Check out this Bunker at the Open Championship

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
That's crazy.

40 feet deep!

I showed my father and he asked me, What do you do if you hit the ball to the bottom of the hill? I told him, you turn around and hit to the beginning of the bunker and take your next shot. He said, So you lose a stroke then? My response "Better than losing 3 or 4 trying to hit from the base of that monster"

No nickname is crazy that monster really should have its own nickname.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

That would be crazy to go at....:hypnotized:

There is one like that on a par 3 @ Bandon. I forget which hole and if it's on Pacific Dunes or Bandon Dunes. Someone told me it's called "The Devil's A@&hole". Hit it ANWHERE except in there, I'd have to go out backwards onto turf.

I showed my father and he asked me, What do you do if you hit the ball to the bottom of the hill? I told him, you turn around and hit to the beginning of the bunker and take your next shot. He said, So you lose a stroke then? My response "Better than losing 3 or 4 trying to hit from the base of that monster"

You blast out sideways toward the fairway if possible. Even toward the rough is better than trying to advance the ball from that horror. Anything else is an unnecessary risk.

If I hit into this....I'd say 'gimme a 10' and just move on

I can barely get out of a normal sand trap, couldnt imagine trying to get out of that.

:surrender:

Wow. That is a hoss. The way my bunker play is these days, I would have a hard time even hitting backwards out of that to get back to the fairway.
I would have to consult my swing coach AND my therapist on how to get out of that mess....

If I was fortunate enough to miss it, I think I would drop one in it just to see if I could get out, but I would hate to be in it for real.

Reminds me of a bunker at Pacific Dunes! This one is only about 20' deep though. I wasn't in it, but as you can see, had to hit right over it. :surrender:

BandonDunes11132.jpg

I am fairly certain I just watched a few guys hit over that bunker, and I don't think it was even close to going in..

Either way, that is a MONSTER!

that's a big bunker. I want someone to go in there, and the announcers to comment on whether or not the 'lip' will be an issue for the shot.

I would stand no chance.

That loos like fun! I'd be tempted to knock one in there just for the experience.

my local 9 hole course has copies of most of the famous holes in golf in the U.K. and it has this hole and bunker on it and i did not go in it, but my playing partner did and he took 4 goes to get it out before deciding to play back. The course also has a copy of the ST Andrews road hole on it and that green is mega scary and it rolls off into the sand traps if you dont get it right.

I think I would rather hit it out of bounds than hit it in that thing!!

Oh my goodness that is just sick and wrong! I would like to try to hit out of it maybe twice just because I know I wouldn't be getting out of it the first time.

Another shot of it, just to show the monstrosity of the bunker from another shot...

RSG4b.jpg

aw. thats nothin :D

It's all about course management and not hit it in it.....easier said than done. Good luck if someone goes in it

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Back