Getting to IN-OUT path.

achase215

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Been struggling with swing path and not exactly sure how to fix it. My ball striking is really improving along with my short game and putting. But I am still slicing / fading my driver which is killing me, and now I am starting to hit pulls with my irons. What do you guys suggest to help groove a in-out path vs out - in?

FYI usually shoot around 90 with 30 putts.
Hit 4-5 FW's
8-9 GIR's per round.

What drills are you guys using to help groove that path?

When you get to the top of your backswing, drop your right shoulder as far as you can(assuming youre a righty), and let your arms do the rest. I think youll be pleasantly surprised. Youll need to adjust your grip afterwards though.

Been struggling with swing path and not exactly sure how to fix it. My ball striking is really improving along with my short game and putting. But I am still slicing / fading my driver which is killing me, and now I am starting to hit pulls with my irons. What do you guys suggest to help groove a in-out path vs out - in?

Hit 4-5 FW's
8-9 GIR's per round.

Hit 4-5 FW's
8-9 GIR's per round.

You hit half your greens and have only 30 putts but average 90?

When you get to the top of your backswing, drop your right shoulder as far as you can(assuming youre a righty), and let your arms do the rest. I think youll be pleasantly surprised. Youll need to adjust your grip afterwards though.

Spoiler
Thainer, I always enjoy your your swing advice. They have given me a lot of good things to work on and with.

Is that how you shoot 9s at THP HQ?

Depends on what your putting for is why I am hitting so few putts and scoring is so bad. The 8 to 9 GIR's are usually par's, but the other holes are usually double or worse. Penalty strokes off the tee are really holding my game back. My iron's have been really solid it's just a matter of HOW bad my tee shots are.

Hit 4-5 FW's
8-9 GIR's per round.

Any chance you have a swing video you are willing to share?

Take away on the inside always helps, especially if you're currently taking away on the outside and coming in steep.

If you look in the ask a pro section, Andy mentions the baseball drill a zillion times... When you are driving down into the ball, think about hitting it to right field... If you get your club working away from your body, it should generate a bit of a draw..

9s? I shoot 10s son.

Do work.

I have been struggling with regaining my in-out swing. I have been coming over the top a lot and pull hooking my drives, or I hold off my release and get a nice fade. But my baby draw is gone.

I will look for the baseball drill. I do not have a swing video, but I will see if I am able to somehow get one. Was playing a 5 yd fade with my irons all season with distant loss from last season. But today focused on feeling the toe pass the heel at impact and was hitting dead straight pulls and got the 10=15 yd's I had lost back.

What does a draw look like? Don't think I have ever hit one in the three summers I have played everything is a fade or straight.

Do work.

I have been struggling with regaining my in-out swing. I have been coming over the top a lot and pull hooking my drives, or I hold off my release and get a nice fade. But my baby draw is gone.

starts right - goes left.

Maybe one of these days.

Make sure secondary spine angle is correct and keep your right elbow close to your side throughout the swing, it will be almost impossible to not swing in to out.

3 tee re-route.
Feel like your hitting the inside of the ball.
Take the club straight back, then turn your back to target.
Don't get your hands too high at the top.
Go ask Andy :)

--
tapatalk

Tuck an extra golf glove or small towel under your right armpit and hold it there throughout your swing as you practice.

Take away on the inside always helps, especially if you're currently taking away on the outside and coming in steep.

That will force him to swing on one plane, which is difficult to learn. It's very common that people who come too steeply into the ball have an inside path in the backswing and then loop it. It's much easier to reverse it - take it up steep and drop to a more shallow plane. There're a lot of guys on the PGA tour who take it up above their plane and then drop it down. Not many who take it inside and keep it inside.

Plus, a backswing that's above the plane and then drops down will help him to generate more lag, since he has to ease into the start of the downswing.

WHats helped me recently is making sure wmy shoulders are square at address. Feels like i am aiming way left now but im not.

If you are slicing the driver there are a few things you can do. First make sure you square to your target line. Make sure you have a bit of flex in your knees (maintain this flex through out the swing) and make sure your grip is correct.
Now drop your right foot off your target line 2-3 inches. This will give you a closed stance but it will also promote an inside take away. You can do this with hitting a single ball in front of a mirror. Practice this setup and just get your body used to the feeling of swinging on this line.
It's important that you drop that club back into the same position on the down swing. Try to tuck that right elbow into your side. This will insure your club is not coming over the top. Try this is slow motion and get used to the feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to youtube and search Sean Clement golf. One of the best online instrustors I've found. Has a large library of videos covering about every issue you could think of.

I used the Medicus Vision Track to fix this and know of several other THP'ers who have as well. Instead of a trick, or tip, it is a training aid you can use anytime.

It has made all the difference in the world for my game.

Use the search function for the thread and you will see many happy users.

I used the Medicus Vision Track to fix this and know of several other THP'ers who have as well. Instead of a trick, or tip, it is a training aid you can use anytime.

It has made all the difference in the world for my game.

Use the search function for the thread and you will see many happy users.

Agree with this.

Posted via Tapatalk

That will force him to swing on one plane, which is difficult to learn. It's very common that people who come too steeply into the ball have an inside path in the backswing and then loop it. It's much easier to reverse it - take it up steep and drop to a more shallow plane. There're a lot of guys on the PGA tour who take it up above their plane and then drop it down. Not many who take it inside and keep it inside.

Plus, a backswing that's above the plane and then drops down will help him to generate more lag, since he has to ease into the start of the downswing.

Agree. Taking away inside is a common issue for slicers because going inside allows the momentum to swing they're shoulders OTT.

WHats helped me recently is making sure wmy shoulders are square at address. Feels like i am aiming way left now but im not.

I've been working on the same thing. Here's my problem though. When I set up correctly (feels like I'm aiming left) I believe I am swinging at the target/flag rather than swinging down my body line. Has anyone tried focusing on a target right of the line in order to get the swing going inside out? Am I even making sense?

The tuck a towel or head cover under your lead arm drill is a great drill and might help the OP. I have had results like the OP is getting on occasion. What I have found is that at least in my case when my drives are short and slicing right and I am getting some iron pulls, it is because I am not turning my shoulders back to the target. So if I turn my hips back to the target but get too impatient and let my arms lead my shoulders I am in trouble. Depending on the degree that I have not done a good enough job with my shoulder turn I can either slice a short drive or if I really screw up, my early and aggressive arms will get the driver club head to sweep right under the ball and I will hit a pop up. Granted that is a really bad swing and just about a worse case with the driver but it is the same problem. It is only a matter of degrees that will create one result vs the other.

With irons I might end up with a pull because instead of coming down and through from the inside, again the club is to some extent sweeping from outside in because I have gotten too impatient and while I have turned my hips back to the target, I have not allowed for enough of a shoulder turn back to the target and club ends up sweeping outside in instead of driving down and through the ball.

In fact once I get comfortable with the tuck something under the lead arm drill (which is what I go back to when I am screwing up like this) I will continue to try to imagine that the head cover is there while I am swinging out on the fairways as a means of forcing myself to turn my hips and then my shoulders instead of getting my arms out ahead of my shoulders.

Thainer's tip about dropping your right shoulder could really help you as well as it will really help you get your shoulders going instead of your arms.

Last edited:

Agreed. Many people I see with out-to-in paths actually bring the club too inside on the backswing and then over-the-top on the downswing. I know that if I come too inside on my backswing, I either get too flat and a little stuck, or I try to save it with disasterous consequences. I try to keep the club in front of me on the backswing.

Back