USGA Groove Rules

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With groove rules changing on irons and wedges it got me thinking. Will we see some new rules with Drivers and size and shapes soon?

not sure we'll see the USGA pull back driver dimensions... sure, professionals are hitting drives off the map but smaller drivers will ultimately increase driving accuracy stats. so it's unlikely you'll see a change, IMHO

Nah, I think we are set in stone on driver limitations.

I tend to think any equipment rule is good and bad, in most sports. We hate them at first, then after awhile get used to them as if it always was.
Per the driver, yes, they will imo.

I tend to think any equipment rule is good and bad, in most sports. We hate them at first, then after awhile get used to them as if it always was.
Per the driver, yes, they will imo.

yes, but having a 460CC driver isn't necessarily an advantage... it allows the tour players to carry the ball further but you can say it has also lowered the driving accuracy stats...

whereas with the groove ruling which is pretty clear cut... one groove has far greater playing advantages over another

True, now on grooves, why does it matter, meaning why won't they allow the grooves of now? I've read and read, my ? is (for you good players), is it like corking a baseball bat? Everything I've read is...99/100 players are against the new ruling.

• Admin
Because it allows to much spin out of rough. This in turn diminishes drivng accuracy.

Because it allows to much spin out of rough. This in turn diminishes drivng accuracy.

Exactly... these guys can make a ball stop on a dime from any non-major rough

I really love the way golf is right now. I'd hate to see more drastic rules effect the game and equipment. What are they gonna do next? Ban game improvement irons because they are so forgiving?

Back