Convince Me on my purchase! Rocketbladz with PX Flighted 5.5 shafts.

Moxin

Reaction score
Handicap
Situation:So I walked into Golfmart the other day and saw a set of irons that I wanted to grow into--Rocketbladez. Read some reviews on them that sounded positive and I thought they could help my game out. Hit them off the mat in the fitting area and they felt good even though I can never tell on mats. Walked into the store the next day, found a slightly used set of rocketbladez for $260 4-PW with what the sales guy said, upgraded shafts PX flighted 5.5 with new grips. Pretty good deal, right? Hit them off the mat, and I was hooking them a little, but convinced myself that this deal was too good to pass up.

Side Story: I currently own great wedges (Cleaveland ROTEX) and have Taylormade Mini Driver, Callaway RZR X Driver, and 5 wood. I also own a nice Rife putter that is super sold for me.I have older 3 iron and 4 iron pro series Boxer Adams hybrids. My irons were really old, but excellent irons at the time(Callaway x-14 Steelhead pro series with stiff shafts). I hit my 6 iron about 165-170 yards. My swing has a quick tempo that is kinda of a pull hook that flies pretty high. My miss is pull-hook.

Dilema: When I hit the Rocketbladze the first day, I think I liked the stock shafts (KBS Tours) better. But I also just spent half the night reading blogs about how people think that the Project X are overrated and harsh to hit. People also talked up the KBS tours, saying they felt smoother. Being that I'm a 12 handicap, will I really feel the difference? This summer I played Michigan golf courses, and I couldn't bring my clubs, so I had to use game improvement rentals at some of the clubs and had some good scores. Did I just purchase clubs that are too advanced for me? Usually have more trouble of the tee than my irons. Looking for some knowledgeable opinions. What will stiffer shafts to for my swing if I hit 6 irons 165 with older clubs? Help???:banghead:

I can't answer the shaft question, I think that's kind of a personal preference thing (fwiw I really like the PX flighted 5.5's in my irons). To the other stuff, I think you can expect to hit these further than your current irons. These irons aren't too advanced for you, they are a very forgiving (on toe and low hits) GI iron.

I would love to give the 5.5s a try someday... FWIW I am playing PX flighted 6.0 in my J38s and they do feel a bit stiff at times. I will be swapping them out for a set of KBS Tour V in stiff within the next couple of days. They are a much better feeling shaft, for ME. The few times I have hit the 5.5s, I really liked them, a bit softer than the 6.0. Overall, the Rocketbladez are great clubs, I think its a good purchase.

Personally I prefer the Project X shafts to the KBS Tour Vs that I tried with my Apex Pros. What flex were the KBSs? 5.5 would be regular verging on slightly stiff for the project Xs

I have 5.5s in my TM 2.0s. Never liked 'em. I have KBS Tour 90s in my Cobra Amp cells. LOVE'EM. Go with shafts that work and feel good for you. BTW, I'll be putting the TM 2.0s with those 5.5 shafts in the marketplace soon.

If you already bought them anyhow I think you should play them for a while. I really like those shafts but that's me. The key is does the shaft fit your swing and that will take ome range time or a few rounds. Guessing if they don't fit you can get your money back on a sale. Give it some time not just 1 day. Good luck

I'm no expert on shafts either, but I don't give much credence to the "too advanced for me" idea. If they work for you and you like the looks at address I would concentrate on your swing and not stress about the clubs. They are certainly a very good club with excellent shafts and that is a good price.

I have been playing Project X 5.5 shafts for years...started in MP-32s well over a decade ago.

I believe they border between regular and stiff compared to other shafts, but I think the important factor is your swing type.

If you have a naturally fast swing and quick transition, they may not be a great match.

I really think shafts need to fit your swing type and how you load the shaft.

Since you already purchased them, I would play them for a bit and track your shot shape (i.e. are you leaving good swing one direction or another). Once you have that data and if you are unhappy with the performance, I recommend you get fit for the right shaft. The heads are just fine based on what you describe, especially if you lose strokes off the tee and not with irons.

I would caution about fitting inside...I find that hitting off mats isn't always a great way to get fit depending on your swing type (digger for example). I made that mistake earlier this year and ended up having to change shafts to match my swing (actually went back to Project X 5.5 shafts).

Clark

One more thought...I really think you need to play clubs for a month or two depending on the number of rounds to get use to the difference from your old set.

I don't change irons often (4 times in the last 20 years) and know it will take me a month or more to get use to the change in weight and how the clubs feel, even if they are a close match.

Clark

Back