hitter. In other words, when a big hitter hits a bad shot, they hit it a long way bad. JB was hitting 3 wood as far (or further) as some of his playing partners were hitting driver. I couldn't help but wonder if he didn't try to belt the cover off the ball all of the time, he could hit a nice relaxing driver as well. But then maybe it doesn't work like that for a big hitter.

I watched JB Holmes when he played in the Australian PGA tournament last year. He's certainly an exciting player to watch, especially live. I loved watching him bomb his tee shots down the fairway.

The only aspect of his game that worries me is that fact that he's such a big hitter. In other words, when a big hitter hits a bad shot, they hit it a long way bad. JB was hitting 3 wood as far (or further) as some of his playing partners were hitting driver. I couldn't help but wonder if he didn't try to belt the cover off the ball all of the time, he could hit a nice relaxing driver as well. But then maybe it doesn't work like that for a big hitter.

I agree with your worries, the farther you hit it, the farther OB it goes when you hit it that way. But I think he can scale back when need be, and play smart, target golf. I think if his putting is on then he is a big force on tour any week.

On a side note, I'm going to the 2009 Mercedes-Benz Championship, and I get to see him, AK, Sergio, Boo, Camilo. Man this will be better then last year. Okay maybe not, but only because last year I got a ball from Jim Furyk, one he used on Sunday. And he is my favorite player. :banana:

Pick up some golf book written 10-12 years ago. Say, A Good Walk Spoiled. Full of "next big things" you've never heard of. I like Kim (and his belt buckles! :love:), but it's just too soon to say.

I think it's also apt to mention the much maligned Sergio Garcia. Although not winning an event in the FedEx Cup playoffs, he placed extremely well. He also tied for second in this year's PGA Championship.

As I write this Sergio is the 3rd round leader of the Castello Masters in Spain. Camilo Villegas is T29.

No, I'm not a Sergio flag waver. I just think he's in rich form & I think he has gained in confidence immensely. So much so that 2009 could see even bigger things out of him.

I dont think you can call him "the next big thing". I do think he will break through and win a major this year. But he's not "next"

isn't Adam Scott the next....nah, nevermind. :bomb:

I always live in hope of Adam Scott getting off his surfboard long enough to win a major. (said as a disappointed but ardent Adam Scott supporter)

Back