Why do you switch balls in cold weather???

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Price - due to it being harder to find the ball on the non green background??
Core - Hard vs Soft?
Cover - Suryln vs Urethane vs ???

Just wondering as I see people switching up as soon as the cold weather hits....

thx
bama

I don't bama. I play my B330RX golf balls year round.

I've been playing the same ball this year and I haven't noticed any drop off. i can see others in real cold climates doing so though. I frankly swing so hard it defies seasons.

Good question bama. I don't switch and always wondered what people define as cold weather. It seems I play in below 60* temps for almost half of my season in MN.

Urethane doesn't compress as well in cold temps. Moving to a lower compression ball offsets that.

Urethane doesn't compress as well in cold temps. Moving to a lower compression ball offsets that.

Pretty much this. On the first tee when it's cold, my penta makes a "thud" noise and I know it's time to use a Gamer V2

I don't change balls types.
I use two balls, one to play and one in my pocket to warm and play the next hole.

I play ProV1 from June-August (prime months) then use NXT Tour before and after that. CUSTOM #21 ON MY BALL!!!

Here I switch for few reasons, I go to a lower compression ball as the temperature is about 20* colder than summer/fall/spring golf, and the conditions are so wet that the golf ball you play really doesn't matter, when the ball hits the green it just stops! Also, because golf is so much harder here in the winter, HC's are frozen, so you are really just out there for fun and to work on your game.

Price - due to it being harder to find the ball on the non green background??
Core - Hard vs Soft?
Cover - Suryln vs Urethane vs ???

Just wondering as I see people switching up as soon as the cold weather hits....

thx
bama

i usually buy the cheapest ball i can for the winter i usually lose a lot for some reason and i hate looking for balls when its cold out. I just bought 4 dozen maxfli revolutions for $20! i figure ill lose them between the leaves, snow, and my swing change this year and now i won't get pissed for losing an expensive ball. unless i end up playing a nice course then i may use a nicer ball for that round but for the local dog track this winter yeah ill use the cheapo balls

I don't change balls types.
I use two balls, one to play and one in my pocket to warm and play the next hole.

Now that's what I'm talking about. It's an absolute must to keep your balls warm in cold weather!

I've never really played winter golf to be honest. Just never tried much.
But if I had to I would keep my same prov1.

I don't bama. I play my B330RX golf balls year round.

Me too.......and I don't play once it gets below 50 or so degrees.

Yep, time to break out the Top Flight Magna!

I like yellow balls in the fall and winter. Easy for me to find over white ones.

Me too.......and I don't play once it gets below 50 or so degrees.

I usually stick with the RX, but my cut off to walk is 40* or above, so anything sub 50* is usually a AD333 or Noodle for me.

I play my Bridgestne balls year round. If the weather is bad, or the course is really soft, iwill switch to the ProVs I have found, or tneTaylormade balls I have found.

I have been playing the Qstar since it got colder, IMO its a lot harder to compress a ball when its 35* compared to 80*+ in the summer, plus the ball feels quite a bit harder when its that cold.

For me it's cost. When it's 29 degrees out and I can't immediately find my ball I take a drop and move on. I've rolled my ball into piles of snow along the FW. Hitting out of snow is pretty fun actually. Point is I don't want to wander around in the cold looking for an expensive ball. AD333's or Titleit SoLo's do the trick for me. May try the yellow E6 this year.

I play the B-330-RX most of the year, but when it is very cold I will play the e-5 as the ground will give some crazy bounces when it is hard and I will lose balls much more easily than I will when it is warmer.

I play the B330-RX all year long...I have a buddy that has some battery operated heated socks and when it's below 40 he puts balls in the socks in his bag to warm them and then rotates a new one every other hole.

As mentioned the higher compresion balls don't like the cold. I find the Penta and 330RX performance goes waaay down when the weather gets gnarly here, plus at that point anything will hold the green until they freeze.

I like the E6 for a winter ball or the Diablo. Even in the cold the E6 feels fairly decent while the Diablo ball is ace when it's both cold and windy. Plus there's the cost factor for both since 1/3 drives is likely to be plugged so bad you won't find the ball until April.

Back