Exercise & Health

It's amazing how much better you feel after drinking large amounts of water. I have slowly started to increase more and more water in my diet. I would love to try to go on a 85 percent water intake and drop diet coke down more. I love the sweet taste of a cold coke but I bet if a person stayed on pure water more, the health benefits would stand out.

This time of the year in the south, you get to do it all. Drink large quantities of water, iced tea, diet cokes, G2 gatorade, Arnold Palmer mix and still need more. I have started carrying those little packs of Arnold Palmer mix then mix them right in my water bottle 5 or 6 per round. Five calories and delicious!

We ran out of water at Old Union today, no on course water! No food concession either so be prepared.

You guys ever notice weight training have a negative effect on your golf game? I can't stop thinking about Duvall.

You guys ever notice weight training have a negative effect on your golf game? I can't stop thinking about Duvall.

I can't see that being true for the most part. In fact, most pros these days appear to be in better shape than those in the previous years of golf. Combining weight training and cardio with a flexibility program should improve your game. Increased, strength, flexibility, and stabilization should lead to longer, straighter shots and more control all over the course.

I guess I will see for myself in another 10 months! :fingers-crossed:

Today's fitness activity: Walked 18 holes (in 32* heat) and swam in the pool for 45 minutes.

Edit: I had a bit of extra energy so I decided to do a body weight circuit. Here is what the circuit looks like:
Reverse Crunch
Sit-Up
Standing D-Bell Trunk Rotation
Push-ups
Chin-ups
Inverted Row
Bulgarian Split Squat
Shrugs
Chair Dips
Pull-ups
Swiss Ball Leg Curl
Shadow Boxing

I do each exercise in succession, taking no time between exercises. I only did one set today since I had already had an active day. I can't do near the reps I could a few months ago, but I should be able to in a couple of months. I know it will come, but it is disappointing knowing where I was and that I am back at square one.

Last edited:
Just got back from the gym and slammed down a ice cold whey protein shake. Man was that some good stuff :thumb:. I eat me a can of mustard sardines for lunch (sardine sandwich) with the shake. I know KellyBo is turning up her nose on the sardines but man they are good for ya. Took me a shower and all refreshed and ready to play some golf in the Wednesday night scramble this evening at 6 p.m.

Just got back from the gym and slammed down a ice cold whey protein shake. Man was that some good stuff :thumb:. I eat me a can of mustard sardines for lunch (sardine sandwich) with the shake. I know KellyBo is turning up her nose on the sardines but man they are good for ya. Took me a shower and all refreshed and ready to play some golf in the Wednesday night scramble this evening at 6 p.m.

Sounds like a productive day! Good show!

I read an article on Outside.com about a book called "Four Hour Body". I ended up buying the book on amazon.com right after reading that article. I read most of the book over the 4th Holidays and it really fired me up.

So, last night I bought 2 kettleballs (25 and 35 lbs). Let the muscle aches begin. 3x/week of swings, squats and deadlift type movements, along with some "core" exercises. My wife's on a moms & kids only vacation with some of our other family. She's in for a surprise. :angel:

I haven't had a coke since lunch on the 4th. Instead, I've replaced that with a Hydroxycut powder that goes into 16 oz bottled waters. Drinking 2 of those a day along with iced tea and more water. No carbonated beverages at all, now.

I'm amping up my beef intake, and got back on the multi-vitamin, along with a B Complex, which I need due to some other meds causing loss of those vitamins.

Hopefully, I'll do better this summer than I did this winter with the 5-10-15. The holidays were not kind to my stomach.

Ole Gray, is the canoe going towards the banjos, or way? :D

I read an article on Outside.com about a book called "Four Hour Body". I ended up buying the book on amazon.com right after reading that article. I read most of the book over the 4th Holidays and it really fired me up.

So, last night I bought 2 kettleballs (25 and 35 lbs). Let the muscle aches begin. 3x/week of swings, squats and deadlift type movements, along with some "core" exercises. My wife's on a moms & kids only vacation with some of our other family. She's in for a surprise. :angel:

I haven't had a coke since lunch on the 4th. Instead, I've replaced that with a Hydroxycut powder that goes into 16 oz bottled waters. Drinking 2 of those a day along with iced tea and more water. No carbonated beverages at all, now.

I'm amping up my beef intake, and got back on the multi-vitamin, along with a B Complex, which I need due to some other meds causing loss of those vitamins.

Hopefully, I'll do better this summer than I did this winter with the 5-10-15. The holidays were not kind to my stomach.

Ole Gray, is the canoe going towards the banjos, or way? :D

Good job my friend! Sounds like you are on the road to a body overhaul :thumb:

About the canoe, well you know how them mountain boys are with whatnot and all :D...... We are getting ready for our annual golf trip to the North Georgia mountains so we got to learn to paddle like hell down the river away from them mountain boys :blob:!!!

Good job my friend! Sounds like you are on the road to a body overhaul :thumb:

About the canoe, well you know how them mountain boys are with whatnot and all :D...... We are getting ready for our annual golf trip to the North Georgia mountains so we got to learn to paddle like hell down the river away from them mountain boys :blob:!!!

Thanks, OG!

When the 5-10-15 kicked off, I was 200. At one point in January, I got up to 210. I've been keeping it under 200 the past month. This morning, I was 195.

I also took measurements of arms, thighs, waist and hips. I know that once the kettleball starts working it's magic, the fat loss will end up netting out with the muscle gain. I think I'll have access to a BMI or caliper test next Tuesday.

I took the last 2 days off from working out as I was at the girlfriends house. One of the days was a cheat day and they are always a fun way to reward yourself. I had nachos, ice cream, and Doritos. When I cheat, I cheat big! I did golf on my day off so I got a bit of physical activity in.

I did circuit #1 today and it felt great. I have improved in either the weight or the number of reps in every exercise so I am definitely making gains right away. The circuit consists of the following:
Standing Oblique Crunch
D-Bell Toe Touch
Seated Twist
D-Bell Curls
D-Bell Bent Over Row
Side Lunge
Single Arm D-Bell Shoulder Press
Barbell Bench Press

Started the day off with a shake and banana bread. Walked 18 holes. Had a wrap for lunch. Worked out and had lasagna and garlic toast with milk immediately after so there was no need for a shake. Drinking some more water tonight and having another shake before bed. Taking the day off from golf tomorrow and going to do circuit #2 and probably some swimming.

Tip of the cap to 'ya on your mission.

I take the same supplements as you do. My creatine is Sci-Fit's Kre-Alkalyn 1500. Where I'd ALWAYS experienced stomach upset with various creatines, not so with the Kre-Alkalyn. Also, no loading phase necessary nor recommended. No sugary conveyance needed either.

In addition, I also take Metrx's Super Joint Guard. It's glucosamine with chondroitin to help support joint health. Also take an Omega-3-6-9 supplement. "NOW" is the brand I'm presently taking.

I'd also whole-heartedly recommend you take casein protein as your before bed shake. Casein gels in your stomach and can take up to 7 hours to digest, continuously fueling the muscles as you sleep. My strength noticeably spiked when I switched to casein about 6 months ago.

I have a very traditional regimen: Day 1: Legs, Day 2: Chest and tri's, Day 3: Back & bi's, Day 4: Shoulders. Calves and core are worked everyday, cardio every other.

As far as those concerned about weights negatively affecting your golf game, it's all about remaining as limber as possible. A muscle worked hard will naturally grow rigid with inactivity. Alhough it needs to heal before the next workout, that need doesn't equal inactivity. Get that blood pumping, slow continuous stretching, and you're good to go.

At 43, I can no longer go as heavy as I once did. But I can still bench press 225 lbs for as much as 28 reps (depending upon the day, could only do 23 reps yesterday) and squat 365 lbs for 20 reps. Today, I hit legs pretty darn hard including leg-presses of 10 reps with 22 45-lb plates. I'm scared to go much heavier, don't want to blow anything out. But consistency has still lent itself to some great strength gains in the form of increased reps. I'm nearly as strong as I was at 20 when I thought who the heck I was, lol...

My 15 yr old son has shown a genuine interest in working out so he's tagged along with me to the gym for the past week. His reaction to the weight I'm pushing has been very good for the ego. He had been feeling good about himself lately, playfully challenging his dad. Now he admits to being a little intimidated. :smile:

Playing golf tomorrow and expect to be just fine. :smile:

Tip of the cap to 'ya on your mission.

I take the same supplements as you do. My creatine is Sci-Fit's Kre-Alkalyn 1500. Where I'd ALWAYS experienced stomach upset with various creatines, not so with the Kre-Alkalyn. Also, no loading phase necessary nor recommended. No sugary conveyance needed either.

In addition, I also take Metrx's Super Joint Guard. It's glucosamine with chondroitin to help support joint health. Also take an Omega-3-6-9 supplement. "NOW" is the brand I'm presently taking.

I'd also whole-heartedly recommend you take casein protein as your before bed shake. Casein gels in your stomach and can take up to 7 hours to digest, continuously fueling the muscles as you sleep. My strength noticeably spiked when I switched to casein about 6 months ago.

I have a very traditional regimen: Day 1: Legs, Day 2: Chest and tri's, Day 3: Back & bi's, Day 4: Shoulders. Calves and core are worked everyday, cardio every other.

As far as those concerned about weights negatively affecting your golf game, it's all about remaining as limber as possible. A muscle worked hard will naturally grow rigid with inactivity. Alhough it needs to heal before the next workout, that need doesn't equal inactivity. Get that blood pumping, slow continuous stretching, and you're good to go.

At 43, I can no longer go as heavy as I once did. But I can still bench press 225 lbs for as much as 28 reps (depending upon the day, could only do 23 reps yesterday) and squat 365 lbs for 20 reps. Today, I hit legs pretty darn hard including leg-presses of 10 reps with 22 45-lb plates. I'm scared to go much heavier, don't want to blow anything out. But consistency has still lent itself to some great strength gains in the form of increased reps. I'm nearly as strong as I was at 20 when I thought who the heck I was, lol...

My 15 yr old son has shown a genuine interest in working out so he's tagged along with me to the gym for the past week. His reaction to the weight I'm pushing has been very good for the ego. He had been feeling good about himself lately, playfully challenging his dad. Now he admits to being a little intimidated. :smile:

Playing golf tomorrow and expect to be just fine. :smile:

That's all great to hear! I am wayyyy behind you on the bench and leg press, but am seeing gains all the time. Your numbers are very impressive!!! If I worry about comparing myself to others though, I am doomed. There will always be someone stronger, so I am worried about being the best I can be.

I considered taking Caesin but it is too expensive for me right now. At least most of the protein in milk is caesin. I am taking Optimum Nutrition for all of my supplements. I love their stuff. I didn't start taking the creatine or glutamine yet, but I think I am going to start tomorrow.

I totally agree on muscle size in relation to golf performance. As long as you are limber, then the added muscle will only help.

Thanks for the words!

That's all great to hear! I am wayyyy behind you on the bench and leg press, but am seeing gains all the time. Your numbers are very impressive!!! If I worry about comparing myself to others though, I am doomed. There will always be someone stronger, so I am worried about being the best I can be.

I considered taking Caesin but it is too expensive for me right now. At least most of the protein in milk is caesin. I am taking Optimum Nutrition for all of my supplements. I love their stuff. I didn't start taking the creatine or glutamine yet, but I think I am going to start tomorrow.

I totally agree on muscle size in relation to golf performance. As long as you are limber, then the added muscle will only help.

Thanks for the words!

I've been working out more on than off since 1986. First, for football then for power/bodybuilding (non-competitive). My strength increases were out of necessity, in my mind anyway. I was a good athlete but I took to football late. Lacking the proper technique, I felt like I had to get twice as strong just to realize 50% of the benefit. So I worked out hard and HEAVY.

Absolutely, don't ever compare yourself to others. I still guard against it and lol... as I get older, it gets harder. Everyday where you increase a rep or every week where you may have gotten 2.5 lbs stronger in a particular movement, you're better off for it. Keep focused and keep plowing ahead, sounds like you have a great approach.

Optimum Nutrition is excellent, matter of fact it's their casein protein which I use most often (chocolate-supreme and rocky-road are my faves). IDS Multi-Pro Whey is another great whey protein I've found which is cheaper than Optimum Nurtrition. I've only tried their "Belgian Chocolate," but I think it's excellent. I've since switched to it exclusively, my son also loves it. Mixes very well, thinner than typical shakes and similar to Optimum.

I most frequently buy my supplements through ProSource.net as their prices are very good and their fixed $5.95 shipping cost is excellent (free-ship for orders over $200, if memory serves). They run some great sales here and there and their in-house brand isn't bad at all, the few I've tried. I actually take ProSource Joint Command in conjunction with the MetRx Super Joint Guard... paranoid about the joints.

Good luck!

Well, I did circuit #2 today and it felt great. Again, I increased in either reps or amount of weight for every exercise. It is encouraging to see progress right off the bat. Here is what circuit #2 consists of:
D-Bell Chop
Swiss Ball Crunches
Medicine Ball Leg Raises
D-Bell Flyes
Tricep Kickback
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
Single Leg Standing Calf Raise
D-Bell Lat to Front Raise

I kicked off the morning with a multi v, shake, 2 eggs, and toast. Lost track of time and didn't snack, but had 26 oz of water before lunch. Had some lasagna and milk for lunch. Started my creatine and glutamine supplementation today. Took 3.75g of creatine before my workout and the same amount after, both times with orange Gatorade. Throw in a shake and bar with the post workout recovery and I am on my way today. Will finish off the night with a shake and 3-5g of glutamine.

Going to go for a swim too and boost the ole metabolism!

Man I just caught up on your thread and you are working hard! Great job and no doubt you will be in peak physical fitness when you coach your students. Having someone who coaches physical fitness and then works their butt off to prove it works, is a great inspiration to your students. :clapp:

Man I just caught up on your thread and you are working hard! Great job and no doubt you will be in peak physical fitness when you coach your students. Having someone who coaches physical fitness and then works their butt off to prove it works, is a great inspiration to your students. :clapp:

Thanks OG! Appreciate it!

My simple, homemade, healthy trail mix:
Handful each of
Shreddies
Cheerios
Natural, unsalted almonds
Unsalted Peanuts
Raisins

I love it!

Took some time today to take some measurements. Here they are...

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 170lbs
Shoulders: 44.50"
Chest: 36.00"
Stomach: 35.25"
Hips: 36.00"
Butt: 39.50"
Bicep: 13.25"
Forearm: 12.00"
Quad: 23.00"
Calf: 15.00"

Thanks for the butt measurement! lol

Keep up the good work. I'm an avid gym goer these days, love the pleasure of lifting heavy things.

Thanks for the butt measurement! lol

Keep up the good work. I'm an avid gym goer these days, love the pleasure of lifting heavy things.

Hahaha! The gf thought she was hilarious when she measured it. Thanks for the encouragement.

I had another decent day. did the multi and protein in the AM. Was unsure whether or not I would workout today, but did it anyway. Did my creatine before and after along with protein and carbs after too.

I tried something different workout wise. I wanted something with some cardio and weights. I did 4 sets of as many reps as possible of:
25 lb Dumbbell Swing
Pushups
Chinups
10 lb Shadow Strikes

It was a really intense workout and some great cardio. I rested for as little time as possible and did it all in just over 15 minutes.

It's been a bit since I posted. I have not been doing that well lately in regards to working out, thanks to a trip to Toronto. Didn't hit the gym or take any supplements, or eat well for that matter while there. The best thing I did was walk everywhere I went for 4 days. The only time I got a taxi was to and from the airport. Since I have been back I have exercised twice and am getting back into it. Typically this is the type of thing that would really derail me, but not this time!

Keep at it buddy and you are doing a great job for sure! I have been to the gym three days this week and I feel so much better right after the workouts.

Kicked today off right with a multi, shake, and a couple of scrambled eggs. A couple of sloppy joe's for lunch with a glass of water. Took creatine before and after the workout and a shake after too. Did my circuit #1 today for 3 sets for the first time. Thought I died when I finished! Felt good though. I used different weights and reps for each set to add some muscle confusion as well!

Back