Which flex would benefit me most with my irons?

More Gooder

Reaction score
I was told at Edwin Watts that my Swing speed is at the top of the rating for regular and bottom for stiff; would stiff flex be best and "grow into it" or should stay with regular. I have Burner 2.0s, if that matters, and I tend to hit them pretty high and left 75% of time. One of my friends has the 2.0s in stiff and wants regular so he wants to trade,

I've always heard if your close to both go with the regular but in your case you both could just try out each others clubs to see what works best for both of you and not have to spend money to do it. If it turns out however you and he both need stiff or both need regular than one of you guys is spending money to change shafts. Good luck with it.

I was always told that same thing, and looking back, I was probably a better candidate for R than I was told. I honestly think they threw in the 'borderline' thing so the 1) didn't have to commit 2) didn't offend me (not that I gave a crap). Still, I had stiff shafts during that entire time and it didn't seem to matter.

This is the Ask the Pro forum, please keep it clean until a Golftec pro respondes.

It's fun every now and then to "mod" a mod. :)

Oops sorry about posting I was looking at this on the phone and didn't see what section it was. Carry on now. Nothing to see here from me.

Great question. Do you know what the exact speed was and what club were you using? That would help make a better determination. However, without knowing those numbers, you could make a case that you do need stiff based upon the ball flight. The softer the shaft, the more the ball will tend to go left and high. As the club gets stiffer, the flight will lower and leak right. So based upon flight I would say stiff but would prefer to know the exact speed and club to give you a better recommendation. Reply back with those numbers and I will help as best I can.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

I was averaging 85-87 mph with the Burner 2.0 7 iron. I'm not consistent with my mechanics, but I played a round with my friend's stiff 2.0s today and didn't really notice a distinct improvement other than on par 3s when it's teed up.

Back