New Irons? Need some opinions.

Mercer85

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all.

I bought the CB 4-6, MC 7-PW Combo set back in March from TMAG through my Connection account.

Well after about 20 rounds with them, I am thinking I made a big mistake with these irons. I went with them because of the big discount that I received on them through TMAG and the little time I did spend with irons was great. However, I never hit these outside on real grass.

I expected a little less forgiveness and distance because of the smaller clubhead and weaker lofts (MCs). It seems though that I have about a 1.5-2 club difference now and my misses are much more costly with these irons. I've always felt that I have been a pretty good ball striker, but it seems I may not have the swing for these irons.

So what I am thinking of doing is selling these irons and using the money to buy some new ones. However, I have fell in love with the feel of forged irons. So these are all the irons I am thinking about giving a try and I am looking for the opinions of some fellow THPers on which irons I should look into and which irons I should stay away from either because they are very similar to the MCs.

Mizuno MP-53s (love the looks and seemed very easy to hit at Golf Galaxy. That's what I said about the MCs though too)

Cleveland CG16 Tours (Looks and easy to hit. I've hit these at a demo outside on the range and liked them a lot)

Callaway RAZR X Tours (not forged, but still feel really good)

TaylorMade Burner 2.0s (sexy looking clubs, but not a huge fan of the way they feel. Still very easy to hit and hit a long ways)

Srixon ZStars (hit these at the Cleveland demo and loved the feel of them. Still have had very little exposure to them)

Cleveland CG16 (a little chunky looking for me, but love the distance and forgiveness and they feel really really good compared to the 2.0s)

Of all those irons, I really like the Mizunos the best, but I am afraid I am going to see similar results with the Mizuno irons.

I really want to get to some demo days, but it is a little to late in the year for demo days in the Dayton area. I can't find any.

What are your opinion guys? I just really want to hear the opinions of everyone else. Do you think I should continue to try the MCs and learn to hit them better? Open to all suggestions you may offer as well.

I think whatever you decide to do make sure you get fit. Try the Morgan Cup Callaway Thread they have some good things to say about the Razr iron line. I say why not try all of them and pick what works best for you based on results not name

I'd take the Razr X Tour 100 out of 100 times out of that list. They aren't near as punishing as what you're experiencing now. Imo, they look just as good at address.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

If the MC's aren't doing it for you mate, the 53's will be worse from my experience. I wanted to love the 53's but on a bad ball striking day these puppies are vindictive.

If we're talking forged I'd say look at the Z-star's and Cobra S3 Pro all CB set. If forged isn't it then the Razr X tours are awesome and you've already hit the CG16 tours and liked them.

Is it just the MC's that are causing the problem? What about getting ride of the MC's and filling up your set with the TM CB's?

If the MC's aren't doing it for you mate, the 53's will be worse from my experience. I wanted to love the 53's but on a bad ball striking day these puppies are vindictive.

If we're talking forged I'd say look at the Z-star's and Cobra S3 Pro all CB set. If forged isn't it then the Razr X tours are awesome and you've already hit the CG16 tours and liked them.

Is it just the MC's that are causing the problem? What about getting ride of the MC's and filling up your set with the TM CB's?

The MCs are the biggest problem. The CBs are much easier to hit, but for some reason I get the same distance out of the 4 and 5 iron. I hit both 200 yards. It's strange.

Did you try the mizuno jpx 800 pro? They are pretty forgiving, but they are still forged.

Out of that list it would be between the CG16 tours and the z-stars for me,with the CG16 tours winning by a hair.I also like the Razr X tours,i hit those very good and liked them alot.

JPX 800 Pros are nice and are really easy to hit. I love Mizuno irons and could hit the MX-300 very well even when my ball striking was sketchy. The JPX Pros are a close cousin to the MX-300's and might be even easier to hit.

The Z-Stars are going to give you as much forgiveness as you could probably ever ask for and are Burner 2.0 long! But, I have to tell you it's kind of a pain having people on the range and course always wanting to ask you where you got those amazing looking irons.

In the end, go with what makes you knock down flagsticks.

I would like to add Nike VR Pro Combo's to the mix. Yes the short irons are blades but they are very easy to hit

What ever you choose though you really need to make sure to get fitted for them

The only trouble I have is finding someone I trust for a fitting. I went to Golfsmith for a fitting once and left very disappointed. Golf Galaxy would be an option, but they don't have the Srixons and I would love to spend more time with those irons.

Id say try out the Taylormade CB's, Ive hit them and loved them as well as the Cleveland CG16's, just havent hit the tour yet

Completing the CB set may be the best approach because it would be the cheapest for me at this time. I may end up doing that shortly, but I want to keep my options open for now. Hopefully I find the right irons because my driver/woods/hybrids play have been better than ever...which is unusual for me.

Mizuno and get a tune up.I have a set of MP-60s and love them.Bought them used and I'm hooked.find out what you're doing and then fix it.

I tried the Wilson FG Tours. Forged cavity back blade with a bit larger head that feels sweet and instills confidence. I have also tried the Srixon Z-TX. A forged cavity back that feels awesome. A bit heavier club then some, but great feel.

Went to Golf Galaxy today. TaylorMade MB's and Nike VR Pro Combo set=sexy.

Went to Golf Galaxy today. TaylorMade MB's and Nike VR Pro Combo set=sexy.

Hey gamechock quick question. I'm sure you didn't ask or see any but by chance did you happen to see any TM R9s? or R9 TPs? And even if not have you ever hit them and what did you think?

If the TMs aren't working and based on your list I liked the Srixons and Cleveland Tours a lot. I feel those particular Muzunos are just as punishing as the TMs in terms of forgiveness.

The CG16 Tours and the RXT's are pretty easy to hit, but dint discount Ping i15's.

I was in a similar situation to you and it was really a choice between the above irons until I got fitted (again) and hit the i15 with the correct shaft. Forgiving whilst not horrible to look at from address and with the right shaft a great club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey gamechock quick question. I'm sure you didn't ask or see any but by chance did you happen to see any TM R9s? or R9 TPs? And even if not have you ever hit them and what did you think?

A friend of mine has them, hits them a quarter mile, but then again he aims right and hits back across them, so it delofts them a shitton.

I hit them and they felt a little too forgiving to me. Didn't seem to want to spin the ball back, and just kind of a weird high launch. When I hit an iron, I want to compress it, shoot it out with a nice low-mid flight, and if need be, hit a high fade to land it soft. I didn't feel like I could hit any of that with these.

Completing the CB set may be the best approach because it would be the cheapest for me at this time. I may end up doing that shortly, but I want to keep my options open for now. Hopefully I find the right irons because my driver/woods/hybrids play have been better than ever...which is unusual for me.

That may be your best option. If not then maybe you start with the slate clean and look at all possible options and not just the clubs on your list here

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

A friend of mine has them, hits them a quarter mile, but then again he aims right and hits back across them, so it delofts them a shitton.

I hit them and they felt a little too forgiving to me. Didn't seem to want to spin the ball back, and just kind of a weird high launch. When I hit an iron, I want to compress it, shoot it out with a nice low-mid flight, and if need be, hit a high fade to land it soft. I didn't feel like I could hit any of that with these.

Oh alright well maybe a different shaft would have been better? But thanks for the small review. I'm looking for a TM blade and didn't want to spend the money on their new line...but I still havent hit a blade yet either

Oh alright well maybe a different shaft would have been better? But thanks for the small review. I'm looking for a TM blade and didn't want to spend the money on their new line...but I still havent hit a blade yet either

They were stiff shafted, just felt weird (lack of a better word). The MB line feels great, and it almost inspires confidence looking over it. Maybe it's cause this is my first time with a smaller clubface, but the well struck balls felt a lot better than do my Clevelands when they're tagged.

Thanks guys for all the comments. They've been helpful.

I read that the Mizunos were loaded with forgiveness, but that must have been compared to their line and not to other player's irons on the market.

The RXTs have been intrigued because they were on my short list before going with my current setup and, after reading the remarks that some THPers have made, they will def. on the short list again.

Along with the RXTs, I will be looking at the CG16Ts, Srixons, and filling out my CB set. I do like that the RXTs lofts are just a little bumped up over the CG16s

I pretty much hit all of those clubs during the demo day Mercer. Like you, I wanted to like the MC's but they were just too punishing. To me the cast/forged thing didn't matter so here were my top 3 from all those irons you listed:

1) RXT's
2) Wilson FG Tour
3) Srixon ZStar

It was a real close call for 1&2 and I could've gone either way. I also think that the new V2 FG Tour could be a gem because if it hits like this past year's model and the looks are a big improvement then they might have something. Hit all of them though and make sure you get fit for the shaft and don't just settle for stock unless that is what's recommended. Hope this helps.

Back