Titleist 716 AP1 Irons - THP Review Thread

The forgiveness between the two is what stuck out to me. The 716 seemed a lot more forgiving to me. The lofts between the sets are also different and the 716 felt a little hotter, but consistency was easier with the 716 for me. I was very close to getting a set of 714's last year and hit them a ton, but from what I saw out of the 716's, I'd take them every time. That's just me though.

While there seem to be differences in opinion, experiences and reviews on how much of an upgrade these are from their predecessor, we all seem to agree they are a solid offering. They are the best iron release this year for me based on what I've hit and a significant upgrade.

The forgiveness between the two is what stuck out to me. The 716 seemed a lot more forgiving to me. The lofts between the sets are also different and the 716 felt a little hotter, but consistency was easier with the 716 for me. I was very close to getting a set of 714's last year and hit them a ton, but from what I saw out of the 716's, I'd take them every time. That's just me though.

While there seem to be differences in opinion, experiences and reviews on how much of an upgrade these are from their predecessor, we all seem to agree they are a solid offering. They are the best iron release this year for me based on what I've hit and a significant upgrade.

716's are really good! Although reviews are strong but vary a bit, I can tell you put extra time in to make your decision. koudos to you! Enjoy the new set if you choose to buy! we are lucky to have in our golf family the ability to have all these clubs tested, it awesome.

Last edited:
All - I just picked up a 5-PW in Titleist 2016 VG3 Type-Ds. They are similar to AP1 in size (slightly larger) and forged. I plan on getting fit for shafts this week.

VG3s are on the left in the photos.

20160311_183759_zpsiy8yw8iq.jpg

20160311_183704_zpsvl9tplwb.jpg

20160311_183656_zpsh7ua5z9j.jpg

20160311_183548_zpstwrzr7g5.jpg

Excited to hear how you like those VG3's. They look great!

Good looking iron, Asian market release?
Yes....they are JDM. There are also Korean AP1s that are forged.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Excited to hear how you like those VG3's. They look great!

I got fit for the VG3s today. I ended up with the Nippon Zelos 7 stiff irons (softstepped twice). With the fitting I was able to gain 10mph ball speed and 17 yards over my Srixon 545s w/Recoils shafts.

Also..the fitting was the first time I got to hit them. They are some of the best feeling irons I have ever hit....you can't beat the feel plus all the forgiveness they have.

Good to hear. The Zelos shafts are the real deal for us slow swing speed guys. I have the Zelos 8 and they are light weight but smooth and stable.

Will be interested with your on-course experience with them.

My AP1's came in today. I can't wait to hit them. A lot of rain forecast this week so hopefully Thursday or Friday.

719394781ef87006ff7e4ad86e644b1b.jpg
8345a9807bb1b54fcb38ff55f9caf16f.jpg

Nothing like shiny new toys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an up and down day with these. Granted it was my first time out and a steady 20 mile an hour wind that was in my face half of the holes. What did stand out for me was the 5 iron. I never have hit one well till today. I hit a few shots right at 200 or so yards. This is something that I was missing in my game for sure. I over hit a few greens on Par 3's as I haven't figured out the distances yet. I hope to get back to the driving range and get that locked in.

I had an up and down day with these. Granted it was my first time out and a steady 20 mile an hour wind that was in my face half of the holes. What did stand out for me was the 5 iron. I never have hit one well till today. I hit a few shots right at 200 or so yards. This is something that I was missing in my game for sure. I over hit a few greens on Par 3's as I haven't figured out the distances yet. I hope to get back to the driving range and get that locked in.

Really took me the better part of 3-4 rounds to get completely comfortable with the AP1's, but now that I have, I'm seeing some pretty crazy distance gains. At least a 1-1.5 club gained in distance.
And the feel of these on well struck shots is just awesome.
Last round, my buddy hit a shot with my PW and it went further than the same shot he hit with his 9i (Mizuno MP-H5).

Really took me the better part of 3-4 rounds to get completely comfortable with the AP1's, but now that I have, I'm seeing some pretty crazy distance gains. At least a 1-1.5 club gained in distance.
And the feel of these on well struck shots is just awesome.
Last round, my buddy hit a shot with my PW and it went further than the same shot he hit with his 9i (Mizuno MP-H5).

That's part of the problem I was having. These are definitely longer for me. The wind didn't help.

I've just added a 48 degree wedge, but that was mainly a feel thing as I don't like hitting chip and runs with a graphite shaft as in my pw. I did go from the 43 pw to my 52 degree GW for a while though, and didn't have a problem. I pay absolutely zero attention to my lofts. It's how far I hit them that I am interested in.

How did you guys set up your bag with the strong pitching wedge and gap wedges in this set????

48, 52 and 56. No distance issues whatsoever. I have enjoyed the set, my swing is still bad, lol, but the irons do help a lot.

How did you guys set up your bag with the strong pitching wedge and gap wedges in this set????

I got through GW2 or the 52° so I go PW (43°), GW1 (47°), GW2 (52°) and then 2 Vokey SM5's - 56° and 60°

Has been working out great so far...
PW - 130-140yd
GW1 - 120-130yd
GW2 - 110-120yd
SW - 100-110yd
LW - 85-95yd

I got through GW2 or the 52° so I go PW (43°), GW1 (47°), GW2 (52°) and then 2 Vokey SM5's - 56° and 60°

Has been working out great so far...
PW - 130-140yd
GW1 - 120-130yd
GW2 - 110-120yd
SW - 100-110yd
LW - 85-95yd
I have basically the same wedge set up, what do you use for hybrids, woods, driver?

I have basically the same wedge set up, what do you use for hybrids, woods, driver?

I got fitted into a bit of a hodge podge bag.
Driver/3W - Callaway GBB
Hybrids - 20°/23° Ping G25's
6-W2 for the AP1's

I got fitted into a bit of a hodge podge bag.
Driver/3W - Callaway GBB
Hybrids - 20°/23° Ping G25's
6-W2 for the AP1's
Trying to decide if I drop a wedge or a wood..... going to get more familiar with distances in new set first.
I have AP1s 4-W, Vokey 50,54,58. Only room for 3H and one other weapon...

Trying to decide if I drop a wedge or a wood..... going to get more familiar with distances in new set first.
Jumping in here if you don't mind. But not knowing anything about your game, I'd suggest tryng the 816 H1 21 degree to replace that 4 iron. I have it and the 23 degree (took out my 5) as well and it's the best thing I've ever done, I'm the exact same handicap as you.

Take a look at my signature as I have the same wedge set up as you, and I'm very confident in my gaps and distances right now.

I opted for the extra wedge so I have 5 including the set PW and W1/W2

I wanted to have tighter gaps at that end of the bag.
I rarely hit my 6i, I usually just opt for my 23° Hybrid once I'm at 200. Anything further than 215ish will by my 20° and then 3W at 240+.
But for my game, I'm gonna err on the side of hitting 2 iron shots from 230+ on par 5's unless it's pretty wide open and a stray shot won't hurt me too much.

Jumping in here if you don't mind. But not knowing anything about your game, I'd suggest tryng the 816 H1 21 degree to replace that 4 iron. I have it and the 23 degree (took out my 5) as well and it's the best thing I've ever done, I'm the exact same handicap as you.

Take a look at my signature as I have the same wedge set up as you, and I'm very confident in my gaps and distances right now.
I do like my wedge gapping right now! My 4 iron is good for 205 yards. I have a 21* 910H that's usually my 215-220 club. Driver average is about 260. I feel if I replace my 4 iron with hybrids , I'll have too much gap from my 5 iron.

Back