Hearing Aids. Any THP'ers Use Them?

I played in a rock & roll band when I was younger and served in Vietnam as a M60 machine gunner in 1971, so take your pick. Damage from both probably huh?

yea ive been to more then my share of shows and stood right next to the walls of speakers lol

im sure you can attest that its liveable as long as there is ambient noise around you but when its sleep time it can be bothersome.

yea ive been to more then my share of shows and stood right next to the walls of speakers lol

im sure you can attest that its liveable as long as there is ambient noise around you but when its sleep time it can be bothersome.

Yep that's a fact. It's also a pain how certain foods or medicines can bring it on.

I too have tinnitus and its really beginning to wear on me. We use a fan or humidifier when we sleep otherwise it's awful. Background noise does help quite a bit for me. I think I have even lost some pitches because certain words I can't hardly hear. I worked in a metalworking factory to put myself through college and have done a great deal of competitive shooting and it's taken its toll. Can tinnitus be relieved with hearing aids? I have heard mixed reports on this. KCM

I played in a rock & roll band when I was younger and served in Vietnam as a M60 machine gunner in 1971, so take your pick. Damage from both probably huh?
My ears ring all the time too, and my time in the USMC and all the racket produced and was surrounded by didn't help either...not to mention all the rock concerts I attended. haha

I have trouble hear consonants. I try to read lips as well, as some of you have suggested, but when your facing away from the person it's difficult. :)

I have trouble hear consonants. I try to read lips as well, as some of you have suggested, but when your facing away from the person it's difficult. :)

And it's not that your trying to be rude when someone asks you a question and you can't quite hear them, anymore with cells phones and people looking like they are talking to themselves you have to wonder if they are asking you a question. Planes and trains are my cause of 50% hearing loss across the spectrum. Again good Luck Sean I would like to hear that this turns out good for you.

And it's not that your trying to be rude when someone asks you a question and you can't quite hear them, anymore with cells phones and people looking like they are talking to themselves you have to wonder if they are asking you a question. Planes and trains are my cause of 50% hearing loss across the spectrum. Again good Luck Sean I would like to hear that this turns out good for you.
I know what you mean about the rude part Shark, which is one of the reasons I'll probably get them. The downside is I'll no longer have an excuse when I tell my wife I didn't hear what she said/asked. lol

I've been putting this off for quite a while.. I had another hearing evaluation today and it's not good. Ugh.

Do any of you have hearing aids? If so, what kind?

Make sure you speak up if you reply to this post.

What do you want to know, I'm an Audiologist.

Redbird, thank you for chiming in. Can the tinnitus be lessened or relieved completely with hearing aids or are we just screwed? Any advice you can offer up would be greatly appreciated I'm sure. Thanks. KCM

I had hearing loss early in life and then at 35, after a brain tumor was removed, I lost significant more in my left ear. I scrimped and saved for a hearing aid and had it for almost 10 years, but once the warrenty was out and they wouldn't work on it again I've just been without ever since. I really need and miss having one.

Hearing aids are amazing for someone who has gone a while without. The first day wearing one I remember being startled by sounds like eating chips, car horns and door bells. It had just been too long since I heard such loud sounds. Peeing actually scared me, haha.

Redbird, thank you for chiming in. Can the tinnitus be lessened or relieved completely with hearing aids or are we just screwed? Any advice you can offer up would be greatly appreciated I'm sure. Thanks. KCM

Hearing aids can lessen the perception of the tinnitus only while you're wearing them. There is no cure for tinnitus because there are so many things that can cause it. Hearing loss (60% of the time), drugs, stress, anxiety, diabetes, cardiovascular disease to name a few. Unless someone walks in with a direct cause/effect relationship, "you put me on this medication (I'm a PA as well) and my ears started ringing." Then stop the medication and if the tinnitus stops then there's the culprit. The herbal stuff is BS. If the tinnitus is in one ear only then I would get checked by an ENT especially if it is accompanied by a hearing loss in the same ear and/or vertigo or disequilibrium.

Last edited:
I had hearing loss early in life and then at 35, after a brain tumor was removed, I lost significant more in my left ear. I scrimped and saved for a hearing aid and had it for almost 10 years, but once the warrenty was out and they wouldn't work on it again I've just been without ever since. I really need and miss having one.

Hearing aids are amazing for someone who has gone a while without. The first day wearing one I remember being startled by sounds like eating chips, car horns and door bells. It had just been too long since I heard such loud sounds. Peeing actually scared me, haha.

There are alot of aids out there that don't cost thousands. If you want some advise on which ones those are him me up. If you're really down I can see what I can do for you as far as pulling a few strings at a manufacturer.

What do you want to know, I'm an Audiologist.
That's kind of you Redbird. I'm meeting with the Audiologist next Thursday to get fitted. I only wore them for about a half-hour and they made a huge difference. Without them everything is so muted...no treble at all, if that makes any sense, and consonants are hard to distinguish. I'm not only getting them for me, but those who try to talk to me. I'm always asking people to repeat themselves. It has to get tiresome for them as well.

Back