TaylorMade, the next Titleist?

I agree. It's not that they don't make quality stuff. I think that TM is overshadowing everyone with the excitement surrounding their gear. Overall, from what I've heard, the performance between the R11 and 910 is similar, but the R11 is the bigger club because it's white.

People are easily impressed by new things that claim to be revolutionary.. does the white head do anything to the performance? Im not sure, but it looks cool and in golf I believe a lot of people think looking cool is half the battle.

Its a very gray area on largest right now.
Not all the companies are public, so reporting does not technically have to be done.
You rely on figures from other sources such as Golf Datatech.

If you count balls and shoes, I would say Acushnet is the biggest personally.
If you are going on equipment only I would not think they are anymore.

Then you get into the gray area of apparel, because if you are going to count shoes, I would think you have to count the rest of hte apparel and Nike and adidas are VERY big companies on that front.

You think that can last forever? I think eventaully, that kind of marketing could grow stale. No one like to hear the same thing over and over. The time will come when TM will have to re-invent itself IMO. It may be down the road (much down the road) but it does have to happen.

Why couldn't it last forever? There will always be younger demographics into and being introduced to the game of golf. They will watch TV and see how much cooler TM commercials are than the others. Pretty simple formula for success.

With technology impacting golf so much now. And technology changing so quickly I don't think brand loyalty matters. Taylor made has adidas money. Nike has their own I think other companies will have a hard time keeping up with r&d long term with those two.

Why couldn't it last forever? There will always be younger demographics into and being introduced to the game of golf. They will watch TV and see how much cooler TM commercials are than the others. Pretty simple formula for success.

I don't disagree, but I think nothing can last forever. People already rag on TM for releasing drivers what seems like every year. So their marketing strategy will have to evolve over time.

I agree that TM is one of the OEMs that "get it". Their testing with THP prooves that. But in let's say in 10 years, will they still be top dog?

I don't disagree, but I think nothing can last forever. People already rag on TM for releasing drivers what seems like every year. So their marketing strategy will have to evolve over time.

I agree that TM is one of the OEMs that "get it". Their testing with THP prooves that. But in let's say in 10 years, will they still be top dog?

9-iron,

only time will tell. No one has a crystal ball and can predict 10 years down the road. I think they have a very good chance, but it depends on keeping the young demographic, and by producing clubs that look good they can continue to do that. Sometimes I believe to a lot of the younger golfers (I am in this demographic) that looks sell a club as much as performance.

Every year? More than every year.
Ironically that is what makes them profitable right now.
Look at the forum and golf sites in general. Look at the midnight launch of the R11.
People had to have it before ever trying it.

TM gets it from a marketing stand point right now.

Look at the forum and golf sites in general. Look at the midnight launch of the R11.

Sounds like TM is the apple of golf!

9-iron,

only time will tell. No one has a crystal ball and can predict 10 years down the road. I think they have a very good chance, but it depends on keeping the young demographic, and by producing clubs that look good they can continue to do that. Sometimes I believe to a lot of the younger golfers (I am in this demographic) that looks sell a club as much as performance.

I know marketing has played a huge role in TM's success. I too have been caught up in the hype. Without a doubt, the R11 has been one of the most profitable releases for TM. But many people did go back and return theirs after buying one because it just didn't work for them. Sure marketing got them in the door, but it could not keep it in their hands. At least not everyone.

I am in no way trying to rag on TM in any way, shape or form. I'm merely raising points for the sake of the discussion.

Sounds like TM is the apple of golf!

Very true.

I know marketing has played a huge role in TM's success. I too have been caught up in the hype. Without a doubt, the R11 has been one of the most profitable releases for TM. But many people did go back and return theirs after buying one because it just didn't work for them. Sure marketing got them in the door, but it could not keep it in their hands. At least not everyone.

I am in no way trying to rag on TM in any way, shape or form. I'm merely raising points for the sake of the discussion.

Very true.

That happens to every club 9I.
Non-fitting drivers are hard to make work better than something one is comfortable with.
But sales are sales, and there are a LOT of white drivers out on the courses right now.
If someone thinks that the S3 or another brand are the reason for that, I got news for them.

Do you think TM actually care if we hit them straight or get the ball of the ground?

Do you think TM actually care if we hit them straight or get the ball of the ground?

Me personally? Yes.
Because if you do, you will quickly buy the next product they put out.

That happens to every club 9I.
Non-fitting drivers are hard to make work better than something one is comfortable with.
But sales are sales, and there are a LOT of white drivers out on the courses right now.
If someone thinks that the S3 or another brand are the reason for that, I got news for them.

True enough.

In a way though, TM is TM's own worst enemy. They have to keep the R&D and marketing train going otherwise they will start to loose share and ultimately $$$. That means they need to keep the excitement level up for all of their releases. To constantly outdo oneself is tough work. It helps to have adidas behind them and as the TMaG Staff continue to do well on Tour, it can only mean bigger and better things. The problem will be when they miss-step, not to say that Titleist did, but they are loosing share. I guess I'm saying it's hard to keep the level that TM is opperating at going for the long term. At least in my opinion anyways.

Me personally? Yes.
Because if you do, you will quickly buy the next product they put out.

I agree, I happened to be one of those people.When R11 first came out I changed my r9 instantly without even trying the R11... Unfortunately for me when I did hit other drivers (thank you JB) I found out that I actually hit other drivers much better,than my R11.. :banghead:

True enough.

In a way though, TM is TM's own worst enemy. They have to keep the R&D and marketing train going otherwise they will start to loose share and ultimately $$$. That means they need to keep the excitement level up for all of their releases. To constantly outdo oneself is tough work. It helps to have adidas behind them and as the TMaG Staff continue to do well on Tour, it can only mean bigger and better things. The problem will be when they miss-step, not to say that Titleist did, but they are loosing share. I guess I'm saying it's hard to keep the level that TM is opperating at going for the long term. At least in my opinion anyways.

I disagree.
It has not hurt Titleist with the golf balls year after year.
And with TM, its amazing what a little paint and some marketing will do.

I disagree.

I wonder how long the were holding on to the white idea , somebody is a genius!

I don't understand the issue with releasing drivers every year.
Almost every manufacturer of every product sold releases new products every year.
Cars, clothes, computers, phones, etc, etc...
I don't see TM's marketing strategy needing to change. Why fix what's not broken?

I disagree.

I hear ya.

I don't understand the issue with releasing drivers every year.
Almost every manufacturer of every product sold releases new products every year.
Cars, clothes, computers, phones, etc, etc...
I don't see TM's marketing strategy needing to change. Why fix what's not broken?

Because people buy new drivers every year

Because people buy new drivers every year

By choice.
Just as some buy new computers, phone or cars every year as well.

I disagree.

I agree with you JB, amazing marketing. Although I am a TM guy (trying to be objective), that white paint sold me in seconds. Catchy jingle, sold. Even the most annoying aspects of the commercials get stuck your head. From a psychological standpoint, they use various tools like the mere exposure effect brilliantly. The more you see something or hear it, there stands more of a chance you will like it.

I agree with you JB, amazing marketing. Although I am a TM guy (trying to be objective), that white paint sold me in seconds. Catchy jingle, sold. Even the most annoying aspects of the commercials get stuck your head. From a psychological standpoint, they use various tools like the mere exposure effect brilliantly. The more you see something or hear it, there stands more of a chance you will like it.

Did you just go out and buy it or did you demo it first? just wondering

Is it possible that maybe in 10-20-30 years from now, people will start to think of TaylorMade as elitist?

I think the difference between Taylormade and Titleist is that Taylormade has always created items for the hack golfer. (Guys like me! :silly:) Where Titleist for the longest time only made "players" clubs. So in as much as TaylorMade could grow into elitist, I think Titleist will grow into a broader product range company as more and more companies nibble away at the high-end market share.

Did you just go out and buy it or did you demo it first? just wondering

I always demo before I purchase a club.

I think the difference between Taylormade and Titleist is that Taylormade has always created items for the hack golfer. (Guys like me! :silly:) Where Titleist for the longest time only made "players" clubs. So in as much as TaylorMade could grow into elitist, I think Titleist will grow into a broader product range company as more and more companies nibble away at the high-end market share.

I hear what you're saying. However, I wouldn't say the R11 line is for the average hacker. It's been proven time and time again that the characteristics just aren't for most of us. Yes they have the SF2.0 which would suit more of us better, but from what I understand (JB, please correct me if I'm wrong) the R11 has vastly outsold the 2.0.

The majority of us need a high-spin driver which the R11 is not. So TM's big release this year isn't for the majority of the players out there (much like Titleist's gear). Again I say this for the sake of the discussion.

Back