Illegal Equipment

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
A friend of mine has 2 young kids a wife and is on call with his work quite often and only gets out to golf about 5 times a year and shoots about 110. He its about 2 FIR's and can't hold a green. This past year when I went out with him He shot a 97 and hit about 12 FIR's and didn't roll off the back of the green on every shot. He was using the Polara ball and spin doctor wedges I didn't mind because he just wants to enjoy the game a little. So my question is do you care if someone is playing recreational golf and using illegal equipment or would you say something or go even further and refuse to golf with him or her?

Unless you're gambling, it shouldn't matter.

Now if he was beating you using this stuff and bragging about it, I'd say something!

Doesn't matter at all unless you're in any sort of conpetition. I wouldn't be mad if some guy I played with on weekends had illegal stuff, but if someone I was playing in a school match had it, I would be.

I don't what other people are playing. I'm playing against the course and that's it. Of course if you're playing for money that's another story. Refuse to golf with him - never.

I wouldn't care at all in this situation.

I doesn't bother me, personally. As has been stated, as long as we aren't playing for money, not my issue.

i don't mind unless were betting and even then as long as i know about it before hand id prob be cool with it.

Money, competition, or a handicapped round I disagree. Other than that, it's their bag and not a big deal.

Just out for a fun round on the course? Not a problem with it. I have played with the Polara's before to see how they were, didnt count it toward the handicap and there was no betting, so no problem.

I don't mind at all. Even if its for money. We aren't professionals so if it helps them have fun and maybe win a little money so be it. if you are better then them, then you are probably going to win more money then you lose but you still get a golf buddy as well. Just my opinion but I am out there for the love and fun of the game if I lose a little money so be it as long as I get to hang out with some friends and enjoy this game of golf I love so much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

if it's just for fun I wouldn't have an issue. If he doesn't play seriously and just for fun then I'd just let him have his fun.

I wish some of my golfing buddies would play some of this equipment, they could use it. But like most unless there is something on the round who cares?

I see no problem with his equipment,the guy just wants to enjoy the game

He's not gonna play often enough for this equipment to be of a major benifit to him so it wouldn't bother me. besides even if it is for money your not gonna be playing for that much and with your HC i'd expect you to be beating him pretty easy anyway.
Who knows if he starts to enjoy the game because of this equipment he may play a bit more and then you could encourage him to get new legal equip

I don't think that those products helped him as much as you think, maybe he just had a god day? I think if he got it in his head that he had a little bit of an edge because of the illegal products he was using, there might have been a bit of a confidence boost. That alone could have made him play slightly better. I always say its 90% Indian, 10% arrow.

I wouldn't even mention it. Let him play, if he is enjoying his round then good for him. I would still play for money with him, be a bit more interesting and stopping shots on the green is a small part of the round.

I would still play with him and it probably would not bother me since it is not tournament play.

I'd let him enjoy his golf, he obviously enjoys it more using them and if you took them away from him then you might have one less buddy to golf with!

It's not a big deal and I wouldn't let it bother me....let him enjoy the game a little more, how is it hurting you?

If there's no money, stakes or HCP involved a man can use a shovel and a football if you ask me. And what comes to bragging, I let people brag, and just play my own game. Using illegal golf equipment for recreational now & then golf is fine, and could be compared to someone taking a new driver or putter along for the round and ending up with 15 clubs. Would you give a guy hard time for testing stuff? Maybe when you gamble, but otherwise, no.

Sounds like many others have my same opinion on the matter. Let him use the stuff. Once he wants to bet, or play in a league, then you tell him that his gear is legal.

Illegal equipment, a mulligan, the occasional foot wedge. Golf should be fun, and as the others have said if he's playing for fun, who cares! Play on!
Personally, I hate playing for money, even if it is only 50 cents a hole, makes me terribly nervous, I'd be a terrible tournament golfer. :act-up:
I want to play the course, enjoy the day, hit a great shot or two, make a long putt (or at least not three putt), knock one close, chip one in. But that's me.

I don't think that those products helped him as much as you think, maybe he just had a god day? I think if he got it in his head that he had a little bit of an edge because of the illegal products he was using, there might have been a bit of a confidence boost. That alone could have made him play slightly better. I always say its 90% Indian, 10% arrow.

I don't know about the wedges, but I can guarantee you that the ball helped him hit it straighter. I have seen people use this first hand and it is amazing how straight it flies.

I've never heard of that ball -- but I can guarantee I will be keeping my eyes open for it moving forward ! I did find a "Foo King Long" with Korean subtitles in the rough at my course last month though... haha

Back