Practice net trouble

Sprinta

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a practice net near the end of last season to hit into when possible at home during the offseason and for those times I can't get to the club. Similar to this View attachment 3852
A warm day here in Ontario today cried for me to put it up and dust off the clubs and range balls. The net has a hanging target to hit into, I assume to absorb some of the ball's energy, so you don't put balls through the net.

Today I put two balls through the net itself and several through the target. I didn't have this issue last fall, so one of two things has happened. Maybe I was previously lucky, or maybe the fabric was still too cool today for the fabric/net to bend and not break from the force of the balls.

If you use a practice net what do you hit into to absord the ball energy?
Noise is also a factor. If I flush one into the target it sounds like a shotgun. I have a decent size yard, but my neighbours won't want to hear 100 of those at a time.

I bought a practice net near the end of last season to hit into when possible at home during the offseason and for those times I can't get to the club. Similar to this View attachment 3852
A warm day here in Ontario today cried for me to put it up and dust off the clubs and range balls. The net has a hanging target to hit into, I assume to absorb some of the ball's energy, so you don't put balls through the net.

Today I put two balls through the net itself and several through the target. I didn't have this issue last fall, so one of two things has happened. Maybe I was previously lucky, or maybe the fabric was still too cool today for the fabric/net to bend and not break from the force of the balls.

If you use a practice net what do you hit into to absord the ball energy?
Noise is also a factor. If I flush one into the target it sounds like a shotgun. I have a decent size yard, but my neighbours won't want to hear 100 of those at a time.

One thought I have to fix the noise issue would be to place a towel in front of the target.

Where did you have it stored? It could be weathered and could have made the material brittle.

Garage. Lots of other things in there that would be far more effected by climate.

thats the only thing that i can think of that would affect it like that. you would be suprised. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows a little more than i do.

Sell the net and go to the range. Your game will love you for it! :beauty:

Sell the net and go to the range. Your game will love you for it! :beauty:

chances are he doesn't have a year round driving range anywhere near where he lives.

He does live in Canada after all

The only thing i can think of is 1. you are bigger stonger and have a more efficent swing and are crushing the ball now or 2. the cold. as for the noise try putting a pillow and pillow case wraped over it.

chances are he doesn't have a year round driving range anywhere near where he lives.

He does live in Canada after all

My reply was posted with a bit of humor in mind. I live in a cold climate as well and my dislike of nets for golf is well documented here.

I too had the problem of shots sounding like a gun going off. My fix was getting the RopeIt which is an awesome tool for training at home. I actually did a testing for them, but you can find them on Facebook and they give them away often. Not sure how much they cost, but it can't be too much.

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ropeitgolf
Website - http://www.theropeit.com/

Back