I'm thinking, no fairway wood?

MontyV

Reaction score
Handicap
soaring
Those of you that read before I busted my 3 wood. I've since been playing without any fairway woods. I have my Driver then 3 iron and so on. So far I've maybe had 2 times where I really needed it since my huge gap between the 2 clubs Driver/3iron but many times a 3 iron would be sufficient.

Anybody just not play with any fairway woods? I'm still thinking of getting one but now it has just a bit lower on my priority list.

Until I got the R9, I was playing without one for about 4 weeks. I used a 2 iron hybrid to lessen the gap.

I've gone from a 2 fairway wood set-up just down to one. Lot's of my buddies have gone away from fairway woods and go straight from Driver to stronger lofted hybrids (usually a 16* or 18*). Which makes sense a lot of amateur players cannot hit 3-wood off the deck anyway. I would think the gap from Driver to the average 3 iron (which a lot of people don't his consistently) would be a little bit to much though. For me that would be a yardage gap of 60-70 yards.

I've been looking at 3 woods, 5 woods, 2 irons hybrids etc... and there is always at least one of them I end up liking. I guess I"m thinking I should just save the money for now and start saving up for my bag first since that is what really needs to be replaced. If a 3 wood is what would have saved me on over half of the holes I would have pulled the trigger on a fairway wood long time ago. I wonder how long I could go without playing a fairway wood. I guess it will all depend on the course I'm playing.

I would think the gap from Driver to the average 3 iron (which a lot of people don't his consistently) would be a little bit to much though. For me that would be a yardage gap of 60-70 yards.

Yeah its about 45-55 yards for me. For example I had a 230 yard par 3 slightly up hill and normally I would bring out my 3 wood but I had nothing. I ended up hitting my 3 iron, chipping on and attempting a 1 putt that turned into a 2.

Monty for a long time I played a 18* 5 wood and no 3 wood. For me it was more versatile since I had issues with the 3 wood off of the deck. I only gave up about 10 yards in distance from the 3-5 wood and had room in my bag for another wedge so it wasn't a hard choice then.

I played all last year without any fairway woods, technically they were in the bag but I couldn't hit them to save my life. Par 5's were miserable, other than that I didn't have many times that I missed them. This year I am hitting them again, I have no idea what the difference is though. I'll probably end up dropping the 3 wood, it's just to unpredictable.

I've always hit my 3 wood well but my 3 iron was unpredictable. My 3 wood was my savior many times. Now that I've been hitting my 3 iron much better after a few shows on GC and driving range time, I might do the same and see how long my fairway wood can stay out of my bag. Otherwise I can always borrow one from my cart buddy.

For a long time I played with just a driver and 1-iron and 2-iron instead of a 3-wood. For some odd reason, at that time I couldnt hit fairway wood very well but was pretty decent with my long irons.

I play without a fairway wood now. I use a 16 degree hybrid and like the way i hit that a lot more than a fairway metal.

Myself, I'd be lost without my fairways. But I hit my 3 wood really well off the deck so it's not an issue.

With my old set I played up till 6 1/2 years ago when I stopped playing, I might as well have left it at home, but same for my 3 & 4 irons. I could hit the 5 wood, but not the 3. :confused2:

I"m not a good wood hitter; I have much more of an iron stroke. I carry a 5 wood just 'cause, but I want to replace it iwth a 2H.

Until I got the R9, I was playing without one for about 4 weeks. I used a 2 iron hybrid to lessen the gap.

Exactly my normal MO....
My last round, I did ditch the 2H and drug out a 3W for a test....but that is not normal..

I play a 3 wood and 2 hybrid. I could see one not playing a FW (I don't think Anthony Kim does- just a 1H IIRC), but you are surrenduring any chance of hitting most par 5s in 2- and you are taking away your second option off the tee. It is your call though.

Every once in a while I will play with out my fairway woods. Usually during the hotter months, and just before the courses close for reseeding. I will play my 21-4i irons instead of the 3 fairway woods that replace them. The fairways are usually firmer, and I get more roll out of my irons since the ball's trejectory is lower with my irons. I play more irons if the wind is a factor for the same reason. If it is a tight course, I will go with my 3w as my driver, and play irons for the rest of my bag's make up. It just depends on the conditions, what I want to do that day. :comp:

I would be lost without my fairway woods. Depending on the course I may switch out the 4w for a hybrid. Typically I carry a 3w & a strong 5w. Love hitting them off the tee & have no issues at all off the deck either. Longest iron I carry now days is a 5.

Though its still a lower priority on my list to get it replaced now I'm thinking of getting a 2 iron hybrid instead of a fairway wood after reading everyone's comments. I guess I'm going back to the store to test out some hybrids.

Monty,
Im trying that out tomorrow myself. I picked up a Nickent 5DX 2 iron hybrid and look forward to putting that in my bag.

Those of you that read before I busted my 3 wood. I've since been playing without any fairway woods. I have my Driver then 3 iron and so on. So far I've maybe had 2 times where I really needed it since my huge gap between the 2 clubs Driver/3iron but many times a 3 iron would be sufficient.

Anybody just not play with any fairway woods? I'm still thinking of getting one but now it has just a bit lower on my priority list.

Well Monty, I play with my hybrid clubs a lot, and now that I have gotten my Tour Edge Ironwoods, Ill be using those all the time what I'm trying to say I guess Is that come the 09 golf season It will be 2 years since I used my driver off the tee, but I have a 3 "Intech" cheapie hybrid that my stepson and daughter in law got me for christmas from Walmart going to use that as my main club off the tee this year we will see how that goes for me.

I play a 3 wood and 2 hybrid. I could see one not playing a FW (I don't think Anthony Kim does- just a 1H IIRC), but you are surrenduring any chance of hitting most par 5s in 2- and you are taking away your second option off the tee. It is your call though.

Anthony Kim switched to a 3-wood at the beginning of the year, Nike SQ2.

But I play 2 fairway woods, and I love my fairway woods, I would be lost without them. I think some people's swings are better suited for fairway woods, while others are for hybrids or irons. I think what ever gives you good scores you should stick with.

Monty,
Im trying that out tomorrow myself. I picked up a Nickent 5DX 2 iron hybrid and look forward to putting that in my bag.

I'll check that out. Does THP have a list of 2 iron hybrids or reviewed 2 iron hybrids? Do all companies pretty much make them?

Anthony Kim switched to a 3-wood at the beginning of the year, Nike SQ2.

But I play 2 fairway woods, and I love my fairway woods, I would be lost without them. I think some people's swings are better suited for fairway woods, while others are for hybrids or irons. I think what ever gives you good scores you should stick with.

Ah, okay. Last year, in his WITB in GD, he had none.

And well put- I really couldn't have said it better myself on the second part. That pretty much sumarized this whole thread's worth of advice into two sentences. Try out both and see what works. There was a piece in this month's GD about the rule of 21- comparing a 7 wood, 2 iron, and 3 hybrid, and the advantages of each, and yes, I would try them all out, and see what feels best.

I'll check that out. Does THP have a list of 2 iron hybrids or reviewed 2 iron hybrids? Do all companies pretty much make them?

I know TM makes a 2H- I have an older model of the rescue. I really like that club. I am pretty sure that Adams does, and I think Nickent. Check each company's website, or TGW, although if they don't have it, doesn't mean that it isn't made. 2 irons are produced less, at least that is what I have found in my searches.

I believe most make them at this point.

Ah, okay. Last year, in his WITB in GD, he had none.

And well put- I really couldn't have said it better myself on the second part. That pretty much sumarized this whole thread's worth of advice into two sentences. Try out both and see what works. There was a piece in this month's GD about the rule of 21- comparing a 7 wood, 2 iron, and 3 hybrid, and the advantages of each, and yes, I would try them all out, and see what feels best.

Yeah, at the beginning of this season Nike make AK a 3 wood that he likes a lot. I saw him hit it on #18 this year at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, it ended within a few feet, amazing shot!

Back