Best Designed Line Up for 2012

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
Taking performance out of the picture- what are you top three awards for club design for 2012 (at least from what we know)

For Me:

3. Ping: They would probably get the bronze award every year since the design doesn't change that much and is always pretty solid. They loose points for the G20 hybrids which still look a bit odd to me. But the rest of the G20 line up looks great and the i20 line up looks mean.

2. Callaway: Love the look of the Hawk Razr Fit. And I really love the look of all the irons they have this year. Something for everyone and a nice combination of classic looks with cutting edge design. I like how they gave each model a nickname as well. I would definitely be looking at these if I was in the market for new irons.

1. Cleveland: No contest. They get extra points for having introduced line ups with two completely different concepts (Future/CG Black and the very original Old School/Classic & Mashie) and getting the design for both right. These clubs will look good in a bag for years to come. I just wish they had another line of hybrids. (fingers crossed for Classic hybrids and FWs) Plus the 588 wedges look pretty nice and the putter line is great.

All from the same company? Pretty impressive. How many designers are on staff over there anyway?

homepage.jpg

My doghouse award has to go to Cobra. I hate the look of everything they have planned for 2012 with the possible exception of the trusty rusty wedge. That is actually quite an achievement when you think of it. But like I said in another thread I am clearly no longer their target audience.

Got to say I agree with your thoughts, I bought the Black driver based on the THP reviews and testing one out on the course. The other driver that was under consideration was the Classic. Cleveland got it right this year for sure.

Cleveland it definitely bringing it. I think just based on marketing, demand and eventual sales, TM has to be included.

TS, I believe I agree completely with you, although I would throw Bridgestone in the mix somewhere. Very clean lines and designs appeals much to me.

For me its:

T3: Callaway/TM: Cally makes it because of just purely solid looking offerings with no fuss and no muss about it all IMO. TM because the hype machine is in full force and from initial looks alot of it is indeed living up to the hype.

2: Bridgestone: Talk about jumping all in with a tremendous line of clubs. The J40 line form top to bottom is as legit as they come, I think they will make a good footprint in the market this year. Alot of people are starting to notice them for the clubs now it seems...myself included.

1: Cleveland: Freaking bringing it. Period.

I say too early to tell yet. Pics are one thing....in hand is another thing. Once things start to hit stores, etc I think I'd be able to make a determination

I'm not putting them in any particular order...

Cleveland - Gotta love what they are doing with the drivers fairways and hybrids. Showing improvement in their irons and the wedges are solid as usual. As far as putters are concerned, if you haven't tried a Cleveland Classic putter then you owe it to yourself to roll a few putts with them as they are one of the top values in golf.

TaylorMade - Hard to argue with a solid lineup of woods. A 460cc R11 and an adjustable driver (RBZ) in the $300 category along with fairways that are getting lots of hype and positive reviews. Irons are solid and the new wedges don't look bad either.

Cobra - This is a love or hate line, and I'm loving most all of it. I really dig the orange in the AMP line and based on reviews, it appears that the clubs perform well. Also, the ZL Encore is about a pretty as a golf club can get. They also brought back the Trusty Rusty wedge which looks pretty good and I think a lot of people will like the versatility of the tri-bounce sole. I know the name isn't popular with some people, but I like it and think it's a little more catchy than just using numbers like Cleveland does. Besides, it's certainly not any worse than Rocketballz.

I agree with your lineup for the most part. I think all the major OEM's are offering some good stuff these days as well as some of the smaller companies. I like Ping because they have a great relationship with my home course, the clubs are well made and they're lines are simple looking without flashy names or fancy graphics, yet they perform well. Lots of good stuff out there now days.

I will agree with you on Cleveland being #1, especially with that amazing looking Classic driver! The Black is also awesome.
I would go with Bridgestone 2nd, I really like the way their stuff is looking for the year, from the drivers to the wedges, it all looks awesome to me. The colors and the designs are simple but very bold.
I personally like Nike for 3rd. They have stepped it up across their entire line, everything looks good, and seems to be well accepted. Some of their stuff looks a bit futuristic.

in no order
Adams - love the look of there drivers and hybrids plus have you seen the cb 3's and mb 2 fantastic
Bridgestone - just google it enough said
Cobra / Cleveland - once you get a few of the cobra's in your hand they look great and the amp forged are sick. with the 588 cb's along with everything else we see out of them rediculos. sorry couldnt just go with three.

Im surprised not many mentioned the Nikes with the VRS forged and line.

I'm going off of first impression and looks but I'd go this way:

1) Ping - Mostly based on improvement. I love the way the i20 irons look and the i20 driver looks like an absolute beast. I love the way that driver looks.
2) Cleveland - Versatile lineup.
3) TM/Nike tie - The TM white lineup still looks good. The VRs lineup looks nice as well.

I was just coming to make Nike my number 1 pick.

1. Nike - I think if you check out any of the threads from the PGA show, you'll see why.
2. Bridgestone - Just something about it catches my eye.
3. Cleveland - They make my most improved vote.

Not gonna get into details, too tired:

3: TM. RBZ line is sick with the green accents.

2. Cobra. I love the orange guys. Plus Rickie hitting the oranges on the commercial is sweet.

1. PING. i20 is the best looking driver I've ever seen.

3) Cleveland 588s
2) Wilson ci11s
1) Mizuno MP 59s (and it's not even close)

Honorable mention to the new Nike irons and that saying something because I freaking hate Nike!!

I was also suprised at this...here is my line up in keeping with the OP

5. Cobra--I know they are after a certian demographic, and i am not in it, but the orange just isnt doing it for me.
4. TaylorMade--A solid performer, but they are lacking the looks some of the others are bringing.
3. Callaway and Cleveland--The Cleveland Classic flat out rocks, but the Cally Fit is also bringing it. Overall the lines are both great looking.
2. Nike--The Nikes that I looked at while at the Expo, were IMHO a very good looking and visually pleasing line.
1. Bridgestone--I still prefer the simple clean looks that Bridgestone is bringing to the table. There is something about this line that just really draws me to it with having to be flashy.

Just my thoughts.

I think people were talking about full lineups instead of individual products, but you have some great picks there.

3) Cleveland 588s
2) Wilson ci11s
1) Mizuno MP 59s (and it's not even close)

Honorable mention to the new Nike irons and that saying something because I freaking hate Nike!!

3) TM- clubs look great from top to bottom, the MC and MB look great. Not a fan of the RBZ irons looks wise, but still a solid line
2) Nike-The VRS forged alone gets it on this list, that is a great looking iron. The rest of the line looks great as well.
1) Bridgestone-J40 line is great looking top to bottom The J40 Cavity back is the best looking iron out this year imo, and there is nothing else close. The DPC look great as well.

I like the Callaway Driver's but none of their irons speak to me looks wise. The Clevelands were close with TM, I really like the 588's and Classic driver, but don't love anything else.

2012 has so much to offer in the way of clubs. I'm going to give Bridgestone, Nike and Cleveland the nod. The Bstone DPC are sleek, classy and very playable for a wide variety. The Nike VR_S line seems to be living up to the hype based on the feed back I have read. The only reason they don't have the top spot is because I have not hit them so my thoughts are based on others feedback. Cleveland just produces some nasty looking clubs in the 588s and blacks. The custom wedges are wicked sweet as well.
2012 seems to be the year that everyone can get playability and good looks from almost all of the OEms

2012 has so much to offer in the way of clubs. I'm going to give Bridgestone, Nike and Cleveland the nod. The Bstone DPC are sleek, classy and very playable for a wide variety. The Nike VR_S line seems to be living up to the hype based on the feed back I have read. The only reason they don't have the top spot is because I have not hit them so my thoughts are based on others feedback. Cleveland just produces some nasty looking clubs in the 588s and blacks. The custom wedges are wicked sweet as well.
2012 seems to be the year that everyone can get playability and good looks from almost all of the OEms

Very well said there brother.

Have to go with Nike, TM and Cleveland showing the most versatility. Seems they have something new for everyone. Loving the 588 line and the look of both the classic driver and the whole black line. Cleveland has made a huge statement this year! Great thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there are three:

Cleveland- everything I hit so far this year is super.
Nike- I dunno why a lot of people cannot see that they make sweet sticks. I have been impressed the past two season with their product.
TMAG- I just think they are cutting edge in terms of everything. I will admit I buy into the marketing, many do. I have yet to be disapointed. They cover the bases.

Those are my three right now. All the OEM's have stellar product out. They have to in such a competitive market. IF I was making switches, Nike and Cleveland would be well represented in the bag.

If there are three:

Cleveland- everything I hit so far this year is super.
Nike- I dunno why a lot of people cannot see that they make sweet sticks. I have been impressed the past two season with their product.
TMAG- I just think they are cutting edge in terms of everything. I will admit I buy into the marketing, many do. I have yet to be disapointed. They cover the bases.

Those are my three right now. All the OEM's have stellar product out. They have to in such a competitive market. IF I was making switches, Nike and Cleveland would be well represented in the bag.

WOW... I actually agree with everything you have said here. The thing with TaylorMade's marketing is excellent. They market so well (doesn't mean you will buy sight unseen or untested) but it makes you want to try their stuff out. Once you do... the rest is history. Well that's the case for myself at least. Backing up great marketing, who would of thunk it? lol.

Back