Bridgestone 445 Demo vs Callaway Razr Fit Demo

Pkielwa

Reaction score
I post last week that Bridgestone was sending me a 445 demo after writing to them. Well, it showed up yesterday at my door so I took it out for a spin tonight at the range. When I got to our range, I saw they had just received their new Razr Fit demo. Seeing as how I ordered a Razr Fit after a fitting 2 Fridays ago, I was curious to test these two out side-by-side.

The 445 had the Project X 6.0 shaft, 9.5 deg. Razr Fit had the NV RIP'd stiff, 9.5 as well. The Razr was set in its neutral setting with 12g weight in the toe, 2 in the heel. Both had that great pear shape that is liked so much by the masses. At address, they both appeared pretty square. Both had versions of New Decade grips. Both were similar in perceived weight.

Once I warmed up, it was time. I swung the Razr Fit first and immediately flushed it dead center of the face. I had three of my range buddies there watching and they all made noises along the lines of "Woo-ooo" as the ball took off. Initial feel was that great Callaway Ft-Tour/Ft-9 composite feel with a little more oomph of the metal face mixed in. Launch got up quick and stayed there, flattening out nicely. It bounced three times with good roll. Landing just past the 250 flag, with about 20 yards of roll. I immediately turned around when it stopped and showed my buddies the ball mark 1/2 inch above the center of the face.

I switched to the Bridgestone right away. The launch was definitely more boring, and the feel/sound was more metallic, but very solid. The ball mark was about an inch above center. It landed just shy of the 250 flag and had two big flat bounces and roll. I hit three more and again, boring trajectory, great feel, DEAD STRAIGHT! I tried three more with the Razr Fit. All three were significantly higher launch (I was fit for an 8.5, same shaft). Again, just like the 445, dead straight. In all, neither club ever produced anything like a slice or hook. Both were VERY forgiving. My three buddies took turns hitting each as well. All three got the same flight patterns.

Overall consensus was that the Razr Fit was the preferred choice. The higher ball flight along with the feel/sound gave the impression that it was longer. Each of the three guys play stiff shafts- 2 TM (superfast 2.0, 9.5 deg, R11) 1 plays the Razr Tour 9.5.

There is no doubt that the Project X shaft in the Bridgestone lives up to its billing of low/mid launch low spin. Not one single drive I hit EVER ballooned. Not one ever strayed more than 10-15 yards right or left. Consistent ball flight, every time. Razr Fit wasn't offline either, the 9.5 did balloon on me three times, but, again, I was fit for the 8.5 with a different head/weight set-up.

All-in-all, you can't go wrong with either. If you're looking for a stock stiff shaft to bring down ball flight and give you added forgiveness, the 445 ought to find its way into your hands. If you want a little higher launch with a stock stiff shaft with great distance and feel, try a Razr Fit. They're not interchangeable- they're definitely different clubs, but take a look; you can't go wrong here!!!!

Thanks for the comparison!!! Which ones did you feel had better forgiviness off the heel or high on the face?

Thanks for the comparison!!! Which ones did you feel had better forgiviness off the heel or high on the face?
Funny, the second ball I hit with the Razr Fit was off the heel. It was 15 yards left of where I aimed but I swear it didn't lose much distance! My buddies asked if I hit it funny based off the sound, but they were amazed how far it went on a heel shot. Distance-wise, the Razr Fit seemed to keep the distances tighter on miss hits. I didn't hit any toe shots.

Nice write up, thanks for your thoughts....lots of Morgan Cuppers will be reading this I am sure

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like both drivers are worth a look on this experience!

I'm trying not to buy a driver this year, but I keep hearing good things about the Razr Fit in particular. Argh. Don't think I'll get the chance to hit the Bridgestone over here, but I'd like to.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like both drivers are worth a look on this experience!

I'm trying not to buy a driver this year, but I keep hearing good things about the Razr Fit in particular. Argh. Don't think I'll get the chance to hit the Bridgestone over here, but I'd like to.

If you find a Bridgestone ball fitting day somewhere you might find that they have their clubs with them. But it's hard to find a place to demo or get fit for them beside that... almost impossible i think.

If you find a Bridgestone ball fitting day somewhere you might find that they have their clubs with them. But it's hard to find a place to demo or get fit for them beside that... almost impossible i think.

I'd love to find a ball fitting anything near me. Sad story that, although I live in perhaps the most famous golfing nation in the world, we're way behind on equipment - especially the fitting side of things.

Thanks for writing up this comparison for us! Sounds like the 445 with that PX shaft truly is a low spin/launch combo and will perform as long as it is not too low. Seems like with that shaft, if you were going to game the 445, you would need either the 10.5 or a different shaft for optimal results.

I appreciate the real world feedback on this one!

Funny, the second ball I hit with the Razr Fit was off the heel. It was 15 yards left of where I aimed but I swear it didn't lose much distance! My buddies asked if I hit it funny based off the sound, but they were amazed how far it went on a heel shot. Distance-wise, the Razr Fit seemed to keep the distances tighter on miss hits. I didn't hit any toe shots.

Thanks Pk!!! I know the MC is coming up but I can't help but want this driver. Ill probably be picking your brain more omce I can wake up.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

Thanks for comparing the two. What is your swing speed and typical ball flight? You mentioned you were fit for an 8.5. After hitting the 9.5 do you like it better?

Thanks for writing up this comparison for us! Sounds like the 445 with that PX shaft truly is a low spin/launch combo and will perform as long as it is not too low. Seems like with that shaft, if you were going to game the 445, you would need either the 10.5 or a different shaft for optimal results.

I appreciate the real world feedback on this one!

Your ball flight is higher than mine and I hit this low/mid ball with the 445. I would think you would be mid in a 6.0 and mid/high with 5.5

Appreciate the thoughts! I have not yet hit either driver but I have heard so many great things about both of them I am really anxious to try them both. There are way too many clubs I wanna try, dumbest decision i ever made was not signing up for the THP Demo Day....

Thanks for comparing the two. What is your swing speed and typical ball flight? You mentioned you were fit for an 8.5. After hitting the 9.5 do you like it better?
At my Razr Fit fitting, I was 105-106, high ball flight normally...

I just want to add something to this, one reason you are seeing the low ball flight is because of the type of driver head more so than the PX shaft. The J40 driver is a deep face that is a very low spin head compared to the RAZR Fit driver. They are not really geared to do the same thing in their standard offering in terms of ball flight and ironically if you switched the shafts out of the two drivers, the J40 driver would still fly lower.

Great comparison P!

Still waiting for the Razr Fit to come in so I played 18 with the Bridgestone today. Consistently 275-280... Never really got on one at all. I usually have a 290-300 in there somewhere, but not today. Didn't help I was hitting a little high and towards the heel 1/4 inch area consistently on the face... I do like the trajectory though!

Back