Dang, those are some seriously old looking' irons! Congrats, SMG!

Tap before talk.

LOL @ seriously old looking... You meant good I assume haha

LOL @ seriously old looking... You meant good I assume haha

Your assumption may very well be correct, haha.

Tap before talk.

I just spent maybe 10 minutes hitting the 7-iron down at GG. These irons feel freakishly good. When I get a fitting, sometime this year for irons, i20's will definitely be in consideration!

I was concerned about the bounce specs on paper, but the Ping rep at demo day convinced me to try them first since there are many factors in how bounce really affects out in performance (I'm paraphrasing our conversation) - Ping is so good at adjusting your clubs after you buy then, I decided to wait to see if I really have a problem. Hopign for the first rodind this weekend so I'll comment on this for sure if I notice anything.

Ping lets you apply sole grinds. For example you can get some material from the heel or leading edge taken off both on irons and wedges. In this case though they were taking about a full sole grind where Ping is just shaving it down to lower the bounce. You can get as many as 4 degrees taken off so if 12 is too much bounce for you on a PW for example you can get it ground down to as low as 8 instead (and thus matching the Anser's).

I was concerned about the bounce specs on paper, but the Ping rep at demo day convinced me to try them first since there are many factors in how bounce really affects out in performance (I'm paraphrasing our conversation) - Ping is so good at adjusting your clubs after you buy then, I decided to wait to see if I really have a problem. Hopign for the first rodind this weekend so I'll comment on this for sure if I notice anything.

Let us know how it goes for you.

I know there is more to the sole then bounce. Heel to toe length, camber, sole width as well as the trailing and leading edge as all important. I've also seen the transcript from Mike that the bounce is higher because of where the COG is located so people can really go down after them. That's not my swing however and after seeing CL's pics of them vs the Wilson's I'd be all over grinding from the off.

Had a chance to hit these yesterday at Golf Town, finally.

Started off hitting the 7i. These have about the same sole width as my Deep Reds, but a thinner top line, which I must say was really pleasing to the eye. As for distance, I currently hit my Deep Red 7i around 155-165, the monitor was telling me I was hitting these about 162-170 total, so about 5-7 yrds further than my current irons. It's pretty hard to get shot shape from a launch monitor, but if the monitor was any indication, I was seeing a slight draw, which I is what I usually hit with my short irons anyways, but with a slightly higher launch angle, it would be a higher ball flight, which is perfect for what I want to see in an iron.

I then moved up to the 4i and saw much of the same. Slight high draw, which was really nice to see because I have a hard time putting any shot shape at all on the ball with the Deep Reds long irons. One major difference was the increase in distance though. Normally hit my 4i 180-190, but was consistently hitting the i20's 195-210 when I really took a swing. This is a pretty significant increase for irons and I was loving every minute of it. I have problems with consistency in my long irons, but the 4i was really easy to hit and get the ball in the air, consistently at that. Even on miss hits, which for me is off the toe, there wasn't a whole lot of distance lost, maybe 3 yrds. Ping says these irons should promote a high ball flight and be workable and from what I saw on the launch monitor, I fully believe they have come through on that.

As for the stock CFS shaft, which I was hitting a stiff flex in, I though was a pretty decent shaft for my swing. Though the lightness of the shaft compared to most stiff flex shafts took a little getting use too. The Deep Reds have the fat shafts, which are far from light, so these were noticeably lighter to me. I no it's not an offering from Ping, but would really like to try these with the slightly heavier KBS tour shafts to see if there are any differences for me, other than the heavier weight.

Then finally, I'm not one who really understands a lot behind the who forged vs. cast irons war as my experience with forged irons are pretty limited, but I must say, the feel of these are unbelievable. When you consider the forgiveness and size (which is a perfect match between confidence and looking good to the eye), these are near the top for feel from everything I have hit for irons.

For those who have these, congrats on an amazing iron. Now I just need to rob a bank.

Nice write up and thoughts ghost. Once again another satisfied i20 demo experience.

I can't get over how positive pretty much every response has been. Except for JB if I remember right, everyone who has tried these has fallen in love with them.

Exceptional write up Ghost. These have certainly impressed me and hope to get them on the course tomorrow.

TapAhoy!

Again great feedback everyone. This topic is hot :).

Tomorrow i'll get fitted by ping at the demo day, can't wait! Very exciting, it's the first time i'm attending a demo day. I've tried many different sets of different brand but there are still a few I didn't hit (Cobra amp, wilson di11 etc.). But the i20's are on the top of my list.
Most people here are going with 5-PW, as I do not have a good SW and GW I'm considering getting those as well..

Again great feedback everyone. This topic is hot :).

Tomorrow i'll get fitted by ping at the demo day, can't wait! Very exciting, it's the first time i'm attending a demo day. I've tried many different sets of different brand but there are still a few I didn't hit (Cobra amp, wilson di11 etc.). But the i20's are on the top of my list.
Most people here are going with 5-PW, as I do not have a good SW and GW I'm considering getting those as well..

Pretty exciting dude. Id go 5-PW and its been what Ive been considering but I do enjoy getting the AW in my sets too.

I haven't hit these... The look just isn't there for me. But performance out weighs looks for me

As for the stock CFS shaft, which I was hitting a stiff flex in, I though was a pretty decent shaft for my swing. Though the lightness of the shaft compared to most stiff flex shafts took a little getting use too. The Deep Reds have the fat shafts, which are far from light, so these were noticeably lighter to me. I no it's not an offering from Ping, but would really like to try these with the slightly heavier KBS tour shafts to see if there are any differences for me, other than the heavier weight.

Then finally, I'm not one who really understands a lot behind the who forged vs. cast irons war as my experience with forged irons are pretty limited, but I must say, the feel of these are unbelievable. When you consider the forgiveness and size (which is a perfect match between confidence and looking good to the eye), these are near the top for feel from everything I have hit for irons.

For those who have these, congrats on an amazing iron. Now I just need to rob a bank.

Ping has KBS shafts in their custom shaft selection.

Ping has KBS shafts in their custom shaft selection.

Yeah sorry, should have specified just off the shelf. I asked the guy last night and he was willing to set up everything from the Ping fitting cart, but I didn't want to pay the $45 and not actually be looking to buy.

I was just realizing that nearly half of the players left in the World Match Play are PING guys. Pretty good!

I was just realizing that nearly half of the players left in the World Match Play are PING guys. Pretty good!

Yeah PING is off to a great start this year.

Yeah PING is off to a great start this year.

Does this mean ping is turning the corner of 'boring blah' designs and clubs?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Does this mean ping is turning the corner of 'boring blah' designs and clubs?

Think these irons change that perception for sure. Maybe not the G20 driver but the i20 driver is badass looking too.

If you can find a place to hit them with the KBS Tour without cost I highly recommend it. I also liked the stock shaft in general, but they felt too light for me and i ended up with the 120g KBS Tour in stiff which were just right.

Yeah sorry, should have specified just off the shelf. I asked the guy last night and he was willing to set up everything from the Ping fitting cart, but I didn't want to pay the $45 and not actually be looking to buy.

Just curious if anyone that has put the I20's through their paces would say if they gravite toward the S56 range more or the I15's. My perfect dream set would be one that fits smack dab in the middle of the two models. I loved the S56's when I had a set but they were just a touch demanding on my off days at the lower end of the set.The look and feel were superb.I also really liked the insert/weight port design alot more than the on the S57 model. I also had the I15's and those were great as well....just a little put off buy the looks more than anything. I still prefer a ferrule on my irons when I look down at them and the CTP badge and offset sometimes looked a little clunky to me. Man did they feel nice and solid though.
The I20's are a huge step up in the looks department in my opinion. I have a set of I10's coming that I am going to mess around with so we'll see how that goes but man are those I20's throwing the MOJO my way big time !

Just curious if anyone that has put the I20's through their paces would say if they gravite toward the S56 range more or the I15's. My perfect dream set would be one that fits smack dab in the middle of the two models. I loved the S56's when I had a set but they were just a touch demanding on my off days at the lower end of the set.The look and feel were superb.I also really liked the insert/weight port design alot more than the on the S57 model. I also had the I15's and those were great as well....just a little put off buy the looks more than anything. I still prefer a ferrule on my irons when I look down at them and the CTP badge and offset sometimes looked a little clunky to me. Man did they feel nice and solid though.
The I20's are a huge step up in the looks department in my opinion. I have a set of I10's coming that I am going to mess around with so we'll see how that goes but man are those I20's throwing the MOJO my way big time !

These combine some characteristics of a few Ping irons. This is all IMO of course. I would say the feel is the best of any i series iron that I've ever hit. Plus the forgiveness of the i5. I would say feel of the S56(must be the stabilizer bars) and forgiveness of the i5's. It really is the best i series iron that I've hit.

Think these irons change that perception for sure. Maybe not the G20 driver but the i20 driver is badass looking too.

I think you may be right

Thanks for the response C-Lover. This sounds like it might be the Holy Grail of the I series. I guess we'll know for sure when all the people who have been standing firm with their I5's and poo pooing the I10 & I15 series start snatching up the I20's in droves. I haven't tried the I5's but man do people rave about them.

If you can find a place to hit them with the KBS Tour without cost I highly recommend it. I also liked the stock shaft in general, but they felt too light for me and i ended up with the 120g KBS Tour in stiff which were just right.

Thanks. I defiantly want to. My Buddy has applied for a assistant pro job at a course about 30 min. away and they do Ping fitting it I remember correctly, so might see if he can't maybe get me something to try out with them.

Back