Rory vs Rickie Under the Lights This Summer

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
From the Detroit Free Press today. As a MI resident, would love to see it. Michigan is a great golfing state and we haven't had an event here since the Buick Open was stopped. Even if its just an exhibition, 2 of the biggest names in golf battling it out would be a great start.

Quicken Loans finalizing details for match between McIlroy and Fowler that would be played June 7 at Detroit Golf Club.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations tells The Associated Press that Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler are poised for a prime-time golf exhibition. Quicken Loans is finalizing details for a match between McIlroy and Fowler that would be played June 7 under the lights at Detroit Golf Club. It would be televised live by Golf Channel and CBS.The person spoke the AP on Monday on condition of anonymity because the match has not been announced. The first two hours would be televised live by Golf Channel, followed by the 9-11 p.m. slot shown live on CBS. It was not clear how many holes would be broadcast under the lights. Unlike the Monday night matches involving Tiger Woods in 1999 and 2000, there would be a celebrity component with this exhibition. The person said it would be “Team Rory” against “Team Rickie.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/golf/2016/02/15/rory-mcilroy-rickie-fowler-detroit/80427648/

This would be pretty neat to watch for sure. I know I'd tune in.

I'd watch for sure. Two of the top players today. I'll take Rickie by a hair........

I think that would be fun to watch!

Sounds like a fun match to watch.

Would be the week before the US Open at Oakmont, so both their games should be ready to rock.

Having played Detroit Golf Club quite a few times, I think these guys will light it up. Lot of birdies to be made and should be plenty entertaining to watch.

Now that would be a blast to watch.

You couldn't stop me from attending this!

I like this idea, but without the celebrity component.

You couldn't stop me from attending this!

I definitely plan on going as well. Really hope it pans out. Would be awesome to watch.

This sound like it would be awesome to watch and I think it would really help build the game among the younger crowd.

I thought the exact same thing. Hope the celebrities are at least really good golfers or something to make it a bit better.

Seems cool, though I'm not sure the celebrity element is necessary. Unless it's particularly engaging stars (like, way more exciting than last weekend) it's not likely to get people who don't normally watch golf to tune in, and people who watch golf don't give two figs about Ray Romano.

I'm hoping for a return of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, but I suspect we're getting far less interesting.

That would be really cool

This will Be awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be a heck of a matchup!

Somebody bump this whens it's closer so I can DVR if I'm working.

Might have to find a way to go to this.

I hope they take it seriously.

I like exhibitions but watching match play between two guys just there for a check is a little lame.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pretty exciting and would love to see this take place. Played the Detroit Club once and not a bad course.

Head to head match play, this should be fun.

Loved prime time golf when TW did it years ago, glad to see this happening.

Rory vs Rickie Under the Lights This Summer

Man this would be cool to see In person

On the surface I agree, but then again having celebrities involved could bring awareness to people who wouldnt normally care about golf and maybe start moving the needle a bit.

I'd love to see this happen! Who doesn't want to see the #3 & #4 world tour players play each other! This will be an awesome match up!

Back