Fat and all that...

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
Been having some problems lately with hitting the ball fat with my irons and wedges. Probably costing me about 10 strokes a round.

Just wondering what some of the best drills are for eliminating this tendency?

Thanks for the help!!

Been 5 days since I posted my question.......no takers??

Been 5 days since I posted my question.......no takers??

This is in the Ask the Pro Section. As the Golftec pro's are quite new here, they are trying to get to everyone in a timely manner and will get to your question in time. If you want an answer or opinions from other members the post should be in the Swing Tips section of the forum.

This is in the Ask the Pro Section. As the Golftec pro's are quite new here, they are trying to get to everyone in a timely manner and will get to your question in time. If you want an answer or opinions from other members the post should be in the Swing Tips section of the forum.

I realize that.
After looking at the Ask The Pro thread and seeing lots of questions answered after mine was originally posted, I was just curious as to why no takers on mine...

I realize that.
After looking at the Ask The Pro thread and seeing lots of questions answered after mine was originally posted, I was just curious as to why no takers on mine...

Patience grashopper, patience..lol I haven't had mine answered either but they will get to it. They are new and just figuring everything out.

Hey guys, thanks for your comments. We have three Coaches who answer questions but unfortunately due to their coaching schedules aren't able to be here every day.

You'll be hearing from Patrick tomorrow! Patrick is our Tuesday Coach, Lance is here Wednesdays and Trevor is your resident Coach on Saturdays.

Thanks again for your patience.

Thought I would jump on here tonight as I have a full day tomorrow and ran acroos this one. Sorry tdinbr we did not get to this....I just came off of my normal two days off and our busy seasons do peak in July and run in to August.

Not sure if you have checked out any other other posts regarding contact misses but in the future if you are waiting on a response you might find a tip we have posted to another question that could help with your problems in there. I know I put in one of my favorite drills for thin shots (since thin and heavy shots tend to come from the same faults) to the post "thin and left misses" or something like that last week.

As for you problem of hitting heavy shots and what drills to do to help eliminate that miss.....its hard to say without a video of your swing but the three largest reasons I see my students hitting heavy shots is because 1) they have some issues at setup with their body position relative to the ball position, 2) they move laterally away from the ball in their backswing, or 3 they fail to shift forward correctly or enough in the forward swing. You will have to do some self evaluation over your next practice sessions and relay some feedback to us if you want us to help you answer this correctly but in the meantime here is where I would start.

1st - find out if you are moving laterally in the backswing. Place a range basket outside your right leg (assuming you are a righty). If you feel this or move it going back then there is some lateral motion that you need to work on first and maybe some setup issues that could help reduce that.
2nd - find out how well you get through the ball in the forward swing. A full finish is one where all your weight is on the front leg and you are in balance, your body face your target entirely, and your are in a "tall" position meaning that your right side of the body is higher or even with the left side of your body.

Once we get more on that then we can give more appropriate advice for you ok. Thanks!

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden,, CO
PGA Certified Professional

I have been fighting swaying back in my swing forever it seems so this tip makes sense. Next time I go to the range I will try the range basket drill to see if that is the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Patrick,

I believe that you have identified my problem!

I'm playing again after a long layoff (over 2 years) and in another post I wrote that: "...My driver has become my best friend and it's pretty much "point and shoot", but all I'm doing with my irons is either slightly chunking them or hitting them thin."

After reading your response, I think that #3 is my issue.
I have no trouble shifting my weight forward with my driver and as a result my drives are booming. But I think that I'm being too tentative with my irons and I'm not shifting weight properly (or at all) and I think that's because hitting off a tee and hitting off the deck are two different things and I'm not as concerned about making contact with a teed ball as I am with a grounded ball.

I'm going to work on this and I'll bet the rent that it's the root of my problems.

Thanks for posting that response! :thumb:

Finally got a break in all the rain here and made it to the range last night. Tried the drill with the bucket next to my right foot and never touched it in my backswing so I must not be swaying back laterally.
I guess I am not getting through to my left side completely in my follow through. I will work more on this....

Sounds good - something to look for to tell whether you are getting to a good finish or not is to evaluate your finish position. Here is what I want you to evaluate.

1 - is your weight on the front foot and is your body completely facing the target?
2 - is there any weight on the back foot at all?

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back