Favorite Golf Movies...

Favorite Golf Movies...

• Total voters
I don't know if I should admit this but I have never watched a golf movie. The only sports movies I have seen are talladega nights and varsity blues.

For me its Tin Cup with Happy Gilmore a close second.

Merged with a recent thread.

"The Greatest Game" for me. It had a great mix of golf, fun and intrigue.

@ShooterMcGavin_ on twitter says that Happy Gilmore was his fave but the one with the alternate ending where he wins and walks off with the mom on Modern Family.

"The Greatest Game" for me. It had a great mix of golf, fun and intrigue.

And a true story...

Greatest Game Rocks. Interesting charachters, (Vardon is especially great) great story.
Shia lied about being able to golf too. Learned in a few weeks before the movie began filming. Not a bad looking swing, better looking than Kevin Costner's in my opinion. Then again, Tin Cup's swing was an unfinished masterpiece :D

Well, it's BASED on a true story.

Well as are most movies about actual events, they have to fill in the day to day minutia with something but they stayed pretty close to facts golfwise in that movie.

What do u feel they got wrong?

Well as are most movies about actual events, they have to fill in the day to day minutia with something but they stayed pretty close to facts golfwise in that movie.

What do u feel they got wrong?

I was just nit-picking, hehehe. I know it was pretty factual.

But since you asked, this is from imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388980/):

• In the playoff round, they pan across the 3-player scoreboard very quickly and at the end we see Quimet and Vardon tied at Even. Below their score is Ted Ray at +6. If you go back frame by frame and look at the scores on each hole, we see that Ray is really only at +3 up until this point in the match.
  • The playoff wasn't close in score. Ouimet shot 72, Vardon 77 and Ray 78. But that doesn't make as good of a story as making a putt on the 18th hole to win, does it!
  • While practicing for the tournament, Francis is shown using a wooden golf tee. The wooden golf tee was not available commercially until 1921, being patented by a New Jersey dentist, William Lowell.
  • Harry Vardon is credited with inventing the "Vardon" grip, which involves the fingers of the hands overlapping. During the golf scenes both Vardon and Ouimet were using the "interlocking" golf grip, which is contradictory to the "Vardon" grip. One would think that Vardon would use the Vardon grip.
  • The seventeenth hole of The Country Club is shown as a dogleg right, and Harry hits his ball into an unseen trap on the right side of the corner of the dogleg. In reality, the seventeenth hole at The Country Club at the time of the 1913 US Open was a dogleg left, and Vardon hit his ball into a trap on the left side of the fairway.
  • Francis is shown looking at a yardage book, or a series of hand drawn diagrams of every hole at The Country Club. In reality, yardage books did not come into use until the 1960's, first by Deane Beman and later popularized by Jack Nicklaus.
  • Harry Vardon is shown laying Francis a "stymie" during the playoff. A stymie occurred when a player's ball blocked the path of his opponent's ball on the green (the balls not being within six inches of each other). This only applied to singles match play. The playoff for the 1913 US Open was medal (stroke) play and the stymie rule would not have been in effect. This rule was eliminated in 1952 by the USGA.

Not complaining, as it would be very difficult to name a movie based on a true story that doesn't have a host of factual errors.

I was just nit-picking, hehehe. I know it was pretty factual.

But since you asked, this is from imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388980/):

• In the playoff round, they pan across the 3-player scoreboard very quickly and at the end we see Quimet and Vardon tied at Even. Below their score is Ted Ray at +6. If you go back frame by frame and look at the scores on each hole, we see that Ray is really only at +3 up until this point in the match.
  • The playoff wasn't close in score. Ouimet shot 72, Vardon 77 and Ray 78. But that doesn't make as good of a story as making a putt on the 18th hole to win, does it!
  • While practicing for the tournament, Francis is shown using a wooden golf tee. The wooden golf tee was not available commercially until 1921, being patented by a New Jersey dentist, William Lowell.
  • Harry Vardon is credited with inventing the "Vardon" grip, which involves the fingers of the hands overlapping. During the golf scenes both Vardon and Ouimet were using the "interlocking" golf grip, which is contradictory to the "Vardon" grip. One would think that Vardon would use the Vardon grip.
  • The seventeenth hole of The Country Club is shown as a dogleg right, and Harry hits his ball into an unseen trap on the right side of the corner of the dogleg. In reality, the seventeenth hole at The Country Club at the time of the 1913 US Open was a dogleg left, and Vardon hit his ball into a trap on the left side of the fairway.
  • Francis is shown looking at a yardage book, or a series of hand drawn diagrams of every hole at The Country Club. In reality, yardage books did not come into use until the 1960's, first by Deane Beman and later popularized by Jack Nicklaus.
  • Harry Vardon is shown laying Francis a "stymie" during the playoff. A stymie occurred when a player's ball blocked the path of his opponent's ball on the green (the balls not being within six inches of each other). This only applied to singles match play. The playoff for the 1913 US Open was medal (stroke) play and the stymie rule would not have been in effect. This rule was eliminated in 1952 by the USGA.

Not complaining, as it would be very difficult to name a movie based on a true story that doesn't have a host of factual errors.

The only error that bugs me is Vardon not using the Vardon Grip. I made an ex GF and another Friend watch this movie and that's how I explained to them who Vardon was. His swing and grip etc etc. First time he gripped a club my GF said "is that the Vardon Grip?" Well no... but.....

Caddyshack it's a classic whether you like golf or not. So many great quotes- be the ball Danny.

Tin Cup for sure.. Gotta love the Open scenes !!!

I can't believe everyone is sleeping on "Who's Your Caddy", LOL

I like Tin Cup and Happy Gilmore. Caddyshack is funny too though.

Legend of Bagger Vance .... "Golf is not a game to be won, but only played. So I play on. I play for the moments yet to come, looking for my place in the field."
Bagger Vance is the Bhagavad Gita retold. Bagger Vance -> Bhagwan. Junah -> Arjuna. Bhagwan advices Arjuna to do his duty correctly without worrying about results.

Caddy Shack is a classic, and I gotta give a bump to Dead Solid Perfect too! Guess there is just a lot of folks that have never seen it.

The greatest game ever played is also a really interesting book.

I saw "The Greatest Game Ever Played" for the first time a little over a month ago on Golf Channel. I couldn't turn it off. It came on again last weekend, same thing. I guess when it comes to drama/serious movies, that'd be my number 1.

Otherwise:

Caddyshack
Happy Gilmore
Tin Cup

I'll watch pretty much any golf movie though.

Is CaddyShack really even a golf movie, or just a movie that takes place at a country club?

Caddyshack is the obvious choice but I did enjoy The Greatest Game Ever Played.

Back