Soaring Ball Flight

James

Reaction score
Handicap
Recently at a range session I found that I was hitting my 7 iron up to 9 iron really high, higher than normal. I then began to research this and found that worn out grooves can give a ballooning ball flight. However I then remembered that I haven't really been washing my clubs thoroughly. Could this be a contributor to the ball flight issue? Or has my swing just changed?

There are a lot of factors that could contribute to a higher than normal ball flight. My guess is that it more your angle of attack into the ball more so than dirty grooves. You could be coming in steeper with more club head speed and this will aid in a higher ball flight.

I've noticed the same thing. My irons are brand new my golf coach told me "don't worry about it today's clubs are made to go higher" I guess I wont worry for now but on a windy day that might be a different story

I've noticed the same thing. My irons are brand new my golf coach told me "don't worry about it today's clubs are made to go higher" I guess I wont worry for now but on a windy day that might be a different story

With those AP1s you will definitely get a higher ball flight, and yes it is intentional. A higher ball flight is desirable in many circumstances provided its not so high that you are losing distance.

Back