White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I am looking to make my reservations for the routing in May and in comparing Southwest to Jet Blue ( who I normally use for all travel) there is a significant difference in cost. Now that is mostly due to my desire to pay for comfort and spend extra for Jet Blue's extra leg room seats. I used to use Southwest all the time when I used to fly to Vegas regularly and I recall boarding was being separated in groups of 30 then one mad dash for the gate when it was your turn. Can anyone who has flown SW tell me if that is how it is today? Am I in for a similar journey or have things improved? Any help would be appreciated.

I almost always choose the lowest cost flights since none seem to offer much comfort unless you opt for business or first class. In my area SW has a great "on-time" record which is really helpful if you are meeting someone at the airport. We also have issues with which airlines fly to which airports since I have several to choose from.

SW is the best way to fly imo. low cost, bags fly free, great seats, always 15-30 mins early, organized boarding. the only time I don't fly SW is when I go international.

SW boarding procedure is basically the same with the exception that you can now purchase, for a small fee, priority boarding. I think it was like $30 the last time I flew them. Definitely worth the extra fee to get the seat you want.

SW boarding procedure is basically the same with the exception that you can now purchase, for a small fee, priority boarding. I think it was like $30 the last time I flew them. Definitely worth the extra fee to get the seat you want.

It's $10 each way. And with the weird boarding procedure it's a must for SWA.

OEM is full of truth today.....the extra $20 is a no brainer to ensure Group A seating

It's $10 each way. And with the weird boarding procedure it's a must for SWA.

LOL... well this sounds like my flight to FL might be interesting. I'm flying SW as the cost, free bags and more flights (insurance) than Direct Air. LOL... video journal for sure. I heard boarding was "different". There could be some wild, wacky stuff there.

Alex

Edit*** Travel agent did not inform me about the extra fee too get "priority seating". Is this payable at the airport?

I always get group A seating and snag the emergency exit row for a ton of leg room

Tap Tap Taparoo

I travel weekly for work, but here are my thoughts. Depending on the person, some of these may be more valuable or one may put a different dollar value on each perk.

1. Stops - I'm usually willing to pay 10-20% more for a ticket if it allows me to fly nonstop versus having a layover

2. Loyalty Program - I'm willing to pay more for my flight if it means I can fly on a carrier who I have a mileage account and / or status. Likewise, if its a cross country flight with everything being equal, I'd rather earn miles for the long flight than a flat point system.

3. Fare Flexibility - SWA is the only US carrier to allow you to cancel and rebook your travel for free. If I'm not 100% sure I will be flying, or if I think the fares may come down, book SWA to avoid a std $150 change fee.

4. Bag Fees - SWA lets you check bags for free, all other airlines charge various amounts UNLESS you have some kind of loyalty status

5. Amenities - Wifi for long flights, TV, movies, seat selection, etc. If I'm flying across the country, I love having wifi. If not, I will just use my iPad or laptop to watch movies, work, etc. I always pay the $5-$10 more to choose my own seat.

The SWA check in system is better than it used to be since you don't need to lineup hours early. If you are vigilant and can check yourself in for your flight right at 24 hours before your flight, you will get A service without the fee. May be tough for those always on the go or an early flight.

LOL... well this sounds like my flight to FL might be interesting. I'm flying SW as the cost, free bags and more flights (insurance) than Direct Air. LOL... video journal for sure. I heard boarding was "different". There could be some wild, wacky stuff there.

Alex

Edit*** Travel agent did not inform me about the extra fee too get "priority seating". Is this payable at the airport?

No you have to sign up for it ahead of time. Usually I do it online.

The thing about Southwest now is that when you check in, you will get a number (say, A23 or B16, it depends on how close to 24 hours before the flight you checked in and how many people got the priority boarding). Now you line up in groups of five (A1 thru A5; A6 thru A10, etc.) so now you don't have to get to the gate way early to get near the front of the line.

I have been looking at air travel for the Morgan Cup, the big problem is that SW doesnt fly into MB, as close as they get is Charleston. Of course for less than what you will pay in bag fees you can rent a car in Charleston and drive the rest of the way.

I have even toyed around with driving the whole way....problem there is that it's about a 22 hour drive.

yeah that stinks. But I think I'll be doing the fly to Charleston and drive to MB trip as well

I have been looking at air travel for the Morgan Cup, the big problem is that SW doesnt fly into MB, as close as they get is Charleston. Of course for less than what you will pay in bag fees you can rent a car in Charleston and drive the rest of the way.

I have even toyed around with driving the whole way....problem there is that it's about a 22 hour drive.

A few people could pay for the rental car if schedules allowed.

Morgan Cup Travel will be a whole different ball of wax from the outing because of the market size differences. If you find a fare you like to MB, I'd buy it right away. I wouldn't say the same thing for the outing, still lots of time for fares to change to Orlando, where I doubt they go down much (or at all) for Myrtle Beach.

One thing to remember, the A 1-30 are normally eaten up by automatic check-ins, so even if you check-in on the dot 24 hours prior to your flight, you won't get A-1. The automatic check-ins are the SouthWest A list (equivalent to Elite or whatever) and those who pay for automatic check-in or are travelling on a business ticket.

The advice about the auto check-in and exit row seating is spot on. Do that, you'll have a solid flight. Then you just go find your spot in the boarding line, A-15 or whatever, and go grab your seat.

Back