2011 Club Championship Thread

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Our club championship is not until August 6th & 7th, but I'm sure there are a few clubs that have theirs earlier. Ours is broken down in the following groups;

Mens (age 18 to 49)
Senior (age 50 to 69)
Super Senior (age 70 and up)
Ladies (age 18 to 49)
Senior Ladies (age 50 and up)

The winner in each groups gets a nice trophy, some cash, pro shop cash and a reserved parking space for the year. Trophies are also awarded to the handicap champs, but actual score gets the big prizes.

Over the years I've been in the top 5 several times, been in two playoffs but never won with my highest finish being 3rd (twice), 4th (three times) and 5th (twice). But over the last six or seven years, father time has caught up with me and left me in the dust of the young players. I get to move up to the senior group in 2012, so I have high hopes once I get there.

How about everyone else?

Our club doesn't break ours down by age, just 21 on up.... I've been petitioning the committee to let the seniors (55 on up), tee up one tee box up from the back tees. We have flights by HI.

Ours is flighted by 'cap. Two rounds of stroke play, then the two lowest in each flight play a nine hole match, The championship flight plays and 18 hole match. I lost one down in the second flight last year.

The event this year is August 20-21. Fortunately, I'm going to be out of town.

Kevin

Ours is usually the week before/week of the pga championship. We have 3 flights, championship, 1st, and 2nd. 18 holes of match play, final round is 36. Our membership is small, so the flighting is done by the board, and we all have a pretty good idea of the usual participants skill level, so it usually gets bracketed appropriately.

Ours usually runs in late September or early October. I won our mens championship 10 times, but the last time was in 2000. I am 58 now, but I still opt to play in the mens open division. I played one time in the Senior division a few years back, but found absolutely no motivation there. I know if I play well I can contend - in 2008 I tied for the men's championship, but lost on the 5th hole of the playoff. On the first hole of the playoff I hit an 8I to within 2 feet for birdie, but my opponent put his approach within 5 feet and matched me - great memories!

Do any of your clubs have junior club championships?

Ours is flighted by handicap as well...3 rounds of stroke play. I finished 3rd in my flight last year, this year I will be bumped up a few flights, it's August 5-7th.

Do any of your clubs have junior club championships?

Our club has a junior championship which will be held later in August once all the state events are over. It is broke into two groups for the boys by age and one group for the girls.

Our senior flight starts at age 60 - 69 and then the super senior at 70 +.
women flight is open
Junior flight stops at age 18
Regular flights are based on handicap up to age 59.

I shot 87 , 80 this year in my club championship which won me another chance to play again next year :D

Ours is in Sept. They are broken down by index and then there is the open division for the scratch players and a separate junior division. We play 2 rounds of stroke play and I believe it is top 4 in each flight play the next weekend in match play. I have only been in this club 2 years and haven't made it to match play yet. Hopefully this is the year I at least make it to match play.

Our club championship is in early July. It's two days, 27 holes a day. Makes for a long two day and you must stay constant. I know a lot of you ask why in the hell is it some early.... Well it's because they top 6 play for the state team the rest of the year competing all over the tri state area of PA MD and VA.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

August 6th and 7th here as well, 36 hole stroke play flighted by handicap with an overall winner and a low net winner taking home the big prizes. I've finished 2nd in my flight a couple of times, I'll be moving up a flight this year.

I was going to skip my club (city) tournament, because I haven't prepared for it at all. It takes a good solid week or two of chipping practice. It's a par 31, with a lot of 200+ yard par 3s to small greens.

The tournament was supposed to be this past weekend. One person showed up, apparently said he's the winner by default, and wanted his $300. The tournament was rescheduled, not sure to when though. Given the general lack of enthusiasm for the tournament, I may have to play in it this year.

I just signed up to play in the Club Championship today. Its July 30th-31st. I have never played a round of tournament golf before, Im really looking forward to the experience! August 8-9 my friend and I will be playing in a two man championship match, so hopefully the club championship will help me with the nervous jitters that may come along!

I just signed up to play in the Club Championship today. Its July 30th-31st. I have never played a round of tournament golf before, Im really looking forward to the experience! August 8-9 my friend and I will be playing in a two man championship match, so hopefully the club championship will help me with the nervous jitters that may come along!
What ball are you going to play? :)

Mine is this weekend on Saturday/Sunday. Not sure of the ages but it's broken down into:

Junior
Mens
Senior
Womens
Senior Womens

I am in the Juniors although I wish I was playing in the mens.

My senior club championship is this weekend, I should be in the hunt, I'm scratch. The real prize is at the end of august, the club championship, with the trophy named for my deceased father. The Kremke Cup. I've had top five finishes each of the last five years, and think this may be my last real chance. Wish me luck fellow THP junkies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is this weekend on Saturday/Sunday. Not sure of the ages but it's broken down into:

Junior
Mens
Senior
Womens
Senior Womens

I am in the Juniors although I wish I was playing in the mens.

It will come. At my age, I'm wishing I was still in the juniors!

My senior club championship is this weekend, I should be in the hunt, I'm scratch. The real prize is at the end of august, the club championship, with the trophy named for my deceased father. The Kremke Cup. I've had top five finishes each of the last five years, and think this may be my last real chance. Wish me luck fellow THP junkies!

Good luck to you! That is very cool that the trophy is named for your father. Very nice. Play well!

Ours had been in August until 2010 when the Senior Championship was delayed because of heat until October. This year the club championship and senior club championships were both early in May on the same date. Which kind of ruins the summer for me, I really like preparing all summer for the August tournaments. This May I wasn't very competitive because of a total knee replacement seven weeks before the tournament. Also this year they played both the same weekend where in the past, the two were two weeks apart so I could play in both.

For the all tournaments except Super Senior, flights are grouped by handicap index then everyone plays stroke play.

Men of any age can play in Championship flights and First through Fourth or Fifth flights.

The championship flights play back tees and anyone in any flight can win the club championship. These are Championship A, Championship B, Championship C, etc-usually four or five flights.
Those flights range in HI from about 4 to +4. In reality, Championship A always produces the winner with handicap indices usually from +2 to +4.
This year our club champion also is the Georgia State Amateur champion.

There is another level of golfers who play the middle tees, not eligible for the championship but can win plaques and pro shop credits. These flights are First flight through fourth or fifth flights. These flights handicap indices range from about 4 to 12 and a few which are even higher. Anyone in these flights can opt to play in a championship flight.

The Senior championship is for age 55 and up and plays the middle tees. There are usually 4-6 flights of seniors. HI ranges from +.1 up to maybe 15. Anyone in any senior flight can win the senior championship. Flights are Senior Championship, Senior First flight, ... Senior fourth flight (or however many are needed)

Super Senior Championship is for 65 and up. There is only one flight and they play a gross and net division. Gross wins the parking place.

Ladies championship is at a different time as are the junior and junior girls championships.

Parking spots are awarded to Club Champion, Senior Club Champion, Super Senior Club Champion, Ladies Club Champion, Ladies Senior Club Champion.
All flights have plaques for the winners and pro shop credits are awarded for several places.

Until this year, I played in both tournaments, sometimes in the highest index Championship flight and sometimes in the first flight. In the senior tournament, I usually play in either the Championship flight or the First flight. I have placed a number of times in my flight and won several flights but never a parking spot. This year I didn't do very well at all except that it was a moral victory just to be able to play at that point.

Shot an 80 in the first round of my club champ. Not the score I wanted but considering the bad weather we had I got lucky that the leading score was higher. I am 5 shots back currently.

Shot an 80 in the first round of my club champ. Not the score I wanted but considering the bad weather we had I got lucky that the leading score was higher. I am 5 shots back currently.

Good luck tomorrow. Go low and those five shot can be made up. Play smart and one shot at a time.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

As long as your driver shows up tomorrow you can make that up no problem. Don't worry about anyone but yourself and your score. Post something solid and then see where that puts you. Good luck!!

So I went out in 37, limped home in 40, am five shots back in third. The Nubbins is staying in the locker and am going back to the old faithful XG-7

We have different categories. Men's, women's, junior's and then age & gender groups as well (35/45/55/65).

Will be going for my 8th consecutive and 9th in 10 in the Men's Championship. :highfive:

Back