Evolution of a new golfer

So just a small update on what ive been doing. Doing the work out thing in my basement uncovered the weight bench that was like a archaeological dig to uncover that. But have been lifting and doing lots of stretching I am so out of shape its not funny. but i have come along way in the last 2 weeks. I will be making a trip to the driving range Sunday morning.

I bought some of these to hopefully help me see where im hitting the club

CameraZOOM-20120210215953458.jpg

When i miss hit my clubs it feels like im hitting a bowling ball it hurts my hands bad. New irons on top of my list of things to get ASAP

Also picked up some rubber tees the driving range only had real tall ones and i couldnt hit my new TM Burner 2.0 3 wood last time was vary bummed about that so i bought my own

CameraZOOM-20120210220703371.jpg

Keep up the hard work, it will pay off! You have a decent swing and the right attitude.

Best of luck with your journey this year!

Got tot the range today had a good time. Worked on a few different things well i was there my grip, ball placement in my stance for different clubs, and trying to figure out why i always hit it right.
I used some ball marking stickers also today to see where in actually hitting the ball and that help alot today.

The first one is with my 5iron
CameraZOOM-20120212195409539.jpg

I was all over the place to start ( the gray parts are ball contact) Due to not getting the ball in my stance the same every time. first thing i noticed and started to correct today.

Second is with my 8 iron when much better that i was paying attention to ball placement
CameraZOOM-20120212195431788.jpg

Not the best placement but more constituent so i think that's a plus just got to get it moved to the sweet spot.

And last with my 3 wood Burner 2.0 superfast. Got to say this is the first time hitting the club to day and the few good hits i had with it i love this thing.
CameraZOOM-20120212195441293.jpg

This shows me topping the ball alot this is something I already new. But the one right in the middle when about 230-240 yards from where it hit the ground. The swing felt perfect not off balance or feeling like i had to pull the club in or move it during my swing now i gut got to do that consistently. All in all a vary good learning day for me at the range. Warm whether cant some fast enough for me this year. As always and tips or advise is always welcome.

I bet that one that was dead center on the last pic felt nice!

Have you paid attention to weight distribution at all?

Here's what I use approx:
Wedges - 65% on left foot
9-7 iron - 60% on left foot
6-higher - 55% on left foot
3-wood if from fairway (no tee) I'll put it slightly ahead of center with 55% on left foot and try to hit down on it a tad
- on tee I do about 50/50
Driver - 65% on right foot

Having the weight correct can help ball striking a lot as it gives you a better chance to deliver the club on the correct angle of attack. Hope that makes sense to ya.

Good luck on your journey! Definitely got the right attitude and mindset going. Look forward to following this.

I bet that one that was dead center on the last pic felt nice!

Have you paid attention to weight distribution at all?

Here's what I use approx:
Wedges - 65% on left foot
9-7 iron - 60% on left foot
6-higher - 55% on left foot
3-wood if from fairway (no tee) I'll put it slightly ahead of center with 55% on left foot and try to hit down on it a tad
- on tee I do about 50/50
Driver - 65% on right foot

Having the weight correct can help ball striking a lot as it gives you a better chance to deliver the club on the correct angle of attack. Hope that makes sense to ya.

At first i was not paying that much to my wight distribution. Then i made a efert to think of it during my setup that is one of the reasons my my contact got better in my second pic

So just a small update on what ive been doing. Doing the work out thing in my basement uncovered the weight bench that was like a archaeological dig to uncover that. But have been lifting and doing lots of stretching I am so out of shape its not funny. but i have come along way in the last 2 weeks. I will be making a trip to the driving range Sunday morning.

I bought some of these to hopefully help me see where im hitting the club

CameraZOOM-20120210215953458.jpg

When i miss hit my clubs it feels like im hitting a bowling ball it hurts my hands bad. New irons on top of my list of things to get ASAP

Also picked up some rubber tees the driving range only had real tall ones and i couldnt hit my new TM Burner 2.0 3 wood last time was vary bummed about that so i bought my own
My dad just uses painters tape for that and it shows up just fine imo

Cool thread. My regular group had a guy take the game up late last year... He's about 40 and a good natural athlete so he's doing pretty well. I'm looking forward to playing with him some this year.

I really struggle on the greens and switched to a mallett style putter a couple of years ago. One thing I learned from rollin' balls around the house is the difference between playing barefoot or in slippers versus golf shoes which have a relatively thick sole. Be sure you are keeping the toe down on your putter. Any lift in the toe at all and those putts are gonna pull left. My father inlaw caught me doing it last year and it really helped when I focused on it.

Good luck!

Hello my goal with this thread is to show my self and any one that's interested how i progress with my game over the next year. I played my first round of golf last June and was hooked after the first swing. My first round of golf i shot a 80 its a 9hole course. Last round of the year i shot a 48 playing once a week. I have bought a membership at my local club and will be playing 3-5 times a week. I will update the tread as i work on my swing and game. Will be shooting lots of video of my self to study and hopefully help correct my poor swing. Any feed back on my video's or ideas of what i can do are always appreciated.

Heres my first trip to the driving range this past Sunday.

<br>

The sun was brutal it was strait a head of me and at just the right height so when i looked up i would be blinded by it.

UPDATE PAGE 2 2/12/12

I will be going to the driving range every other week till the course opens. I will post updates as i go and see if i can acctully hit a golf ball with just a little skill by the end of the summer

So when's the movie coming out:) What a great endeavor to do this along lines of a Michael Moore but interesting. I truly look forward to seeing how your progress unfolds. Lesson's are so important. It only took me 20 yrs to figure that out:(

Keep up the good work. Good call on the impact tape. I'm a firm believer that any problems with a golf swing can be determined and fixed methodically. You seem well on your way to improving using sound methodology.

Keep up the good work.

~Rock

Good luck on your adventure of the greats game ever played and I truly look forward to seeing how your progress unfolds.

Good luck and keep up the good work. I also just started playing golf at the end of october last year.

Cool thread.

One thing I do.... I went and bought a small nerf football at the dollar store and take that with me everywhere in the truck. I squeeze that thing constantly to strengthen my left hand and it's done wonders. It actually helped me have a "light" grip that is talked about.

So i managed to sneak out to the driving range today after work. Had a brake through in my swing today i noticed when i flex my left are some times i rotate arm inwards towards my chest causing the club face to go open. When i noticed this happening i made a effort to not do it. After that i hit 25 balls in a row straight. This makes me vary happy all i want to do hit the ball straight at this point and i think i figured that part out now. My swing still needs lots of work and my ability to rotate my waist and midsection is getting better but still not great. The different stretches i have been doing have helped allot. I will be going back to the range Sunday and will bring the video camera to see how my swing is coming and see what else i need to work on. On a side not my sons 2year birthday was Monday and i bought him his first set of clubs.

CameraZOOM-20120222222900539.jpg

He seems to enjoy hitting the foam balls around the house.

good luck with your progress, its a great game, and another great call on the birthday present..

Hey turbo, good video
Here are some tips, you can take'm or leav'm.
1. try to hold your pose after you hit, your first 3 should look more like the last one where you held your pose while watching the ball,
2. when taking the club back don’t let it go outside your target line, you do this a little in swing 2
3. on swing 3 and 4 it looks like you might be coming over the top slightly, remember you have to hit the ball with both hands, that means pulling with the left and pushing with the right, that ratio should be almost 50/50 at impact, slightly more left early in the down swing and slightly more right in the follow through. If you pull with the left and extend through the hitting area, likely the ball flight will be reasonably straight.
GL.

Well i was able to get to the range last Sunday, got some better video of my swing. But my 2 year old is well acting like a 2 year old and me and the wife are exhausted. so i have not had the ambition to edit the video or well do any thing lately. And today i came down with a cold so yay me. Will work on the video this coming week and hopefully get to the range again next Sunday.

A piece of advice, unrelated to any sort of swing thoughts, flaws or suggestions. Just have fun, try not to get too frustrated and be grateful that you have the good fortune to play golf! Once I stopped worrying about my scores, shots, miss hits the game became a lot more enjoyable and I think I progressed much quicker. Also, play play play! I spent a season doing a lot of practicing, probably playing once a week or every other week. Last season I played, sometimes several times a week and my game improved so much more.

*Mind you I have not looked at the other posts to see if this was mentioned.

You have a really good swing for a guy just picking up the game a year ago. Try rotating from your hips a little more on the backswing (...kinda like a baseball swing just a LITTLE bit.) This will help you from bringing the club vertical so fast on your backswing. Have a great year!

Here are a few swings from my last visit to the range. Went good for the most part Found a few flaws in my set up when i address the ball that i was doing wrong. Had my father in law there so watch my swing. Still new to this video editing stuff. trying to get a spit screen view of a old swing and a new swing. IM using windows movie maker right now but will be getting my wife's old mac soon when i get the right adapter to hook up to my monitor. then ill have all the photo shop stuff at my disposal. So hopfully i can make some better videos in the near future

Ive ben working on my abillity to rotate my waist and chest and all that i have not ben vary active in the past few years so ive kind of stiffened up and not a s flexible as i once was. But the short time i have ben stretching and working out has already helped. So when i can finnaly get out and play some golf this spring i should be in much better shape then now

*Mind you I have not looked at the other posts to see if this was mentioned.

You have a really good swing for a guy just picking up the game a year ago. Try rotating from your hips a little more on the backswing (...kinda like a baseball swing just a LITTLE bit.) This will help you from bringing the club vertical so fast on your backswing. Have a great year!

Ive ben working on my abillity to rotate my waist and chest and all that i have not ben vary active in the past few years so ive kind of stiffened up and not a s flexible as i once was. But the short time i have ben stretching and working out has already helped. So when i can finnaly get out and play some golf this spring i should be in much better shape then now

Just looking from your last video you posted I think your swing improved tremendously in the backswing. Are you getting a better and more constant launch angle because of it? I think so!

Seriously, great job. I wish I could improve my game as fast as you. KUDOS

Have managed to get to the range the past 2 Sundays. The 2 Sundays times where vary exciting for me, on the 4th i manly worked on my balance and stance. I found my self vary unbalanced when i was going in to my follow through and found it hard to keep my balance. Did a few different things to fix this got in to more of a sitting type position during my swing. This was probably the biggest thing i did to help my swing so far. trying not to fall over makes swing the club much easier. Got my alignment sticks out and figured out a good distance to stand from the ball to make proper contact with the ball with my most used clubs at this point (5I, 3wood,9I) and the rest i have a much better idea of where to stand when i swing. And this past Sunday was probably the most fun i have had yet at the range so far. With all the effort i have Ben putting in its nice to see progress. This game is diffidently a what you put in is what you get out of it. And i know along the way ill have horrible days and great days and im ok with that even the pros have them bad days too. My swing is starting to feel much more smooth and natural to me. I don't feel like im working to swing the club now i feel like i can swing the club with our needing to think about every little thing im doing. As my muscle memory gets better. Will be going to the range again this Sunday and will have the video camera with me this time. And my local course will be opening the begging of next month i cant wait.

Back