Dear PGA, show their skills.....

superhawk

Reaction score
Handicap
me
A couple of years ago I watched a skills contest between PGA players and it was awesome. The "Skills Challenge". I wish there were more events like this. It's exciting and fun to watch how great these players are.

One thing I DO NOT enjoy with regular tournaments on TV is watching a player take 3-5 minutes to line up their putt. I don't need to see that....just show the player when he hits the ball. For me it's just wasted time.

The Skills Challenge and the stuff they do on the Big Break show are FUN to watch. There should be more of this shown to the public instead of players just walking around the green. Don't get me wrong...I love watching "regular" golf too.

I'd watch this.

A couple of years ago I watched a skills contest between PGA players and it was awesome. The "Skills Challenge". I wish there were more events like this. It's exciting and fun to watch how great these players are.

One thing I DO NOT enjoy with regular tournaments on TV is watching a player take 3-5 minutes to line up their putt. I don't need to see that....just show the player when he hits the ball. For me it's just wasted time.

The Skills Challenge and the stuff they do on the Big Break show are FUN to watch. There should be more of this shown to the public instead of players just walking around the green. Don't get me wrong...I love watching "regular" golf too.

The one thing I seem to notice when I watch the Euro events on TV is that they don't spend a lot of time showing this stuff, like you said, lining up a putt forever. They do a much better job, in my eyes anyway. No Sir Nick drabble either. Yesterday was painful at times with the amount of time a couple of players take. I was just thankful we didn't have Crane and Jim Furyk in the final group. They might be still trying to finish......

I'm not a huge fan of the skills thing I guess. It just seems to "made for TV". I'd rather go to an event and watch them on the range. The BMW Championship is near me this September (already bought tickets) and I'll be there watching the guys warmup on the range. You can really see them hitting some wild shots there live.

I just watched a Skill Challenge around the first of January. Pretty sure they still do it yearly before the first even in Hawaii.

[QUOTEThe one thing I seem to notice when I watch the Euro events on TV is that they don't spend a lot of time showing this stuff, like you said, lining up a putt forever.][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's true. I used to have the ONE WORLD SPORTS channel and enjoyed watching the golf on it because it was edited and only showed the shots.

Anyone remember that commercial with Woods where he's hitting balls into different windows on a building? I love that stuff.

Havnt seen that commercial you are talking about superhawk, but it sounds cool.

I feel the things you are talking about is just for show, not really golf. Sure it can be fun to see someone do a bit of crazy "golfing", but for me it isnt really golf.
But i also understand your view point. It's not fun to see someone line up a putt for 5+min.. I have only witnessed what Hoosier is talking about in his reply to this thread, that they are showing the people that is actually "shooting" and not walking around thinking that long. It has to be some kind of tempo or else it would turn boring (sometimes).

I would definitely watch this, even though it would likely compose of players I'm not too fond of. But you also have to think about it from a financial stand-point, would the PGA be making a significant amount of money from this event? Or would it be worth it by having more fan involvement?

I don't think it would hold my interest like a regular tournament.

Although, I would like to see more of the field during the PGA coverage. It's as if they're short of cameras sometimes.

A Skills Competition with trick shots, difficult lies and such would be a lot of fun. You could throw in things like longest drive, straightest drive, most backspin etc...and do crazy things like the European Tour do with their "every shot imaginable" videos.

I'd watch a Big Break: Pros mini-series where they play for a charity or something.

Pretty sure they did some kind of skill thing in the middle of the year sometime in the past too. I remember Vijay Singh was hitting some real good shots left-handed.

While at the 2008 BMW in St. Louis, I saw Eric Axley hit a shot through a hole in some tree branches that I couldn't have thrown a football through if you gave me 400 tries. It was amazing. I thought the guy was dead in the water and was going to have to punch out sideways. He kept looking up and I looked at my GF and so no freaking way. If Erix Axley can do stuff like that, I would love to see what the Tigers, and the Phils and the Vijays can do in a prime time type event. Make it for charity or something.

I also watched Fredric Jacobson spin and back up shots out of the practice sand at Cog Hill. One handed. While talking on his cell phone before his round. He must have done 100 of them, while chatting it up. These guys are good and unfortunately, we don't get to see HOW good most of the time.

They have a skills challenge they do for TV every year and it usually airs right around Christmas....2 player teams and they have to hit shots from various situations....they do a long drive, long iron approach, short iron approach, bunker shots, trouble shots

There only only 5 teams in it I think though.

They have a skills challenge they do for TV every year and it usually airs right around Christmas....2 player teams and they have to hit shots from various situations....they do a long drive, long iron approach, short iron approach, bunker shots, trouble shots

There only only 5 teams in it I think though.

Yeah, that is the ADT Skills. I remember Annika and Morgan were on a team, Nick Price and Calc if I remember right. That is, eh, ok, I guess, but you are not getting to see a real full range of shots. I mean, anyone can "long drive" or pitch it close, and honestly, how long is Zach Johnson and Rocco Mediate anyways. Fans want to see Bubba and D.J. bombing it 350 and players hitting stingers and busting out windows and stuff. Just IMO!

Back