Nike vs R9 vs R9 460

dazu44

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone tested these clubs against each other?
Any observations? Any thoughts? Was was your results?

Which Nike?

If you are referring to the Str8 Fit, it won our Huge Driver Shoot Out that had the R9 in it as well. The R9 460 was not released as of yet. We have since reviewed the 460 this week.

I've hit both the ST8-Fit and the R9 460, but not extensively. I really liked both of them. They were similar enough that I would suggest that you demo them yourself.

FWIW, they Nike had a slightly more muted feeling and sound. But both felt and hit great.

Nike STR8 vs TM R9

Nike STR8 vs TM R9

Thanks JB I remember reviewing that demo article but forgot the R9 was in there.
And you did do the review on the r9 460 how do you think it rates against the STR8? I'm heading to Golf Galaxy to demo both drivers this weekend.
I tried the 460 once before but was not happy with the sound which is odd for a TaylorMade club.
JT

To me the 460 sounds the same as the regular R9. I would say that they are all different. If you are a TM guy and like the look and feel of TM drivers, then the Nike STR8 will not work. It is different in look and feel.

R9

R9

Good point JB - and mostly everything in bag is TM except 3 wood and wedges so maybe the move is to measure the R9 against the R9 460.
As I get a little older I'm starting to see distance dropping a little and I still want to get it out there, so any advantage I can acquire is worth it.

The review we put up the day before yesterday compares the R9 to the R9 460

Re-read the article JB boy did I miss a few things, so much for speed reading.
But the second time through things that were mentioned hit home will definitely give this club a retry this weekend.
Thanks again JB keep up the great work.

Have a Nike Str8 Fit (hit it pretty well) but got the itch (thanks JB) and just received an R9 460 with a Matrix HD6...will let you know after extensive testing this weekend.

Out of the two of them, the Str8, is still in my bag. But both are very good drivers.

I had the R9 when it first came out and traded it for the Nike Str8tFit which I am much more confortabel with. I just wasnt that comfortable with the orgianal R9. I think some of it was the smaller head and the rest was just my game. The Nike has worked well for me and I have much more confidence on the tee box. The shots are straight as an arrow.

just a little testament to the r9, and this is just me, but listen to this. i carry a 907d2 9.5* with a stiff ysQ 63 shaft. I have an average driver swingspeed around 103 or so, sometimes maybe a little faster. i normally carry the ball about 270 and it rolls 10 yards or so. today i was hitting an r9 tp 9.5* with a stiff fubuki 73. well this is what happened. swingspeed around 105 mostly. carry average was 293 and total yardage was averaging around 305 or so. this club is going in the bag here shortly but in 8.5*. just my little r9 testament that the club really does work

This is good to know. I was thinking of the R9 but the R9 460 appears to fit an old man better. This is only for fun. My G10 will never be sold... :smile-big:

I have been using hte R9 460 for about a month now and really like it.

I was fitted for a Nike DYMO, a Callaway FT-9 Tour, R9 460, Standard R9, Nickent Evolver, Adams Speedline, Ping G10, Tour Authentic Diablo, Hibore, Titleist 907 and 909 and a couple of Cobras and a few others that did not make it far into the test. Anyway I could write a long detailed review, but I will hold off for now and tell you my results.

The TM R9 460, the DYMO, FT-9 Tour, and TA Diablo made it to the end. This past two days I removed another from the test. The TM Standard R9 has been removed. It lacked distance and direction over the others, in fact I think it may have stayed in too long just because of looks and probably should have been removed earlier.

To be honest the DYMO and Tour Authentic Diablo have been the best so far with the total package The TM460 is lacking in distance, forgiveness is pretty good, but the FT-9 is probably been the most forgiving, but I am having trouble getting maximized with it because of the center of Gravity. I am putting a non Tour Ft-9 in the testing once I can hand pick one without the closed face.

R9 460

R9 460

JB, you were right I went to Golf Galaxy with my R9 in tow, and hit it against the Str8 Nike and the R9 460. The Nike was straighter than the R9 but length was equal. I then hit the R9 460...... omg! it went a little right but the yardage was deeper about 8 to 10 yards and then after hitting it more it started going straight with the added yardage.
For now I'm keeping the R9 but will pick up the R9 460 and put it in the bag for awhile, what a surprise, orginally I didn't like the R9 460 but I was wrong.

Glad it worked out for you. We found the R9 460 to make up any distance that the R9 was losing for people and give the added forgiveness. The best part is, it is $100 cheaper. But those are just in our tests and it is different for each person. Your testing rang true with what we found.

I tried out Warbirdlovers R9 460 today & it felt real nice. Not sure where he had the head set at but it worked nicely. I love the sound of the TM drivers, they sound & feel better than the Callaway, even though the FT-i is working for me.

I will wait for the R10 or maybe the R9 460 quad limited, & then the regular R9's will drop in price. Scoop one up for $150 or so.

R9 460 Versus Nike Str8-fit

R9 460 Versus Nike Str8-fit

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your comments, it has been very helpful to read. I am narrowing down my new driver to the R9 460 and the Nike Str8-fit and was curious if anyone else had heard that the R9 460 has a slight built-in draw bias? I appreciate any feedback.

Steve

It is full adjustable so that is really not necesary. You can move the face anyway you like. Now they are the same price as well.

R9-460 vs Nike Str8-Fit Comparison

R9-460 vs Nike Str8-Fit Comparison

Over the past few weeks I have been searching for a new driver (currently play Nike Sasquatch 10.5/Stiff) and decided to compare the R9-460 and the Nike Str8-Fit. I also tried the Taylormade Burner and R9, but preferred the R9-460 and the Str8-Fit after a number of driving range sessions. Here are my impressions of the two clubs after a few weeks of hitting them at the range and on the course:

Nike Str8-Fit (10.5/Stiff Stock Shaft UST 69 Series): Let me first say that in buying a new driver the ability to change loft and lie of the club is not something that is important to me, I was looking primary at the ball trajectory, distance, feel, sound, and to some extent looks. This club had the best trajectory of any club I have tried, a mid-level flight that bored through the air. The club also seemed to have very little backspin, providing quite a bit of roll once it hit the ground. The club produced an incredibly straight ball flight when struck well, very little left and right movement. The club had very good distance, slightly longer than the R9-460. The club had a very solid feel, although it does produce a somewhat muted sound when hitting hit. My personal prefered would be for a little louder response when hitting the ball but it wasn't so bad to prevent me from buying the club. This club has a fantastic look, very compact for such a large head, and a nice half-circle shape on the back. My primary concern with this club is that it is not as forgiving as the R9-460 and that on poor hits the results were not nearly as good as the R9-460, but on good hits the results were better with this club.

R9-460 (10.5/Stiff Stock Shaft): The trajectory with this club is slightly higher than that of the Str8-Fit with a little more backspin and less roll. The club really launches the ball into the air very quickly with very little effort. The ball flight on this was more varied than the Str8-Fit, in my case I found it very easy to draw the ball, almost too much draw in some cases. The feel and sound of this club were excellent, in fact I preferred the feel and sound of this over that of the Str8-fit without a doubt. This club is more foregiving than the Str8-Fit and I think it responds better to a smoother slower swing that it does to an aggressive swing. This club looks and probably does have a smaller head than the Str8-Fit, this didn't bother me too much but I would say I prefer the look of the Str8-Fit.

My choice: I ended up buying the Nike Str8-Fit at a local store that offers a 30-Day Store Credit policy. I choose this club because of its superior length, more boring ball flight, and straightness of ball flight. My one lingering concern is that this club is not forgiving enough for my swing (9 Handicapp with 103-106 swing speed). The R9-460 was an excellent club as well and if the Nike doesn't work out over the next month I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the R9-460. One primary concern with the R9-460 was that it really preferred a slower smoother tempo and many times with my driver I really like to go after it and swing harder, which with this club produced too much of a hook. I would love to hear what other peoples experiences are in trying these two clubs.

Steve

Great little write up. Out of curiousity if you do not care for the adjustability, why did you go with two adjustable drivers? The DYMO is the str8 however non-adjustable. I am guessing that you prefer the face to be open and that is the reason, but I am curious.

JB,

Although the adjustability factor was not one of my priorities I was intrigued by the possiblilty of tweaking the club slightly. I do have is slightly open now and it produces a great ball flight. I am guessing that most major manufacturers will produce adjustable drivers now that TM and Nike have done so. I am curious if you had thoughts on the forgiveness factor of the Str8-Fit versus the R9-460? I am quite suprised with the lack of forgiveness in the Str8-Fit. I am guessing it relates to the differences (firmness) between the shafts of the two clubs.

Thanks again,

Steve

Back