Hitting my irons left.

Sanzabar

Oh So Colt!
Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short. I am a decent golfer, about at 15 handicap.

I have been striking the ball much better this year, but I am missing my irons left about 10 yards of the target. Its not a hook or anything of that sort. My ball flight is good, it just starts left and stays on a straight line left. I know a swing video would be ideal, but I didnt know if there were any quick things that I could check to see if that is the issue.

I have tried standing further away from the ball and didnt notice a difference. I know a big problem I have is trying to act like I am hitting the ball to right field so to speak.

Could that be the issue? Any quick drills to get this right?

Thanks for your question. Sounds like you are pulling the ball which usually leads to good contact but misses to the left. You are on track that you need to feel the "swing to right field" sensation to improve this. Be careful getting further from the ball, you always want your hands below your shoulders. Assuming the backswing is in good position, here are a couple of drills work on:
1. Take swings where you pause at the top and then just work the motion of your arms dropping vertically down. Like gravity is forcing them there. You should work on what this feels like and sense the club staying behind you as you do it.
2. Work on pointing the end of your grip to the horizon on the downswing. Right now with a pull shot it is likely pointed to the ground right away.
3. Stand a club length away from a wall or net. Manufacturer your top position and then practice slow swings down from the top and make sure to miss the wall. This will ensure you are coming from the inside and not casting the club.
4. On the range, set a driveway marker about fifteen feet in front of you on your intended line. From there still align to your target with your feet left of the driveway marker and your clubface directly at it. Now take swings and try to start it to the right of the marker. If you can do it, the club is traveling on an inside path.

Hope these help, good luck.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Josh, this "driveway marker" thing you speak of... is that for places that have white stuff (I think it's called "snow") fall out of the sky? Sounds interesting...

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC (70 degrees and sunny) Santa Barbara, CA

Back