Illegal Equipment

I tested the Polara bal for THP and it works! I see no issue with it for the casual golfer who isn't playing for money or competition.

No problems here. If you're just out there with him to have fun, let him enjoy his round however he can. Just no money involved :D

If it is not an official USGA event, US Open qualifying or whatever, or if we are not playing for money or some other competitive event where prizes or money are at stake then I don't care what a guy plays with, doesn't matter to me as long as he can keep up.

If it was just a casual round of golf, I wouldn't mind at all. Whatever helps you get the most enjoyment out of the game. I would hate for someone who isn't very good to not keep playing the game because he can't keep the ball in play or whatever. I'm sure as he gets better, he'll eventually want to play in competitions and be forced to get legal equipement. However, if I see someone playing with illegal equipment in a tournament, I'm calling you out on the first tee.

Illegal equipment, a mulligan, the occasional foot wedge. Golf should be fun, and as the others have said if he's playing for fun, who cares! Play on!
Personally, I hate playing for money, even if it is only 50 cents a hole, makes me terribly nervous, I'd be a terrible tournament golfer. :act-up:
I want to play the course, enjoy the day, hit a great shot or two, make a long putt (or at least not three putt), knock one close, chip one in. But that's me.

^^ This ^^

I wouldn't care what equipment he played with, though I might ask if he could share a sleeve of those Polaras.

Would be fine as long as I can put vasoline on my driver face. :banana:

Like everybody else here, if it's just a friendly round, no problem. For small change, no problem. For serious money, a tourney, handicap, problem.

You mean you don't already? :D

I would never admit to it. :arrogant:

There is a guy I used to play with that would buff the face of his driver A LOT. He would actually take some metal off. What I never understood was that he would play in tournaments at our club with it and nobody called him on it. He was a little guy with a slow swing and could keep up with much better hitters.

Buffing the driver face adds distance? I know what I'm gonna do today.

Does anyone know if the F2 wedges that have the hosel forward are legal?

Buffing the driver face adds distance? I know what I'm gonna do today.

Does anyone know if the F2 wedges that have the hosel forward are legal?

If you do it properly it can. It thins the club face and gives it more of a trampoline effect. I have seen him hit the exact same driver with and without buffing the face and their was about a 15-25 yard difference depending on contact.

If you do it properly it can. It thins the club face and gives it more of a trampoline effect. I have seen him hit the exact same driver with and without buffing the face and their was about a 15-25 yard difference depending on contact.

Wow. Never heard of doing that(actually never would have thought of doing it)

I'd rather play with someone shooting a 97 than 110+. If they are having more fun, I'm having more fun.....

I dont see anything wrong with people who play recreational golf using what ever they want. I would however let them know if they started getting cocky about how good they are that they aren't using legit equipment.

I need to learn how to do this quite soon.

Let the guy have as much fun as possible and encourage him to keep at it. I have a buddy that struggled his first couple years paying for similar reasons and I bought him some of the same ball's just to help him enjoy the game more. We are out there to have fun most of the time.

Glad to see all the responses saying he should just play and enjoy. I think next time I get out with him i'm going to try a few shots with whats in his bag.

I can echo everyone else...

I had the privilege to test these for THP. After testing these, I had an extra sleeve still in my bag. I went golfing with my uncle one day who has only been golfing for about 2 years. He struggles greatly with his game but has a good time doing it. After about the third hole, I gave him the sleeve and showed him how to hit it, it was night and day. I had never seen someone have so much fun on a golf course. Almost ever shot was followed by a, "Wow, did you see that shot?" I would never want to take that from him.

Don't mind unless he starts bragging about it. Then I would point it out.

I guess I'm enough of a purist when it comes to golf in that I have never been a fan of illegal equipment, foot wedges, mulligans etc. When you use illegal equipment, foot wedges and mulligans, it stops being golf and becomes something that just sort of looks like golf. At the same time, I don't live life worrying about what others are doing.

As long as the person using it understand that they are cheating, but are just simply making this really hard game more enjoyable, I guess I don't care all that much.

A friend of mine has 2 young kids a wife and is on call with his work quite often and only gets out to golf about 5 times a year and shoots about 110. He its about 2 FIR's and can't hold a green. This past year when I went out with him He shot a 97 and hit about 12 FIR's and didn't roll off the back of the green on every shot. He was using the Polara ball and spin doctor wedges I didn't mind because he just wants to enjoy the game a little. So my question is do you care if someone is playing recreational golf and using illegal equipment or would you say something or go even further and refuse to golf with him or her?

I wouldn't mind at all.. especially if it's a friend and even moreso if he only got out that often.

Alex

I wouldn't care at all. I am just playing my game and trying to get better. I don't care what someone else is doing as long as it was just recreation golf. Now a competition is another story...

Back