Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
okay so a couple of weeks ago my dad lost his wedge at the local range, and he kind of needs it since it is a big part of your game.. since wedges are expensive, and we can't really afford golf as it is, i would like to get him two new wedges for a birthday/fathers day combo..

i'm pretty sure i wanna stick with either 55° or 56° and either 59° or 60°, but what club..?

i was thinking either TaylorMade's ATV wedge, because the new set of irons (RBZ's) he is getting has that technology, or the Titleist Vokey's..

COMMENTS AND OPINIONS PLEASE!

If budget is an issue, I would pick up a lightly used set or the Adams Tom Watson wedges.

If budget is an issue, I would pick up a lightly used set or the Adams Tom Watson wedges.

no i have money, and my grandma can chip in, but i just don't like to spend it because i don't have much money to waste.. but i'd gladly spend the money to buy these for him..

Nice thing about now is, there are a lot of new models this year from all the OEM's =
A lot of new 2010 / 2011 wedge deals out there.
I am sure your dad will be happy with your choice.

I wish picking a wedge were that simple. There is a lot more that goes in to you than just the loft you want. First ask the following questions:

1. What is the loft of his current PW & GW if he carries one. typically you don't want to go beyond 4 to 5 degrees between clubs.
2. What will he be using the wedges for. For instance, chipping, short pitch shots, green side bunkers, full wedge shots. I ask because I carry a GW, SW, and LW, but I typically only use my GW & SW for full shots and the LW for everything inside 100 yds.
3. You may want to know how far he was hitting his previous wedges, maybe he wants one with a stronger or weaker loft, especially if he does not carry a GW.
4. What kind of lies does your golf course have. Tight lies will require less bounce. Plush fairways may require more bounce. This can also depend on the type of swing your dad has. Is he a sweeper or someone who hits down on the ball?

Now on the type of wedges I would recommend, I play with Cleveland and Titleist Vokey wedges. For the most part, these are very comparable, but Cleveland offers more models (588, CG Black, CG 16, CG 15, CG 14, and NiBlick) and colors than titleist.

Everybody is overthinking this. Scor 56* or the Taylormade 56* ATV. No bounces to worry about. The 56 makes it a standard sand wedge. Both are very high quality products.

What did he lose? Brand? Loft? What's the RBZ set up going to be. Up to a PW?

Kevin

Check out last years Mizuno wedges! They spin the ball really well and come in different finishes. Also if your dad is playing a 2 wedge system you might wanna go 54/58 as it would fill in the gap from his PW to the next wedge better then a 56 would.

I am probably selling my vokey wedges here very soon if you are interested in a used set. I bought them back in May of last year (2011) so they are not very old. I have the 52, 56 and 60 degree. Let me know if interested and I'll get you a price.

What did he lose? Brand? Loft? What's the RBZ set up going to be. Up to a PW?

Kevin

I agree that knowing what wedges he was using would be helpful. Also, I think the CG15 can possibly be had for a good deal now.

I'm loving the ATV's since bounce is no issue with them

If his RBZ set stops at PW then consider a 50/56 setup for now or he'll have gapping issues. If he has an GW in the set then 54/58 would be good.

I agree with the earlier post saying get something w/ no set bounce. That's a big help unless you know the bounce he needs. CG16 can be had for a steal right now and are a good wedge.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

his RBZ goes up to sand wedge (but i think he would like to use the blade-type of wedge instead), but his old wedge(s) were cleveland 56 and 60s.. they were old wedges.. used them for every shot around the green and out to 80 or so yards.. heavy wedge user.. we play lots of courses, some have nice fairways and greens, others don't some have one or the other..

his RBZ goes up to sand wedge (but i think he would like to use the blade-type of wedge instead), but his old wedge(s) were cleveland 56 and 60s.. they were old wedges.. used them for every shot around the green and out to 80 or so yards.. heavy wedge user.. we play lots of courses, some have nice fairways and greens, others don't some have one or the other..

Sounds like you should get him a new pair of the wedges he was used to playing since he was such a heavy wedge user... Mixing sets isn't that big of a deal, unless you think he wouldn't want to do it. The familiarity of the "same club" would probably make it a steeper learning curve to get used to the new ones. Then there is the issue of ditching the RBZ 56 (sand wedge) or getting new wedges in 60 and 64 (though that would be a lot of wedges to carry... or just a 60 deg) Just my 2c.

Sounds like you should get him a new pair of the wedges he was used to playing since he was such a heavy wedge user... Mixing sets isn't that big of a deal, unless you think he wouldn't want to do it. The familiarity of the "same club" would probably make it a steeper learning curve to get used to the new ones. Then there is the issue of ditching the RBZ 56 (sand wedge) or getting new wedges in 60 and 64 (though that would be a lot of wedges to carry... or just a 60 deg) Just my 2c.

well i was thinking about getting a 56 and a 60, and just have him decide whether he wants to play the sand wedge or the 56 depending on when and where he plays..

My personal opinion dude, is if you are uncertain of what to buy, maybe you and you Dad go pick out what he wants together. I know, it takes the personal touch out of giving your Dad a nice gift, but if he really enjoys his golf and plays well, chances are, he is going to want to get what works for him, not what a bunch of guys on a forum recommended for him. These THP! guys know their stuff and I would trust them over just about any salesman in any stores, but without knowing what type of swing your Dad has, what type of turf he plays on, and what kind of shots your Dad likes to hit, we can throw out all the recommendations in the world, but your run the risk of getting something your Dad can't use to improve his game and enjoy. Which, could end up being your money down the drain.

But, if your mind has been made up that you want to buy him new wedges, I have always been a Cleveland guy myself. And I know a few others had some really nice wedges listed in the THP! Market Place. You could end up getting two wedges, in great shape, for the price of one. Just my two cents. Good luck man.

My personal opinion dude, is if you are uncertain of what to buy, maybe you and you Dad go pick out what he wants together. I know, it takes the personal touch out of giving your Dad a nice gift, but if he really enjoys his golf and plays well, chances are, he is going to want to get what works for him, not what a bunch of guys on a forum recommended for him. These THP! guys know their stuff and I would trust them over just about any salesman in any stores, but without knowing what type of swing your Dad has, what type of turf he plays on, and what kind of shots your Dad likes to hit, we can throw out all the recommendations in the world, but your run the risk of getting something your Dad can't use to improve his game and enjoy. Which, could end up being your money down the drain.

But, if your mind has been made up that you want to buy him new wedges, I have always been a Cleveland guy myself. And I know a few others had some really nice wedges listed in the THP! Market Place. You could end up getting two wedges, in great shape, for the price of one. Just my two cents. Good luck man.

yeah i know that if i buy a club for someone who is a golfer and has a set swing than i need to make sure it's what they need and want..

well i was thinking about getting a 56 and a 60, and just have him decide whether he wants to play the sand wedge or the 56 depending on when and where he plays..

Is the RBZ "sand wedge" not the standard 56 degree? I see online that sets come 4-AW and attack wedges are often around 50-52 (is this what you are referring to as sand wedge?) I personally like a 3 wedge system (52,56,60) in addition to PW, but it takes a while to feel comfortable and confident with how each is going to perform...
Any dad is gonna love that his son is thinking about him and that will go a long way to his enjoyment and use of whatever you get him...

Check out last years Mizuno wedges! They spin the ball really well and come in different finishes. Also if your dad is playing a 2 wedge system you might wanna go 54/58 as it would fill in the gap from his PW to the next wedge better then a 56 would.

>THIS<

yeah that's what i'm saying. i know he liked the blade style before he lost it, so i would like to assume he still does, over the regular style (like the RBZ's)

I would vote for the Vokey's between the two you asked about (ATV, Vokey). Vokey's have been and are some of the most popular wedges in the game for a long, long time. I can't speak to the ATV wedge at all since I've no used it.

So I see the Vokey's as the safest bet, and if they were not the exact loft/bounce combo he wants he can exchange them for a massive variety of combinations in the Vokey line up. I'm skeptical of the TM ATV's concept of uni-bounce the same as I am of uni-flex.

I'd check out Scorgolf if you can.

Try the xFT by Taylormade 89.99, and they have replacable faces.

Back