Callaway UPro MX GPS

I emailed technical support and they replied the next day, we will see this time...

So Iw as all psyched on Sunday to break out the MX and see how it performed. Everything started great n the first tee and then a popup came on the screen which read Battery level critically low:bulgy-eyes: I guess when I was playing with it at home I never turned it off so unfortunately no real review from me yet:banghead: I did read through the manual and it says reducing the backlighting to < 40% significantly increases battery life. I was able to still see the screen well indoors in the high 20s% range. Next time out I will see how that low light level performs outdoors.

I think callaway stepping up and offering 5 free pro mode courses is decent though snce I plan on purchaing the unlimited a discount woudl work better for me. I guess instead I wil use the 5 as a demo to see if I want to spend the 60 bucks. Yeah who am I kidding lol

Brock, what droid app do you use. I'm always looking for some good free golf gps apps.

I use the swing by swing.

It is a free app but you can pay for more if you want to use it to score your round and save. I think the free one works great. Gives you plenty of info to any part of the hole you are on. It is worth checking out. I've recommended it to a few people. Push comes to shove you can just delete the app.

spent a few rounds with this last weekend. It has some nice features and some features that need improved. saving a bulk of it for the writeup.

Update: I am such a stupid. I had the battery in backwards. Intuitively, one might think the Callaway logo'd side would be face up, but it should be face down. It fits either way (not a good thing for a dummy like me!). Fortunately, it is now charging and seems to be working fine. Props and thanks to skywalker for the tip!

I just got mine in the mail today. I am able to get the screen to come on when I plug it in but it shows as fully charged and the red light blinks (which supposedly means fully charged). When I unplug it from the wall it goes dark.

I suspect it just needs charging but has anyone else experienced the unit reading 100% charged/red light blinking out of the box? I have my fingers crossed I do not have a bad unit. When I have it plugged into the charger it reads 98% in the General setting. When I unplug it, it goes black immediately. I have a feeling the battery is screwed up. Anyone experience this right out of the box? Worse, I used an ebay seller that I just noticed does not accept returns! Will Callaway stand behind this since it is a new unit?

Last edited:
So Iw as all psyched on Sunday to break out the MX and see how it performed. Everything started great n the first tee and then a popup came on the screen which read Battery level critically low:bulgy-eyes: I guess when I was playing with it at home I never turned it off so unfortunately no real review from me yet:banghead: I did read through the manual and it says reducing the backlighting to < 40% significantly increases battery life. I was able to still see the screen well indoors in the high 20s% range. Next time out I will see how that low light level performs outdoors.

I think callaway stepping up and offering 5 free pro mode courses is decent though snce I plan on purchaing the unlimited a discount woudl work better for me. I guess instead I wil use the 5 as a demo to see if I want to spend the 60 bucks. Yeah who am I kidding lol

Ahhh that must have been disappointing. That would be like buying a new driver only to have the head fall off on the first drive. Keep us up-to-date on your review.

Has the Callaway site gone live yet?

Ahhh that must have been disappointing. That would be like buying a new driver only to have the head fall off on the first drive. Keep us up-to-date on your review.

lol yeah it sucked big time. I'm getting out again on Sunday finally so I should have some thoughts for next week. My kids' lacrosse schedules are driving me nuts right now. Due to early season rainouts I have games/practice pertty much every day until the 14th.

Callaway UPRO Support: I resolved the battery issue -- it was my fault. Used it for the first time today and it worked great. Scrolling is a little difficult to get used to and I am really looking forward to the Pro Mode being activated. It is compact, responsive and easy to see in the sunlight. I had about 43% battery left after 18 holes. So everyone knows, Callaway UPRO Support responded (see attached) in less than 12 hours after I sent an email about a potential problem (which turned out to be my fault).

Tucsondivots -
Thank you for purchasing a upro mx device and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the battery. It is a little difficult to troubleshoot without speaking with you directly but one quick suggestion is to give the battery connectors on the device and those located on the battery a gentle wipe with a clean cloth to remove any oxidation that might be present. Then re-install the battery and ensure that the Callaway logo on the battery is facing down. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact Callaway uPro Technical Support at upro_support@callawaygolf.com or 888-358-5788. We are confident we can help you resolve the issue in one way or another. Thanks again.

good news Tucsondivots.
I really want to pull the trigger on one of these, but the wife & I play this 12 hole course alot and it is not on the list of courses. The main 18 hole is but not the Challenge course. I have sent 2 emails asking and have yet to hear back from them about how to get this course on the device.

still not happy with this purchase.

So I reduced the backlight to 20% for todays rounds

Only worked for 28 holes again, and this is on a course I know, so I dont even use it on every shot.

I really need something that I can count on for longer, if I only wanted a few hours of usage, Id use my phone gps

That's weird Mike. I plugged mine in after 18 holes today and it said it was at 73%.

I'll let you know when I play more than 18 how it holds up, but I doubt that charge is a lie haha!

still not happy with this purchase.

So I reduced the backlight to 20% for todays rounds

Only worked for 28 holes again, and this is on a course I know, so I dont even use it on every shot.

I really need something that I can count on for longer, if I only wanted a few hours of usage, Id use my phone gps

hey bud maybe you have a bad battery, i would call them and tell them whats going on and i bet they send you a new battery

hey bud maybe you have a bad battery, i would call them and tell them whats going on and i bet they send you a new battery

yeah I had an email going back and fort with callaway, sent my reply tonight, so we will wait and see

Yeah there are a couple of quality eBayer's selling these things...

I know jacksgolf has them for 170, but with 12 dollar shipping. Have bought from him before, great product. Weirdly enough, the last package I got shipped from GPP golf.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Callaw...ultDomain_0&hash=item25644628cb#ht_692wt_1141

////Edit: Just looked at your search Smallie, wow those are some good prices!! I didn't expect some of them to be so low!

Jacksgolf is GPP's ebay store

u can use golf galaxy coupons and get $20 off of the $200 price, or get $250 worth of goods for $200

I am really interested in this unit as I hate paying Skycaddie the fees. Thanks for the updates everyone

Used mine yesterday it locked up four times on me for 18 holes, hope its just a bad battery

That sucks detp! I have not had any issues like that at all in the 6-8 rounds or so that I've used it! Did you contact customer service?

I am really interested in this unit as I hate paying Skycaddie the fees. Thanks for the updates everyone

hahaha...remember this conversation? your face was priceless.

I must of missed this one but finally caught it. It is very nice unit. On the Video did you notice the name of the first golfer on the score.........Ok I'll tell you..... JB was the first name

Back