Are putting mats any good/worth it?

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
Just trying to figure out what to do in the winter since I just got back into golf after not playing since I was about 14 I'm just trying to figure out what I should do in the winter.
One thing I was wondering about was the indoor putting mats with the automatic ball return. Are they any help?
There's only one range where I live and it's outdoor but open all year round so when it's not too cold I can check it out at least.
Any tips/suggestions?
Can't really swing a club indoors since the ceilings are too low

Depends on the mat....most of the ones you decribe with the auto ball return.....NO...but there are some good ones just a bit more pricey....Birdie ball makes a good one that isnt too expensive...there are tons of reviews on this site just use the search feature and put in indoor putting mats....you will get all kinds of info.

Depends on the mat....most of the ones you decribe with the auto ball return.....NO...but there are some good ones just a bit more pricey....Birdie ball makes a good one that isnt too expensive...there are tons of reviews on this site just use the search feature and put in indoor putting mats....you will get all kinds of info.
we'll I'm a university student so something less expensive and portable is pretty essential

If im correct i believe the one Tim mentioned is only around 75 bucks and goes from there. But i could be mistaken..

Mine has been invaluable in helping me be a better putter. Sure they may not be as good as a real green, but for working on your stroke they're legit. It makes practicing more fun and convienent.

--
tapatalk

I am seriously considering one of these. Thanks for all the thoughts!

My wife picked up the lil Murph for me for xmas and let me open it early after being selected for the MC. The THP review seems spot on and so far so good.

I think they're great. It allows you to really get going on that stroke. Especially for us poor saps in the cold northern climates.

Alex

Been looking at the 4ft by 9ft bi directional Birdieball mat for a few days. First time I am seeing the Big/Little Murph. I like being able to hit breaking putts. Not sure if there is a system for that on Birdieball. Has anyone putted on both? Wondering if one is the clear winner.

Been looking at the 4ft by 9ft bi directional Birdieball mat for a few days. First time I am seeing the Big/Little Murph. I like being able to hit breaking putts. Not sure if there is a system for that on Birdieball. Has anyone putted on both? Wondering if one is the clear winner.

I am also looking at the 4 x 9. Also, you can save some money if "In the notes section while closing out, just type in the word "upgrade" and receive an upgrade from one putting green size to the next." As far as the breaking putts, yes you can put somthing under the mat and develop break.

I've got a Tour Links. Pricier, but very nice. The "Murph's" look good too and are a little less money.

The one I reviewed was a good cheap option. I still use it. I'm just looking to work on the stroke and make short putts over and over and over and over and over again hehe.

I ordered a 4' wide x 9' long BirdieBall putting green today. They are having a great sale with free upgrades to the next size if you put "upgrade" and size you want (next size up) in the comments section.

I ordered a 4' wide x 9' long BirdieBall putting green today. They are having a great sale with free upgrades to the next size if you put "upgrade" and size you want (next size up) in the comments section.

Make sure you follow up and let us know how you like it. It is on my radar and I it would be good to know what you think of it.
Thanks in advance. :act-up:

Make sure you follow up and let us know how you like it. It is on my radar and I it would be good to know what you think of it.
Thanks in advance. :act-up:

will do!

I really want to get an indoor mat, but my whole house is carpet expect for my kitchen which doesnt really have room for me to lay a mat down and putt on. i need a good option that works well on carpet. i really like the birdie ball mats, but i've read on here they arent good on carpet.

Any ideas on mats for someone in my situation?

I really want to get an indoor mat, but my whole house is carpet expect for my kitchen which doesnt really have room for me to lay a mat down and putt on. i need a good option that works well on carpet. i really like the birdie ball mats, but i've read on here they arent good on carpet.

Any ideas on mats for someone in my situation?

I'm in the same type of situation, in my basement where I have my net and my whole man-cave, I know the birdieball is like the best or one of the best so I was really looking at this one.

Alittle confused on birdieballs ordering. I'm looking at the 13.5 ft one or even the 9ft one but why is there already a $40 charge for the indoor type of thing. I'm just alittle confused.

I hinted to my wife that I'd like a putting green and gave her the link and discount instructions for the BirdieBall. It's a pretty big package so it was hard to miss its arrival last week.

Anyway, let's just say I've been cleaning out a spot in the garage for it in case I happen to get one on Chirstmas day. :angel:

I'll follow up with my impressions.

P.S. I presumed she ordered the dual stimp, muni speed to match my course like I suggested.

I got a Birdieball last winter and the strongest part of my game is putting now. Could also be that I read The Art of Putting religiously or the new putter I picked up. But it was nice to read something and then try it right away.

I have a Birdie Ball one and I think it is great. :) Hopefully my putting will be better next year than ever before!

Back