Matrix Ozik HD Programs Graphite Iron Shafts

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. As this year has gone on my body has been deteriorating. My back will always hurt but lately my wrists and fingers have been killing me. Last weekend I hit a bucket of balls and came home and couldn't type due to swollen fingers and wrists. I decided I needed to look into graphite iron shafts. Called up my club guy and he says he has a graphite pull sitting in the back room. It ends up he has the Matrix Ozik HD Program shaft. This is about as high end as high end gets so to say I was excited is an understatement. Sent him a Burner 2.0 6I and he put it in. I picked it up this morning.

This thread will be my ongoing evalutation of this shaft. First I want to post some pictures and a little first impression. When he handed me the club I was blown away and disappointed. The shaft and club head went together perfectly. It looks incredible in person. Problem is I choked on the grip selection. I tried the GP VDR's and I got it in white!! I should have gone black but I had a brain fart. Oh well you can't win them all. Good news is I love the grip. I can always change it if need be. So I had about 30 minutes before I had to be home so of course I headed out to the range to hit some balls.

Took a few practice swings with my clubs and I was not hitting the ball well. Just poor contact due to lazy swings. So I grab the 6I and took a practice swing. Wow this shaft is stout. I was surprised as most of the graphite iron shafts I had swung before had been somewhat noodleish. Hit the first ball and blah! Again just poor contact. So I decide to hit some punch shots and these came off very nicely. Keeping the ball low with this shaft is easy. Real easy. Not used to that coming from the Di11's and the uniflex. I feel I'm getting into a little rhythm and so I start taking some full swings and wow. This shaft produces a towering and yet penetrating shot. It is a sight to behold. My ball flight was a real high small fade which is not a shot that I am used to but it was beautiful. Went home real happy and snapped some pics.

0061280x768.jpg

0071280x768.jpg

0081280x768.jpg

0101280x768.jpg

0111280x768.jpg

0121280x768r.jpg

0131280x768.jpg

After dinner I was so happy that I went back to the range to hit more balls. I hit 2 more buckets and I continued hitting just massive towering 6 iron shots with just the smallest of fades. I ended up hitting 3 buckets of balls today. So close to 300 balls. With my irons I would not be typing this right now due to swollen fingers and wrists. Right now my wrist and fingers feel completely fine. I got plenty of feedback from the shaft I just didn't get the vibration coming back up that plays havoc with me. Plus I made sure I hit off mats so that I could really test out the vibration dampening. So far so good. I will continue to hit this shaft and update this thread. Anyone who has any questions please ask away.

I think the white looks quite good CL. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Great thread and pics, YF! That's a very nice looking shaft (NH) and I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes you. I have to say that all this graphite iron shaft talk is grabbing my interest.

Hawk this shaft plays as stout as any steel iron shaft I've ever hit. This thing is outstanding

Hawk this shaft plays as stout as any steel iron shaft I've ever hit. This thing is outstanding

Ouch at the price! That's really too bad because I don't know that I could pull that off. It very well could be worth it though, especially if it makes the game less detrimental to your health/pain level.

Love this shaft! It was in the Adams Pro A12 Hybrid at Demo Day and I loved the feel and launch during demo day that I checked it out for the weekend rounds. Beautiful high flight with great penetration on even the easiest of swings. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one as you play it more.

And the white grip is not THAT big of a deal when it's Yorkem's friends swinging it!

Yeah if I decide these are for me I will be looking for pulls. No way I could afford a full set brand new.

Spoke to the people at Matrix about this one last week. They believe this is one of the best iron shafts in the world.

Spoke to the people at Matrix about this one last week. They believe this is one of the best iron shafts in the world.

Well I won't go that far since I'm deep in the throes of honeymoon phase. But they are incredible. I would put them top 1 right now!! I thought I just said I wouldn't go that far?

I'm far from an expert on shafts but +1 from me on this one. If I had the padding in my wallet, I'd put these in my irons in a heartbeat.

those things look great, love the look. I have never hit a graphite iron shaft i liked but its been about 4 or 5 years since i hit one though, just from the price of these i wouldnt put them in my clubs but then again im not having hand/finger/back health issues, might be well worth it if it solves your health problems and lets you play more

A red and black grip would look smokin with that! I know what my next big expense is going to be!

Im going to look into this for my next set of clubs. Great review Chunky.

On another note, look at those tiny little feet!

Uhm that was my son holding the club. Yeah that's the ticket. My son

Im going to look into this for my next set of clubs. Great review Chunky.

On another note, look at those tiny little feet!

I'm more concerned that those feet have shoes on, inside the house on the carpet.

I'm more concerned that those feet have shoes on, inside the house on the carpet.

Right by the front door CB. Right by the front door.

I'm giving a hard eyeball at these too CL. I'm tired or not being able to do squat after a range sessions because my hands are killing me.

I'll be keeping track of this one and your comments as they come

Just noticed this thread. Awesome stuff chunky! I will also be testing this shaft. From my limited experience so far with it, it's phenomenal. High, long and feels ridiculously smooth. You're right though, it's definitely stout but to me, in a good way. Ill get some pics taken and posted once we get settled in the new place for sure.

I'm glad you went this route buddy. I think you'll benefit greatly from a shaft like this.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Great pick-up Chunky. Keep us updated as I too sometimes suffer the hands/fingers soreness. May just be the ticket down the road.

Curious about the stiffness of the shaft? This is still a factor in graphite shafts is it not? Maybe I just overlooked it. This is a "higher end" shaft so I didn't know if that was a factor.

Most high end graphite shafts have the same flex options as steel. This one is included.
Curious about the stiffness of the shaft? This is still a factor in graphite shafts is it not? Maybe I just overlooked it. This is a "higher end" shaft so I didn't know if that was a factor.

Just noticed this thread. Awesome stuff chunky! I will also be testing this shaft. From my limited experience so far with it, it's phenomenal. High, long and feels ridiculously smooth. You're right though, it's definitely stout but to me, in a good way. Ill get some pics taken and posted once we get settled in the new place for sure.

I'm glad you went this route buddy. I think you'll benefit greatly from a shaft like this.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Skimmer alert: What flex are you testing in these TC? I've been told they play a flex soft to irons in that the X-stiff frequencies out just a hair stiffer then the S300's for example but I don't have any data to back that up.

Thanks, a lot info on that site. I think my best bet is to find a fitting somewhere and see what shaft gets recommened.

Back