Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

Come on Jzier139 that's the third time already that you have posted an entry in this thread. 3 of 4 posts are entries in this thread. One is enough.

Sorry, 1st two were via iphone and found errors thanks to the predictive spell check. New here and don't see how to delete a post... can u help?

Okay, so all of you guys have convinced me that my high handicap shouldn't keep me out of this one. I've dropped 3 shots on my handicap in the last 45 days, so let's give it a shot! As always a big tip of the hat to :thp: and to :nike: for the opportunity!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R7 Draw
2. What is your handicap index? 16.1 and falling
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Good clean lines at address, something that visually instills confidence. I just started working the ball a little more, so something that is consistent and has a good feel
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Clean and simple, great looking iron and I love the split cavity design
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP I currently play at least 36 holes a week and my neighbor just put a dancing dog simulator in his garage, so I hit balls on it 2-3 times a week. I joined THP back in October and lurked for awhile, but in the last few months I have become very active and tried to be a productive member of the community. I do participate in Facebook and Twitter as well

Thanks again and good luck to everyone!:thankyou:

1. What irons do you currently play? Adams CB2
2. What is your handicap index? 13.7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Consistency, feel
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think they look sharp. I've always been jealous of blades, but they way they incorporate blades into this set is genius.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? During the summer I go to the driving range every day and play 1-2 tournaments a week. If I were to be given the opportunity to test these irons, I would provide daily updates with my opinion and other people's opinion, have a battle between these and my CB2s, and comment on how they do in tournaments.

Thanks

Sorry, 1st two were via iphone and found errors thanks to the predictive spell check. New here and don't see how to delete a post... can u help?

hey bud dont worry about it, click on edit and there should be a option to delete

1. What irons do you currently play? TM Burners
2. What is your handicap index? 17
3. What do you look for in an iron set? F-O-R-G-I-V-E-N-E-S-S
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I've always liked the looks of the Nike equipment but testing is believing
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 9 holes every Thursday and make it to the range 2-3 times/ week (at home and during a "extended" lunch hour). I've been active in the past and am making strides to become active with THP as of late.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Callaway's Diablo Edge Irons and Hybrid combo set 3 and 4.

2. What is your handicap index?I picked up the game about an year and a half ago when i started i was a 30 Hcp, now Im down to an 18.

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Im currently in search for some new irons with less offset to help me shape my shots a little more but just enough offset to help get it up a bit, a mid topline, and a midsized clubface. Great feel is a must!

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like the look of them, i've held a few at my local pro shop and they are very clean and not to intimidating to me, I love the Cavity slit in the long irons, but i kinda wish that the slit can be in all the irons. Nike makes some great clubs.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play one round a week and hit the driving range about three days a week, so I will keep up that schedule and possibly throw in an extra round too. I check out THP at least once a day to check out new info and surf thru the forums. I just joined the forums so i plan to be very active in the conversations in the future.

Thank You

I have seen these irons and they look great, may be a contender to replace my Bridgestone J33 Combo Irons. Hope I get a chance to try them.

Since I did not win the Mizzies, I am in need of a new set of irons, so this would be perfect for me.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX200
2. What is your handicap index? 12
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Looks, feel, and forgiveness
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very nice from the photos I have seen. The split cavity design is just sick!!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I work weekends only and play golf at least twice a week and range a few hours a week. I would definitely give these clubs a workout from now till the snow flies. I start my day at 0530 with a check of e-mail then straight to THP. I am often here throughout the day and evening and contribute as much as I can w/o just chiming in (although I do that too!)

I'd love the opportunity to test these clubs for the guys and girls here.

1. What irons do you currently play? Bridgestone J36 Combos. PX 5.5
2. What is your handicap index? 11.0
3. What do you look for in an iron set? A bit of forgiveness, bit also not too "chunky" and with some workability
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? From the pics I've seen these look v. Nice - forgiving where you need it, and compact in the scoring clubs
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play once a fortnight, and practice twice a week. I'd plan to test at the range and compare directly to my current irons at the range, and put them into play on the course.

Rob

I was at my local shop today and saw these so I had to just hold them. They did not have a demo set, and I hate hitting them with tape so I didn't hit them today, but they were so gorgeous!!

I was at my local shop today and saw these so I had to just hold them. They did not have a demo set, and I hate hitting them with tape so I didn't hit them today, but they were so gorgeous!!

Local range has them and I took them for a spin. Yummy. Good luck to whoever gets these. They are fantastic!!

Wow Id love to demo these bad boys as I am in the market for new irons:

1. What irons do you currently play?-Well ive been playing some old Cougar Ti-Cat's from a kit
2. What is your handicap index?-21(plagued by some bad rounds and going down fast!)
3. What do you look for in an iron set?-easy to hit(specially in the long irons), forgiving, aesthics, hot (nice) ball flight, can progress my game with
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?-Very nice, cavity back for forgiveness, not crazy large(g15's haha) look like a good blend or workability and forgiveness, also i really like how the scoring clubs are workable muscle back ones, always thought company's should do that
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?-i just finished my first high school season and i play usually around 5 times a week with half of those being an actual round, they would always be in my bag(never play my olds except for comparing them of course), i would review them after every round so there would be a variety of perfomance stuff cause i could review for my good and not so good rounds, i am a new THP member and just getting use too the forums and community, enjoying it and working on becoming an avid member

Thanks!!

Last edited:
hey bud dont worry about it, click on edit and there should be a option to delete

Exactly, no harm done at all. Like 10YD said, if you click edit on one of your posts, you can either delete or rewrite portions of the post.

Here's my entry!

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (4-PW) stock stiff shaft
2. What is your handicap index? About 15, not official
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Now that I'm improving, taking lessons, something that will get me consistent distance and a mix of forgiveness and playability
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think they look sharp! Definitely a players iron, but the CB should help with forgiveness. Looks confident to put a good swing on it and know it will come out right.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I'm still new on THP although I've been a lurker for a long time. I browse the forums, twitter and FB everyday, so I might as well start posting. As far as testing goes, I plan on hitting the range quite often and playing one or twice a week, depending on schedule. Some weeks I will be able to play multiple times and be sure to give a full summary and report updates.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Man, this is direct torture for me. I just chose the TaylorMade MBs over the VRs here last month. I loved both of these clubs and ended up picking the MBs over the VRs strictly over the topline and how it fit my eye and the higher trajectory I was getting out of the MBs. I'm a low ball hitter. These are great clubs that I would love the opportunity to run through the wringer.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade MB
2. What is your handicap index? 4.9
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Solid Feel. Classic Lines on setup. High trajectory. Low Offset and thin sole.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Beautiful lines on this club. I love a classic club look and Nike has definitely hit that on the head. The only thing that got me a bit was the slightly thicker topline on the longer irons. I know, I know, but I played Titleist Tour Models for 12 years straight so I'm used to a certain look and my game suffers for it :bashful: I thought the groove pattern would distract me or not fit my eye but I was wrong on that. I didn't even notice it. Very high quality finish on these clubs. I don't know how better to describe it but to say that they have a nice visual weight to them and feel great in the hands
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I've been very quiet on THP up to now. Kind of lurking around and reading all the great reviews and posts on here. I'm ready to do my very first official comparison thread. My approach would be NIKE VR Pro Combo VS. TaylorMade MB Showdown. Sensible Playability VS. The EGO Clubs.

I had a chance to hit similar clubs at a demo day last year and wish I had more time with them on a course. I believe I would do a great job of documenting my testing of these clubs. From video to pictures I would have a blast putting them through the paces.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP-30s
2. What is your handicap index? 17.7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Workability and good flight
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? From the pictures on the net I think these clubs are the best looking Nike irons to date. They look like players irons with the forgiveness of a cavity where needed. That appeals to me alot. I like the lines and they looks like my Mizuno's so I'm sure I'll like them looking down.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? While the typical of playing multiple rounds, give them adequate range time, checking them out on a simulator and running them through the paces would be done I would like to do side by side testing on the course. Hitting two shots one from my current set and one from the VR Pro Combos. I'd video how workable these are as well as showing what distance gains or losses I would get from the multiple types of clubs in the set. I would base my testing on accuracy, consistency, looks, feel, and perceived distance. I will give my best and honest review no matter good or bad. I play about once a week or so and practice multiple times a week. I'm an active twitter and facebook user so keeping the world up to date on how the testing is going would not be an issue. Of course that would mean more activity at THP also as I would be posting videos and pictures of my testing. I've been finding myself visiting the site more to see what is going on with the golfing world so coming back more often would just be a bonus.

Thanks for the chance to test and play a nice set of clubs. Looking forward to getting out there with my Flip HD and Canon 50D ... oh and with the clubs as well :)

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade R9s
2. What is your handicap index? around 20
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Must look good at address, I want forgiveness, but I also want feel. Played forged macgregors before switching to the R9s. While I play better with the R9s, a well struck shot with the macs was still better. Must be b/c they're forged :)
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Beautiful. I love Nike, probably from my basketball years. Play Nike VR driver, 3 wood, and hybrid.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well, it would probably be range trips a couple of times during the week because I work a lot. Also because I took a 4 year break from golf, and I am trying to get back into it. I think ball striking is the main area I need to improve, especially with irons since I drive really well compared to the scores I post. Then on the weekend, I usually golf 1 round. Were I to demo these clubs though, I'd have an excuse to put even more time in. I like my R9s, but I also think that eventually when I improve my ball striking ability, I'm going to switch to Nike's latest offering b/c I'm a fan boy and think Nike doesn't get it's earned respect. As for forum activity level, does lurking count? lol. I don't post a ton b/c I'm here to learn so I generally just take it in rather than offer my crappy/limited opinions. Were I to be chosen to demo, I'd obviously post a lot more. Don't know how "testing" works, but I'd have no problem entering into a "secured transaction." :)

1. What irons do you currently play? 4-6 TaylorMade CBs 7-PW MCs
2. What is your handicap index? 10
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Looks first because it must be something I am confident over. Secondly, what amount of playability and forgiveness does the iron offer to suit my game. I want to work the ball, but I want forgiveness in the long irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? One of the best, if not the best, looking iron set on the market. Love the simple design and serious look of these irons. These let everyone know you take your game serious
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I would compare the VR Combos to my current combo set made up of this years TaylorMade TP line. I play about once or twice a week and hit a lot of range balls when not playing. I also have access to a launch monitor at work and will use it with the comparison of the two sets. I may play the front side with one set, go to the car, and play the back with the other. I also may play 18 with one set one day and 18 with the other set the next. I will not entirely focus on comparing the two, but to also focus on the iron set in general. Lastly, my activity has slowed on THP after becoming a member, but that is only due to a lot of substitute teaching which is coming to an end and working more hours at my other job. However, I have a big golf ball testing project going on right now which I will post sometime near September and rather than giving weekly updates right now on my CB/MC set I am going to give a thorough season's end review. If the VR Combos were to end up my bag for testing, the updates would be often rather than at my own pace.

I am currently in the market for a new iron set. I would love to have a chance to test these out in detail. Thanks to THP and Nike for making this test possible..

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G5, -1/2", 2.75° flat

2. What is your handicap index?12

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I would like the lower lofted irons to be easier to hit and get airborne while retaining maximum forgiveness.I would want my 8I-PW to have a higher launch and smooth feel as this is where I concentrate my "wheelhouse" at. .

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like the topline and recessed cavity of these clubs compared to my G5's. They would definitely inspire confidence while addressing the shot.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? This year I joined a league for the very first time. This has changed my mindset for golf and got me fired up to reach a single digit handicap by the end of the year. With that being said, I am spending more time at the range and on the course to improve my game. If chosen, I would put these irons into action immediately on course, range and league. I would make weekly reports on Friday after my Thursday league which would include comparisons to my old set as well as individual performance and thoughts on the irons.

As for my activity on THP.....due to indoctrination into a new job early in the year, I was unable to follow along and post as much as I wanted to. With indoctrination complete, I plan on once again perusing, creating and responding to posts on a more regular basis.

Thanks again to THP and NIKE for you consideration..

Bama

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R7 4-PW,AW
2. What is your handicap index? 15.6
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Smooth feel of the ball coming off of the face.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like the look of them, I have never hit any of the Nike Irons, I have been wanting too though
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I usually get on THP everyday, especially at work (when I am not supposed too) I try to post alot, but I like to only when it will be influential. I don't like to post just to get my count up. My testing plan for these would be twice a week when I play. I play 9 every Wed. for my work league and I play 18 on either Sat. or Sun. with my stepdad and brother in law.

Thanks THP and Nike for a great ooportunity!

I play the Nike VR Splits currently and I would like to test these babies... i have been a playing Nikes for awhile and would love to have the have these in my bag...

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike VR Split Cavity
2. What is your handicap index? 17.0
3. What do you look for in an iron set? A combination of forgiveness and accuracy... and something that look great on address and in the bag.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think these are great, they have the looks of a Mizzy .. very classy.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 2x a week for practice and once on a league, i will take these out regularly on the course and probably 3x a week on the range to check out its performance, where i would rate the club base on ints forgiveness, workability and feel. Also would try to see how it reacts on different kinds of shots for the my handicap. I also believe that the review i would be giving would be helpful for people on mid-high handicap which most people on the forums would appreciate.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Tour Burner (2008)
2. What is your handicap index? 5.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Solid feel. Workability through the entire set. A more traditional look, thinner top and bottom lines. Actual three, four and five irons not hybrids; I just don't hit hybrids very well. My current irons, I love the long irons but the short irons will not let the ball cut and are way too easy to hook. I like the idea of a combo set with the short irons being more like blades and the long irons being easier to hit with the transition between the two in the mid irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like the looks of these irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I would test the irons on the range and take them to our fitter to get numbers in comparison with my current irons. I would play the irons at least four times per week. I would take them on the road with me to Oregon later this summer as I am about back to full strength and ready to travel again. For my THP activity level, I comb the topics looking for things I feel qualified to comment on and occasionally share an opinion as well. I am looking to be more involved.

We will keep signup open for a few more days.

Wow. I have often wondered how the combo of blades and cavity backs would play out together. Very clean looking as well.

Back