Cobra Tour Trusty wedge review

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
A little over a week ago I was fortunate enough to receive a package from THP that contained the 60* Tour Trusty wedge that I had won from Cobra golf. This club isn't available to the public until the beginning of October, so I felt somewhat compelled to document my thoughts for any of you who are interested in this club. I’m sure I can’t do it the justice that one of the THP staff reviewers can do, but I’m going to give it the old college try.

First Impressions:
I absolutely love the look of a brand new golf club; there is so much untapped potential in the pristine face that has never experienced the bruising impact of striking a golf ball. That being said, the Tour Trusty is simply a beautiful golf club. Like many other wedge manufacturers, Cobra has designed this club to maximize the groove volume, and have milled the face to increase the surface texture which leads to increased spin. I've seen this on my Titleist SM4, but I think the Tour Trusty’s surface texture is a bit more defined and gives me the sense that I’m going to get a lot more spin off this club.

The beauty of this club doesn't stop with the face, and looking at the sole of the club reveals another stunning feature; the K grind. Cobra has removed material from the heel, mid-section, and toe of the sole, allowing for enhanced versatility when using the wedge, but beyond that, it just looks good. Rounding out the package was a stock true temper shaft and a golf pride grip that looks really cool and has a ton of grip to it.

On the course:
I tried to get out a few times but the weather got in the way, so when I finally found a clear day to play, I was pretty excited to test this wedge out. I was playing a fairly short par 32 course so I figured I would get a lot of use out of my wedges. I've had a 60* wedge in my bag for awhile, but it was part of a “budget” set, and the quality is nowhere near the Tour Trusty so I was really curious how different it would be. Typically around the greens I play my 56* wedge, but since I wanted to put the Tour Trusty through its paces, I decided to use it anywhere inside 50 yards and really attack some pins.

I was expecting less roll out due to the higher lofted wedge, but I wasn't anticipating the increased spin and left fairly lengthy putts on the first two holes. Once I got that figured out, I was able to tuck the ball in pretty close to the pin when I would put a good swing on the ball and I even had a chip in. There were two main things that struck me about this club during my round. First, was the lack of roll out, even on relatively short shots. I had a 20 yard chip into the green, and the ball stopped about 2 feet from the pitch mark; some of this is due to the loft of the club, but my old 60* would have rolled out a few more feet at least so I think the added spin from the Tour Trusty helped stop the ball even on such a short shot. Second, the K-grind, specifically the heel relief, made flop shots much simpler to execute. My old wedge had a standard grind, and I would find myself blading flop shots too often for my comfort, but both times I tried a flop shot during my round I was able to open the club and glide under the ball for a nice high flight.

Final thoughts:
I was pretty excited when I found out I had won this wedge, as I was very anxious to experience the difference between the value wedges I was used to and a premium wedge like the Tour Trusty. I wasn’t sure if my game could live up to a club that was designed for tour players, but any concerns I had were put to rest quickly. This club works well for a hacker like me, and gives me some additional versatility to execute some of the shots tour players make if the situation calls for it. I would definitely recommend giving the Tour Trusty a try if you’re in the market for a new wedge.

Below are some pictures that I posted in the contest thread, but for any of you who didn't see them, here they are again. Feel free to ask any questions you've got, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting this!

I'd love to see this all rusted up...I'm having trouble to decide if I like sole with the brushed & and no brushed combo. It's only a minor visual thing, but still :)

I'd love to try one, I really like my Trusty Rustys, and the tour version has been something I have been looking forward to.

Am I correct in saying this club shouldn't rust up, hence the omission of Rusty from the name?

Thanks for posting. I will be ordering a black set this fall. They are beautiful.

Thanks for posting.
I am looking foreword to these coming out.

Thanks for posting this!

I'd love to see this all rusted up...I'm having trouble to decide if I like sole with the brushed & and no brushed combo. It's only a minor visual thing, but still :)

I'd love to try one, I really like my Trusty Rustys, and the tour version has been something I have been looking forward to.

Personally I like the polished sections on the sole, but I like shiny things, so maybe that's why.

Thanks for posting. I will be ordering a black set this fall. They are beautiful.

Yeah, the black ones look pretty slick too.

Awesome Ryan, that's one gorgeous wedge!

Thanks, that is a great looking club

Ill bring this post back up, I haven't seen much love of these compared to the Mack Daddys, SM5s, or even the 588 RTX. Anyone still playing these, love them hate them? Im playing SM4s now, but thought I would pick up 1 wedge to try out compared to my SM4s. Ive got a Cobra bag (I really have know idea how I went Cobra through the bag) so I figured Id look into their wedges.

Bumping this up because I noticed someone using them in their bag. Seeing as I am looking at new wedges I wanted to give these a test. Can anyone else give me their personal feedback?

Bumping this up because I noticed someone using them in their bag. Seeing as I am looking at new wedges I wanted to give these a test. Can anyone else give me their personal feedback?

I just put the 58 in my bag a few weeks ago. I am very happy with it, and find it works great with any lie I have encountered; hardpan, long rough, short rough and sand. It is very easy to lay open and hit flop shots with as well. I find the spin to be great as well, and have had to adjust to hitting my shots closer to the flag as I don't get the roll out I had with my previous wedge. The 58 replaced a low cost 60 degree I had been using, so I can't compare it to any other "high $$" wedge.

I just put the 58 in my bag a few weeks ago. I am very happy with it, and find it works great with any lie I have encountered; hardpan, long rough, short rough and sand. It is very easy to lay open and hit flop shots with as well. I find the spin to be great as well, and have had to adjust to hitting my shots closer to the flag as I don't get the roll out I had with my previous wedge. The 58 replaced a low cost 60 degree I had been using, so I can't compare it to any other "high $$" wedge.

Thanks I like hearing that they spin well.

What 60* was it?

it was a very old Cleveland that had seen better days before it was given to me.

it was a very old Cleveland that had seen better days before it was given to me.

Okay I was a huge fan of their old wedges so another plus if you like the trusty :)

it was an old Cleveland that was pretty worn out before it was given to me.

I am really happy with them and even though I have tried some others, these will be in the bag until they wear out me thinks. Just a very classic shape and wedge that I find easy to hit from multiple lies. I can hit multiple different shots and find them really easy to get out of the sand with.

I am really happy with them and even though I have tried some others, these will be in the bag until they wear out me thinks. Just a very classic shape and wedge that I find easy to hit from multiple lies. I can hit multiple different shots and find them really easy to get out of the sand with.

Were the shafts offered by Cobra or aftermarket? (it was your signature that got me curious as I look at the Kings)

Were the shafts offered by Cobra or aftermarket? (it was your signature that got me curious as I look at the Kings)

Shafts were installed by Cobra but they are not an option for the general public.

Back