Finger on the Trigger HELP PLEASE!!

GolfESV

Reaction score
Handicap
20+
I am in the market to pretty much upgrade my clubs all around. I am new to this site, this is my first thread so bare with me.
I went to my local golf galaxy. I was looking at taylormade burner1 or 2.0 and Mizuno JPX-800 HD,am leaning towards Mizuno JPX-800 HD. Now that I found this wonderful site I am questioning things.
1)How can I tell if the clubs are right for me based on the launch monitor specs. I don't have a clue what to look for numbers wise.
2)Should I trust the Golf Galaxy people to fit me? I have a good relationship with two of them and I do trust them but after reading about golftec I am seconded guessing myself.
3) I am looking at cleveland and vokey wedges. Probably looking at 52,56,60. Which one is right for me?
4) I really want and have for a long time to get a Scotty Cameron Putter but, not sure if I am ready/good enough. Putting is the worst part of my game but I figure if I get a quality putter that I want I will have confidence in it.

Also want to get a new stand bag not sure what is good please make suggestions.
Thanks I will appreciate any advice given please feel free to make suggestions. I was hoping to have things figured out by the end of february.

Can't really help you much on the first 3, but for #4 it doesn't matter if you're "good" enough to get a scotty cameron putter. All that matters is if you putt better with it or not

Only thing I can say is if possible get fit at golftec for everything since your new and dont have any idea what works for you. Also welcome to THP

Ok Thanks good point!

On a monitor you want to look for spin rates and launch angle. If you're seeing excessive spin rates (mostly side spin) that's bad, unless you have a natural tendency for a draw/fade, which you should expect. Again, you're looking for EXCESSIVE rates. Golf Galaxy is usually pretty good about fitting.

Your wedge gap is a little different, it all depends on yardages. Some people don't need a 60 degree wedge and some people only need 2 wedges. I personally play a 54 and 60. GG should be able to help with that, as well.

Yea the one guy who works at the Golf Galaxy is a excellent golfer I have played with him he makes clubs and all the other guys say he is the real deal for club fitting. I trust him but guess I am wondering is GolfTec all that much better? Will I be missing out?

What kind of numbers are good to look for on the launch monitor?

Yea the one guy who works at the Golf Galaxy is a excellent golfer I have played with him he makes clubs and all the other guys say he is the real deal for club fitting. I trust him but guess I am wondering is GolfTec all that much better? Will I be missing out?

Yes, GolfTEC will be better overall from a fitting and club standpoint because there are no ties to anything and they are actual coaches that are looking at your swing as well as the numbers to determine a set that best matches.

I had my irons fitted at golf galaxy and i thought it was a good experience. It's not as expensive as golftec either. I always talk to the pro at gg, so I was comfortable with him fitting me. They are definitely capable. If you go with mizuno irons, don't forget the mizuno r12 wedges. I have two black nickel wedges and love them. It's all on what you like though. As far as the Scotty I would say get fitted for that and find something that appeals to your eye. That alone builds a ton of confidence. If you find the right putter it will be in your bag for plenty of time and you will get better with it.

How much is it for a fitting?

I had my irons fitted at golf galaxy and i thought it was a good experience. It's not as expensive as golftec either. I always talk to the pro at gg, so I was comfortable with him fitting me. They are definitely capable. If you go with mizuno irons, don't forget the mizuno r12 wedges. I have two black nickel wedges and love them. It's all on what you like though. As far as the Scotty I would say get fitted for that and find something that appeals to your eye. That alone builds a ton of confidence. If you find the right putter it will be in your bag for plenty of time and you will get better with it.
can golf galaxy fit me for the putter?

How much is it for a fitting?

Here is a home page search on GolfTEC that has TONS of information in our radio shows. If you are spending this much money on clubs, take a step back, a deep breath and make sure you are finding the clubs you like, hit well, fit in your budget and give you the confidence to enjoy the game to its fullest. I recommend taking a listen to a few of these before making the decisions.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?s=golftec

You have to remember that while Golf Galaxy is capable of doing some fittings, GolfTEC and Golf Galaxy are not the same thing. One is a retail store and the other is an actual fitting center and instruction center. They are just two completely different operations and scenarios and comparing them in some ways does a disservice to what the GolfTEC centers are using technology and knowledge wise.

In my opinion anyway.

THANKS JB!

Here is a home page search on GolfTEC that has TONS of information in our radio shows. If you are spending this much money on clubs, take a step back, a deep breath and make sure you are finding the clubs you like, hit well, fit in your budget and give you the confidence to enjoy the game to its fullest. I recommend taking a listen to a few of these before making the decisions.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?s=golftec

not to hijack the thread, but I don't suppose you have any idea when the golftec in Calgary, Alberta is going to open up do you? :D

You have to remember that while Golf Galaxy is capable of doing some fittings, GolfTEC and Golf Galaxy are not the same thing. One is a retail store and the other is an actual fitting center and instruction center. They are just two completely different operations and scenarios and comparing them in some ways does a disservice to what the GolfTEC centers are using technology and knowledge wise.

In my opinion anyway.

that's pretty much true. Golf Galaxy can help get you in the right stiffness of shaft and lie angle/length. GolfTec will do a better job at looking at what shafts work for you and so on.

not to hijack the thread, but I don't suppose you have any idea when the golftec in Calgary, Alberta is going to open up do you? :D

I dont, sorry.

well looks like I have some things to work out

Might I add that not only the overall look of the putter will add confidence, but try and focus on finding a putter that looks good at ADDRESS. The way you look down at your putter makes a big difference.

Thanks good point and I will take that into consideration when buying a putter

Wow, you've got a confusing and exciting time ahead of you.

If you can afford it, I think a GolfTEC fitting would be worth it. If you're in for a whole set, knowing your specs and knowing that the advice you just got was spot on and unbiased, can really add a great feeling to your purchasing decisions!

Went to Golf Galaxy this evening and I didn't hit the Mizuno's as well as last time for some reason. The sales guy gave me the burner 2.0 and I was hitting that much better. Not to mention the fact that they are on sale $200 less off. Which is almost enough to have me sold. I plan on going back this weekend. If I hit them well and feel good about it I will probably buy them. Unless THP convinces me otherwise. I have to say I my head is spinning a little but I hope to figure this out soon enough.

I think you should go with the Burner 2.0, Burner's are good sticks for anyone over the handicap of 10, and some people under that still prefer them over others. Also, with the sale on right now due to the RBZ line coming out soon, where could you go wrong?

Yea that is kind of what I am thinking. Unless I was killing it with the mizuno's which the first time I tried them I did but with the sale I feel like I could put that towards a wedge or something! Thanks for the input

Back