Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Thainer, great stuff. I'm really starting to get more and more distance with the Heavy Driver as I continue to work with it. I blasted a few drives 280+ today and that's just not typical for me. I'm not a long hitter.

After a few weeks of iffy results I have stuck with the HD and finally am seeing some amazing results. Thanks to all the help and encouragement. The club really requires just a consistent move and manipulation only hinders what the club wants to do.

I tried searching through the thread but couldn't find this answer.

Does anyone know what the swingweight of these drivers are?

Great reviews on this driver. But do working class and $399 (cost of the driver) go together? lol Browsing prices on drivers they are defintely at the top of the pricing chart for off the rack drivers currently on the market.

I agree that the price point might be a little high and I hate to see that be a big turnoff to those that would consider this driver. Other brands have offerings in the $299 range and that is about all I'm willing to pay for a driver that offers no adjustable features. I would also like to see the OEM's run with the removable shaft options.

I put mine on the swingweight machine and it came out as C4.

I put mine on the swingweight machine and it came out as C4.

thanks Dr. T! How does that compare to your R11 that you have back weighted?

I found a press release on the Boccieri Golf website which states the Driver swingweight is B-6.

Just found this in the press release on their site too...

Loaded with an Alida graphite shaft, a 460cc head weighing 208 grams (plus 50 grams of counter weight in the butt end) and checking in with a wickedly light swing weight of C3, the Heavy Driver is, to sum it up bluntly, sweet.

The wife and I have been on vacation this week so we are getting 36 holes in a day. On Monday while playing, my wife asked me to let her try the Heavy Driver. Both of us were surprised how well she hit it right away.

My wife is a 23 handicap and has been playing a ladies Big Bertha Callaway driver in 11 degrees for several years. She has always been able to hit a driver well, and for whatever reason, the Heavy really fits her swing. She ended up playing it for most of the second 18 we played Monday, and I don't think she missed a fairway with it. Her distance appeared to be much improved, so I thought we should go to the range to see if we could measure some of her shots.

With her BB she hits the ball really straight, with her now and then miss being a fade. Her ball flight is fairly low. I had her hit 15 balls with the BB. Her longest drive was just under 195 yards with most being in the 175/185 yard range. This was in soft conditions with very little rollout.

Next she hit the Heavy, again 15 balls. Right away, her ball flight seemed to increase slightly which is understandable given the extra 1.5 degrees of loft. However, the Heavy has a tipped regular shaft while her BB has a stock ladies light regular. Of the 15 balls she hit, she really did not have any that would have been off the fairway or at least very close had we been playing. Her longest drive was right at 215 yards. Most were in the 190/205 range, so it was clearly giving her some much needed distance.

Both of us were very surprised at the results. I think she fell in love with the driver right then and there. We played 36 holes yesterday, 18 at two different course and both of us hit the Heavy the entire time. I am very confident in the driver right now and I hit several of the best drives I have hit all year with a couple nice draws in the 270 range which is pretty big for me. My wife at one point had hit every fairway of the 7 times she hit the Heavy before she finally ran one off right. Both of us hit a bunch of fairways yesterday and although I hit the driver much further, my wife has made it clear that she wants one. I'm taking her to my fitter Friday so we can see some data on her hitting both drivers to make sure we have the correct shaft for her, but the way she is hitting this tipped regular, I'm not sure we can get it any better.

I can believe C3 but it is definitely not B6. Mine probably measures at C4 for two reasons, 1) I have two extra wraps of grip tape and 2) I am playing the X stiff shaft which is probably a couple of grams heavier than the Stiff. ddec my backweighted R11 was at a C7. They feel pretty similar to me, but I have since made another adjustment to my R11 that has changed the swing weight to a C8.

I can believe C3 but it is definitely not B6. Mine probably measures at C4 for two reasons, 1) I have two extra wraps of grip tape and 2) I am playing the X stiff shaft which is probably a couple of grams heavier than the Stiff. ddec my backweighted R11 was at a C7. They feel pretty similar to me, but I have since made another adjustment to my R11 that has changed the swing weight to a C8.

great stuff! Thanks again Dr. T.

The wife and I have been on vacation this week so we are getting 36 holes in a day. On Monday while playing, my wife asked me to let her try the Heavy Driver. Both of us were surprised how well she hit it right away.

My wife is a 23 handicap and has been playing a ladies Big Bertha Callaway driver in 11 degrees for several years. She has always been able to hit a driver well, and for whatever reason, the Heavy really fits her swing. She ended up playing it for most of the second 18 we played Monday, and I don't think she missed a fairway with it. Her distance appeared to be much improved, so I thought we should go to the range to see if we could measure some of her shots.

With her BB she hits the ball really straight, with her now and then miss being a fade. Her ball flight is fairly low. I had her hit 15 balls with the BB. Her longest drive was just under 195 yards with most being in the 175/185 yard range. This was in soft conditions with very little rollout.

Next she hit the Heavy, again 15 balls. Right away, her ball flight seemed to increase slightly which is understandable given the extra 1.5 degrees of loft. However, the Heavy has a tipped regular shaft while her BB has a stock ladies light regular. Of the 15 balls she hit, she really did not have any that would have been off the fairway or at least very close had we been playing. Her longest drive was right at 215 yards. Most were in the 190/205 range, so it was clearly giving her some much needed distance.

Both of us were very surprised at the results. I think she fell in love with the driver right then and there. We played 36 holes yesterday, 18 at two different course and both of us hit the Heavy the entire time. I am very confident in the driver right now and I hit several of the best drives I have hit all year with a couple nice draws in the 270 range which is pretty big for me. My wife at one point had hit every fairway of the 7 times she hit the Heavy before she finally ran one off right. Both of us hit a bunch of fairways yesterday and although I hit the driver much further, my wife has made it clear that she wants one. I'm taking her to my fitter Friday so we can see some data on her hitting both drivers to make sure we have the correct shaft for her, but the way she is hitting this tipped regular, I'm not sure we can get it any better.

Hoosier, this is awesome! Glad this is working out for you and your wife!

Hoosier, this is awesome! Glad this is working out for you and your wife!

Thanks! Who would have thought this would work for the wife as well. She has never been fit and is not really serious about playing, but the Heavy is far and away better than her current driver.

Hoosier, I think you may have to write your name on that driver to make sure she doesn't take it from you. That's awesome that she's hitting it so well.

I could only get 9 in today due to weather. I shot +3 for a 39. I'm playing pretty good right now and am really enjoying it. I'm really liking the NV shaft, the stiffer tip has removed the ballooning I was getting and I've picked up almost 10 yards. I only missed one fairway today and it was only by a couple feet. This driver isn't going anywhere! I'm pondering the heavy irons quite a bit!

I could only get 9 in today due to weather. I shot +3 for a 39. I'm playing pretty good right now and am really enjoying it. I'm really liking the NV shaft, the stiffer tip has removed the ballooning I was getting and I've picked up almost 10 yards. I only missed one fairway today and it was only by a couple feet. This driver isn't going anywhere! I'm pondering the heavy irons quite a bit!

I can't believe how well you're shooting right now, Degoins! Not to say I didn't think you had it in you, but you've been tearing it up. I really wonder how much I would have liked this driver with the right shaft. I rarely ponder drivers, but this one really makes me think. Especially with the success I've had with the hybrid.

Hawk I'm playing the best golf I have ever played in my life right now. I've found a few things that work for me, add that with how well I'm hitting this driver and its awesome. The putter change has been a huge help, only one two-putt today.

Well after 1 range sesh and a few holes, the heavy stuff is firmly planted in my bag. So is my 2 wood!

Hoosier, I think you may have to write your name on that driver to make sure she doesn't take it from you. That's awesome that she's hitting it so well.

I can tell you that I went out a couple of hours ago to meet a couple of guys at our local nine hole course and the Heavy driver was in her bag. To make it even worse (or better depending how you look at it) she is loving my Heavy putter as well. We played 18 together today and we shared the driver and the putter on every hole.

The distance gain for her with that driver is really hard for me to believe yet. I'm playing great right now with the driver hitting it as long as anything I have owned in several years and I'm hitting a ton of fairways, but she has gained at least 20 and maybe 30 yards with it and is hardly missing a fairway herself.

Just really makes me very curious right now as to what I may be missing with the rest of the Boccieri clubs. I know for sure now that the putter and the driver are the real deal. Could be the sleeper clubs of the year.

As soon as some money frees up I'm gonna try the irons. That is my biggest weak spot and if these help me improve as much as the driver has I don't know how I'd act!

Well, yesterday was my first golf swing in 7 days, too much traveling over the past week. In fact, it's not over, I'm traveling more today. But anyways, that's for another thread.

I wanted to see if I could jump right back into the Heavy Driver after 7 days off. Last week, I gamed the HD exclusively, it was performing great. This week, I wish I could say the same. It wasn't the HDs fault, but I was never comfortable, with any club in my bag. I flipped between two different swings for my irons, and two different drivers, all mid round. That is not something I usually do, but when you aren't comfortable, you aren't comfortable.

How did the HD actually perform though? On the range, I was catching the ball off the heel a lot, resulting in a lot of low fades. Again, that wasn't the HDs fault, I did the exact same thing with my other driver. The course did remind me that the HD is the club for me. Although I never quite had my groove, at one point, after a couple of bad holes, I god 'mad,' let my mind go, and just smashed the ball up the fairway. Uphill, 255 yards. That's about 10 yards further than I've ever been able to hit on that hole.

My final reflections on last night are, this club demands a body swing. As soon as you (or more accurately, I) get a little handsy, or get tired and start swinging with your arms, it will punish you (or again, more accurately, it punished me). But when you hit this club with a body swing, you are rewarded so well.

Today, I may be able to get it head to head with my 'favorite' driver of the year. I say 'favorite' because at least up until I got the HD, the Titleist 910 D2 was the driver I hit with the best results. It should be an interesting battle.

~Rock

Saw this driver in an issue of Golf Digest and was intrigued because I LOVE the heavy putter. So I started searching for reviews and found this wonderful board with these great reviews. So I couldn't wait to try the driver and Boccieri's website said that Golfsmith carries their brand. Drove the 23 miles to Ontario, CA and was disappointed to find that they only have the putters and the wedges. Got to try the wedge and LOVED it and bought one. Would really love to try the irons and driver but like what others have said $399 is a lot to fork out for a driver, especially one you don't even get to swing. And to buy a whole iron set without trying it...no way. So I emailed Boccieri and asked if they had any idea where I could find them here in So. Calif. I also asked if they needed any more testers, haha, to see if I could get one like you guys. A day passed and no email response. Next day as I was riding in the car with a workmate on the way to San Diego my cell rings and it has a 203 area code...who the heck is this? Well it turned out to be Deb from the corporate office of Boccieri wanting to see how she could help because Steve really wants to get this out there. Sadly she told me that right now there was no one in Calif. carrying the driver or the irons yet and that they would eventually make there way out there. I could buy the driver from them with free shipping and could get a full refund if I didn't like it. Since I am short on funds (thanks a lot economy) buying one is not possible. I am bidding on one so I might get that one for a lot less. She also offered to sell me just a 6 iron from the set so I could try it out and could get a refund on that too. If I liked it I could send the 6 iron back and get a whole new set if I wanted to buy it. So these folks not only have great products but they have OUTSTANDING customer service. Imagine getting a call from Cleveland, TaylorMade or Callaway after emailing them? So long story made longer, I hope to have my hands on a heavy driver and heavy iron soon. I have a bad back and arthritis in both knees so I don't hit the driver long (most usually 180-200) and this sounds like it would fit my swing and help me pick up some much needed yards so I am hitting more short irons. I will post if and when I get either.

Thanks to all the reviewer for the GREAT posts that have helped me in my decisions.

Thanks for sharing that, Gary. That is some amazing customer service!

Gary thanks for sharing! I have found Boccieri golf to be one of the best companies out there as far as their customer service and quality of their product! I hope you get the chance to game their irons or driver or both! They are fantastic!

Thats a great story Gary and have to agree with you about the other OEM's. Just dont see them doing that same type of thing. This company just keeps impressing me more and more. I hope to see them make a bigger push into the market and see their clubs in more and more bags. I for one am I big fan of Boccieri because of this thread and the fact they had the cajones to send stuff to the outing demo day. I came away impressed with the quality of the product and blown away by its performance. Well done!

Back