Worst range session ever

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Weeks and months of progress and work and hope gone in one fell swoop. Any semblance of physical skills gone. Steep swing plane, horrible take away, poor swing path, no turn, casting, too strong a right hand, coming over the top, standing too upright, standing too hunched over, dumb ass chicken winged follow through, ugly hooks and weak fades, hitting balls thin, chunking balls. I suck. Thank God Callaway has engineers that make hybrids so sophisticated even the likes of me can hit them, otherwise I am hopeless. Eff!

Wow, I have so been where you're at right now. Keep up the faith and keep at it. It WILL get better, maybe even by tomorrow.

What can we say? It happens...

I see you've met my friend Golf.

Indeed. I think I would have even screwed up a wet dream today. To paraphrase the movie title, There Will Be Wine (tonight) :)

Hate those days! It happens to all of us. A couple beers and a steak will fix ya right up.

tequila -- Golf is so fickle. Some days are so sweet and then you have those bummer days that make you say :wtf:. I had one of those bummer days last week with two of my THP friends on my home course. I could not hit the ball to save my life:banghead:. Every shot I hit was a pure topper. Every worm in Jones County had a hard hat on for fear of its life:bulgy-eyes:. Thank Gawd I did found a cure on YouTube as there were several great videos on how to fix my golf related illness. Golf is soooooo much fun when things are going smooth but oh so crappy when the shat hits the fan :at-wits-end:. Just know it happens to all of us and even the greatest players on the planet have it happen. Good old Tigger Woods will tell ya that. Its been how long since he won an official PGA Tour event? Just don't hang your head too low as sure enough the good stuff will come back. You do have to look hard enough to find out what the culprit was however sure enough there is a cure :thumb:

Hang in there tequila, as you have read from the other posts, we have all been there. You just have to plug through it and this silly game will become enjoyable again soon. Please do think that this will be the last time the game just seems to completely go away as I can guarantee that it will happen again. Hang in there buddy.

Everyone has been there, I have been hitting my irons real well so far in this season, which was a continuation from last season. The last few holes I played the other day I couldn't even hit the ball off the ground. Take a day or two off and don't think about, try to find some sort of quick drill that can put you back in the right spot and most importantly dont worry about it...if you could do it before, you can do it again.

I feel ya bud. My game goes a little something like this... A month of pure ball striking followed by a couple weeks of $H!?. Mix it all together and repeat.

Golf is a game of valleys and plateaus. Right now your walking through the valley of the shadow of shanks. But you shall fear no slices for you can always purchase lessons.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

The weather in PA is starting to break a little bit and I got out to the range for the first time since November. I would say out of my entire large bucket I hit about 8 quality golf shots. I would hit a shot fat, then hit one thin. Next week I am going to give my instructor a call and have him help me out and get my swing on video again. It's amazing how many flaws in your swing you can find watching the video. That way you have an idea of what drills you need to do during your range session to work out the kinks.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the good mojo.

Duffer - I am in the middle of a lesson series. In 3 lessons I had eliminated my hook by incorporating some swing changes, worked my way through my bag and was getting close to being 'set' but for more practice with the driver. I have been striking the ball really well - to the point where my instructor said no more range sessions, no need to deal with technical lessons, we were moving to playing lessons. Then this happens. I really thought I had turned a corner, but I guess not. I'll be okay, I think it was mostly the crazy single day dive off a cliff vs. where I had been that got under my skin. In retrospect, I haven't had time to do my drills this week. It would have been great if I had the muscle memory to be able to take a week off but obviously I'm not that skilled. So I'll do the drills for the next couple of days then get back out there and pound some balls.

sorry to hear you had one of those days. it does happen from time to time. take a bit of time off step back and relax. when you get out again go through your routine and get your head right. make sure not to over do the drills in response to this bad day, it could lead to a whole different set of issues. give yourself time to work back into your normal routine and don't over think your swing.

At least you know what you were doing wrong. I feel ya though I think we all have days like that once in a while I'm sure next time you will be back to where you want to be. have a beer and forget about it.

The weather in PA is starting to break a little bit and I got out to the range for the first time since November. I would say out of my entire large bucket I hit about 8 quality golf shots. I would hit a shot fat, then hit one thin. Next week I am going to give my instructor a call and have him help me out and get my swing on video again. It's amazing how many flaws in your swing you can find watching the video. That way you have an idea of what drills you need to do during your range session to work out the kinks.

Where in the valley do you play? I didn't play center valley too often, but I was sad to go.

I think one of the marks of a good golfer is the ability to work through the ups and downs. What is the saying? Its not how you handle the good times but the bad?

Take the change from your left pocket and put it in your right. Turn your hat backward and put a tee behind you right ear..... It will get better, we have all been there
Weeks and months of progress and work and hope gone in one fell swoop. Any semblance of physical skills gone. Steep swing plane, horrible take away, poor swing path, no turn, casting, too strong a right hand, coming over the top, standing too upright, standing too hunched over, dumb ass chicken winged follow through, ugly hooks and weak fades, hitting balls thin, chunking balls. I suck. Thank God Callaway has engineers that make hybrids so sophisticated even the likes of me can hit them, otherwise I am hopeless. Eff!

I took your collective advice, except for the part about staying away for a few days. I couldn't resist the temptation to try again this morning. If yesterday was a 0 in terms of ball striking, this morning was 7. Maybe a bit better than that. This is a crazy freekin' game.

Where in the valley do you play? I didn't play center valley too often, but I was sad to go.

I think one of the marks of a good golfer is the ability to work through the ups and downs. What is the saying? Its not how you handle the good times but the bad?

I used to play Center Valley a lot actually and am very sad it is gone. In fact my instructor was the head pro there. He is now the pro at Golf Galaxy on Airport Road. I would go there on many weeknights after work. After 6PM it was only $16 for as many holes you could play till dark. I also play at Wedgewood a lot because it is really close to my house but I play all over the valley and don't belong to any one club.

Everyone, even tour pros have their ups and downs. Put today's session out of your mind, move on and stick with it. It will get better.

Back