Time for new sticks (irons only)

kevin58

Reaction score
Handicap
Although I've been signed up for a membership here for a few months, I haven't gotten too deep into the community and I'm unsure of a lot of forum etiquette.....

But I have had a set of pretty old Ram fx2 forged irons in my bag for nearly 15 years and have played rounds from the 90's to the 70's and a trip to a local pro shop has told me I'm out of date. I've been hawking the Taylor made line heavily because I've playing the new superfast line of woods and have made alot of changes in the way I plot my way around courses. What is a good Consistent iron with workability and a little forgiveness? Ill be re-attending the golf academy of America to finish what I had started, but need a solid club to help me get my handicap back to below 5 relatively quickly by providing confidence to the mental game while I restore my physical ability to hit consistent shots? Any ideas?

Well going with TM, Can't go wrong with the R11 irons being workable and forgiving, while being not too big. Or, if you're a forged guy, the TP CBs. There are threads that give very thorough feedback on these as well as almost any other iron that you're looking at.

Although I've been signed up for a membership here for a few months, I haven't gotten too deep into the community and I'm unsure of a lot of forum etiquette.....

But I have had a set of pretty old Ram fx2 forged irons in my bag for nearly 15 years and have played rounds from the 90's to the 70's and a trip to a local pro shop has told me I'm out of date. I've been hawking the Taylor made line heavily because I've playing the new superfast line of woods and have made alot of changes in the way I plot my way around courses. What is a good Consistent iron with workability and a little forgiveness? Ill be re-attending the golf academy of America to finish what I had started, but need a solid club to help me get my handicap back to below 5 relatively quickly by providing confidence to the mental game while I restore my physical ability to hit consistent shots? Any ideas?

You will fit right in here, as for irons if you like the TM line the R11's are a great iron. There are a good amount of shops in Myrtle so I would go hit as many irons as you can and go from there.

Man that's an open invitation there for a lot of "defending and pimping their bags" here so be prepared. A couple sets come to mind right off hand. The TaylorMade R11 irons, the Callaway RXT's, Mizuno MP59's, the new Ping i20's, the new Nike VR S Forged and the Titliest AP clubs. And of course the best thing is to find a golf shop like Golf Galaxy or Edwin Watts and hit as many as you can.

Cobra AMP irons. They are packed full of ingenuity and creativity!

Just kidding! Welcome to the forum. Dude, I cannot recommend the R11 irons enough. Seriously good irons.

I think you could not go wrong with any of the CB players irons out these days. They have the workability and the forgiveness you speak of. Just depends on what rocks your boat.

Cobra AMP irons. They are packed full of ingenuity and creativity!

Just kidding! Welcome to the forum. Dude, I cannot recommend the R11 irons enough. Seriously good irons.

I just came from the Amp thread and luckily I had water in my mouth to choke on from laughing at this.

I agree there are a ton of amazing sets of irons to look at. I'd hit the Taylormade MCs as you seem to be looking for workability with a bit of forgiveness. Either way, you're going to notice a huge difference in performance.

Tap before talk.

Have you considered getting a fitting and then trying everything?

Have you considered getting a fitting and then trying everything?

Leave it to Mike T to be sensible...hehe
I'm going to recommend the R11s as top pick. The Cleveland Blacks are solid, Bridgestone pocket cavities, Callaway Razor blacks...this will get you started. There is a thread on everyone I mentioned. If you wait til the end of February you can read reviews from 6 forum members on the ROCKETBALLZ.....good luck and go get fit, it works!

Well going with TM, Can't go wrong with the R11 irons being workable and forgiving, while being not too big. Or, if you're a forged guy, the TP CBs. There are threads that give very thorough feedback on these as well as almost any other iron that you're looking at.

Agreed 100%!!

Leave it to Mike T to be sensible...hehe
I'm going to recommend the R11s as top pick. The Cleveland Blacks are solid, Bridgestone pocket cavities, Callaway Razor blacks...this will get you started. There is a thread on everyone I mentioned. If you wait til the end of February you can read reviews from 6 forum members on the ROCKETBALLZ.....good luck and go get fit, it works!

Well I didn't want to come right out and recommend the R11's :act-up:

Fitting is definitely the way to go. I personally play the Burner 2.0's from Taylormade and absolutely love them.
I think they have all the attributes that you said you were looking for, so don't leave them out when considering your choices.

The irons mentioned are all good products. The big thing is to get properly fitted. A pro/fitter can see how you hit the ball and then make some recommendations. Good luck and have fun.

Read through all the reviews that have been mentioned it'll take some time but it will be time well spent. +1 from Mike T get fitted. Once you have an idea what you want put at least 4 favs on the test for your fitting. Let us know the turn out. Good Luck

One thing is that I do need a refit badly.....I'm sure its led to a large part of the inconsistency I've been experiencing with the irons.....thanks for the advice fellas! Looks like I've got some swings to make:thumbup:

Keep us up to date on your progress with this.

So I went and demoed (slightly) titleist 712mb's, Nike vr pro blades and the new Taylor made blade. I went to martins in myrtle beach, and while the sales associate was very helpful, he seemed to missed my expressed interest in cavity backs....but I did mention I've been hitting blades for some time so no big deal...so I hit the TM first and they were solid, the swing weight was slightly higher than the titleist or Nike so I could really feel the head throughout the swinging motion. Solid hits felt a bit dead to me but off center shots were made perfectly clear! My typical shot pattern has evolved into a slight draw which is odd for me and my slight fade. Next I hit the Nike which I was Leary of but actually put up a good statement in comparison with the titleist. Workable, nice mushy feel on solid contact and when I was off center it was a damn near wiff. About 40 yards on the high end of the spectrum. Nice and light in my hands but not numb, if that makes sense. I really did like them and may go in that direction. The titleist were similar to the Nike's with a little more headweight for feel through the swing. Solid hits were just that, solid, workable both ways and misses well like the great they are blades so they are unforgiving. I did like the slightly more chromed out look of the Nike and it appeared thinner on the top than the titleist. My ballspeed and clubhead speeds were consistent with all three with a BS around 115-125 and clubhead speed in the low mid 90's with the 6 iron. More work to do. Next is the cavities.

You're lucky that you have Martin's at your doorstep. They have everything. Seems like a pretty solid start brother, and I think moving on to some cavity backed irons is a good thing.

Yeah I agree, blades are fine if you are a very consistent ball striker and I'm just not any more. So a good swing just barely off center with a blade will cost me 15-20 yards compared to 5-10 with the cavity. Let alone the side to side accuracy. Plus I saw on a sign in the store a free 10 minute fitting session which could at least cover my lie angle or grip size....

hi,i am new to this forum
i need some advice i am a 11 handicaper and i am playing with burner 2.0 regular graphite..i am planning to change to steel so i need to chose between burner 2.0 steel or CB steel ...please help guyzz>

Hi, welcome to THP.

Are there a lot of golf outlets in India?
Is there a particular reason for the change?
You could buy a set of shafts and have the clubs reshafted.
If there is a pro shop that carries both clubs you could just go try them out and see what you like best.

Yeah I agree, blades are fine if you are a very consistent ball striker and I'm just not any more. So a good swing just barely off center with a blade will cost me 15-20 yards compared to 5-10 with the cavity. Let alone the side to side accuracy. Plus I saw on a sign in the store a free 10 minute fitting session which could at least cover my lie angle or grip size....

Seems you're making progress.

my graphite shafts r continously hooking because of the shaft so i wanted to change to regular steel & there is no reshafting facilities atleast in my town.

Back