Anyone right-handed keep a left-handed club in the bag?

Spud

Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 GHIN
I've been thinking about keeping a lefty 7i in the bag just in case for those tough angle shots, ie behind a tree. I don't use my 5i at all (use 4h), so I could possibly replace it with a left-handed club. I know, might be ridiculous since how many times would you actually be in a spot to have to use a left-handed club ...but I was in that spot in a recent tournament and it took me forever to decide what I wanted to do (take an unplayable or turn my club over and hope I make ok contact).

I just use my 6i backwards if I need to go that route. It'd work just as well ...

I just use my 6i backwards if I need to go that route. It'd work just as well ...
I had this come up in my last round. My approach ended up long and landed right next to a tree root. Turned my 52° upside down and played a chip shot as a lefty. I didn't get up and down for par unfortunately lol

Honestly I wouldn't put a club in my bag I might use once in awhile. I would rather have a club I use more often.

Interesting - I just mentioned this in another thread yesterday :) I am considering replacing my 4-iron with a right-handed 6 or 7 iron. I have hit my 4 iron *maybe* three times this year and could've used a righty club to get out of a jam at least that many times I don't think I would be losing much.

If I am playing a course with a lot of trees, I will sometimes throw an old two-sided putter in the bag.

I think I have only had to use it once, but it bought me 10 yards when I would have had nothing with a regular right handed shot.

Interesting - I just mentioned this in another thread yesterday :) I am considering replacing my 4-iron with a right-handed 6 or 7 iron. I have hit my 4 iron *maybe* three times this year and could've used a righty club to get out of a jam at least that many times I don't think I would be losing much.

So then what would you do if you land a drive at perfect 4 iron distance? You either go short or long? I just think it's silly to put a club in the bag for a weird shot that MIGHT happen. a 4 iron to me is more than just a certain yardage. being my lowest lofted iron it's also an escape and punch through trees or knock down distance for what would normally be a 5 or 6 iron in the wind. Just my opinion of course and obviously I'm no pro or instructor, but it just feels like you'd be intentionally limiting yourself for a random shot in which you probably won't get very good results either way.

Nope. Pretty much never have a need for it, and I wouldn't be able to hit it if I did. It's hard enough to hit the ball well right handed.

So then what would you do if you land a drive at perfect 4 iron distance? You either go short or long? I just think it's silly to put a club in the bag for a weird shot that MIGHT happen. a 4 iron to me is more than just a certain yardage. being my lowest lofted iron it's also an escape and punch through trees or knock down distance for what would normally be a 5 or 6 iron in the wind. Just my opinion of course and obviously I'm no pro or instructor, but it just feels like you'd be intentionally limiting yourself for a random shot in which you probably won't get very good results either way.

I'm only semi-serious about carrying a righty club anyway and agree (to a degree) that it's "silly". I don't hit my 4-iron because I am incredibly inconsistent with it (I know - practice more, bro) and there isn't a "perfect 4 iron distance" for me. I'm orders of magnitude more comfortable hitting a 5-iron and if this means coming up short so be it. I'll manage.

I'm only semi-serious about carrying a righty club anyway and agree (to a degree) that it's "silly". I don't hit my 4-iron because I am incredibly inconsistent with it (I know - practice more, bro) and there isn't a "perfect 4 iron distance" for me. I'm orders of magnitude more comfortable hitting a 5-iron and if this means coming up short so be it. I'll manage.

No biggie. I only say it from experience of taking my 4 iron out before. I felt lost without it even though it's not a common shot for me. heck Pros don't even hit their 4 irons with an abundance of consistency, so it's certainly not a shot amateurs are going to see a ton of success with. It's more of a comfort thing knowing it's there if I need it. Plus a 4 iron works great to chip out of a tough spot turned backwards haha (also from experience...darn trees)

Every club in my bag has a purpose and fits a distance I need, I'm not taking a club out to put a club in I may or may not need. I would just use the back of another club or turn the club upside down, maybe swing backwards all depends on the situation. Worse case I take an unplayable lie

Honestly I wouldn't put a club in my bag I might use once in awhile. I would rather have a club I use more often.

Seems a lot of THPers (at least in certain threads) don't carry the full 14 clubs. In those cases, I would always carry a lefty club for this situation.

Myself, I turn over my 54° wedge and hit it lefty when needed. Once a year or so is all I really run into that situation.

just not needed enough to warrant it in place of some other club I would certainly use far more often even if that club is only used once in a while it would still far outway by miles the amount of times any lefty club would be used. If I hit myself into such a place than I simply deserve whatever the consequences are.

But even if I had room for the club, I probably cant hit it anyway. I cant do anything lefty at all. I'd be better off with an unplayable anyway. Lefty's are different creatures, blacksheeps of the family, social misfits, troublemakers, and should all be on their own planet somewhere:D
Other than that, they are really great people:D

I did this for while before I moved to Colorado. I was in the trees enough that it was actually useful. Much less trees here so I can flip a wedge a chip out effectively enough.

Chances are that I'd really screw up the shot so it would be better to take an unplayable lie.

just not needed enough to warrant it in place of some other club I would certainly use far more often even if that club is only used once in a while it would still far outway by miles the amount of times any lefty club would be used. If I hit myself into such a place than I simply deserve whatever the consequences are.

But even if I had room for the club, I probably cant hit it anyway. I cant do anything lefty at all. I'd be better off with an unplayable anyway. Lefty's are different creatures, blacksheeps of the family, social misfits, troublemakers, and should all be on their own planet somewhere:D
Other than that, they are really great people:D
Exactly. Look at Bubba Watson. He can play left handed with right handed clubs! And still shoot par! Now that's just evil!

I've long considering this since there's always a club in my bag that I don't really use. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not carrying a lefty club simply because I have to treat it like any other club in my bag - I can only justify carrying if I put the time and effort in to practice it as much as my other clubs. Otherwise, I'm just going to screw it up worse than I would hitting a backwards iron or a croquet-like little chop stroke. Also, it's only worth it over taking an unplayable (or an awkward little chip) if you can get advance it at least some 50 yards. Again, that brings me back to having to practice getting good contact out of it.

I'm right handed and I have a hard enough time hitting right handed clubs! I'll work with what's in my bag now.

I've long considering this since there's always a club in my bag that I don't really use. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not carrying a lefty club simply because I have to treat it like any other club in my bag - I can only justify carrying if I put the time and effort in to practice it as much as my other clubs. Otherwise, I'm just going to screw it up worse than I would hitting a backwards iron or a croquet-like little chop stroke. Also, it's only worth it over taking an unplayable (or an awkward little chip) if you can get advance it at least some 50 yards. Again, that brings me back to having to practice getting good contact out of it.

I would rather put the extra practice time into chipping/pitching, bunkers, putting or even driving where getting better at such things would be far more beneficial on a daily golfing basis vs the rarest of times I may actually have need for a lefty club.

Exactly. Look at Bubba Watson. He can play left handed with right handed clubs! And still shoot par! Now that's just evil!

That's nothing, I've seen Roy McAvoy par the back 9 of a US open qualifier with nothing but a 7 iron. :bashful:

Not worth replacing another club for the rare occasion it's needed. I just use another club upside down.

My putter is dual sided, if that counts

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have used my utility wood backwards a few times. But in the course of 10 years it was twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back