drills to help with driver

trae*

no post ***** aka"active"
Reaction score
Handicap
so all of the sudden i cant stop hooking my driver. typically i was a straight ball or slight draw hitter. now its nothing but hooks low hooks usually.

i have a feeling its upper body rotation issues or im flipping at impact or a combo of both . i have the supertri so ive set to right and all that jazz and still smoke it left.

any drills to help get me back in the fairway?

I've been having the same problem. I used to be pretty confident with my driver but now all of a sudden I've got all sorts of hell going on.

Last round I made an effort to slow my whole swing down, with good results.

I didn't lose any distance, so maybe I was getting over-confident and trying to smoke every drive.

Oz this is the Ask the pro section where Golftec kindly answer questions for members. These thread are left alone for Golftec to answer members question. Oh and welcome to THP :D

I've been having the same problem. I used to be pretty confident with my driver but now all of a sudden I've got all sorts of hell going on.

Last round I made an effort to slow my whole swing down, with good results.

I didn't lose any distance, so maybe I was getting over-confident and trying to smoke every drive.

Trae,

That is one broad question but I will do my best without seeing your mechanics. The first thing I would say is get some face tape for the Driver so that you can determine where you are hitting it on the face. You could be severely in the toe or heel which both can be potential for low screaming hooks. If you feel that it is an upper body rotation or flipping issue with center contact than there are a couple of things you can look for. The first would be addressing the upper body rotation. Check to make sure that you have completed a full rotation of 90 degrees. You can lay a club across your shoulders at set up and then turn to the top seeing the club run parallel to your right foot. From there you want to make sure that the hips start the downswing. The second thing would be to calm down the amount of face rotation/rolling of the forearms through impact. You want to make sure that the glove label on your left hand stays towards the target as long as possible. Think Byron Nelson and how he kept the club pointing to the target as long as possible through impact. Both of these should help relieve the hooks but make sure you check where your contact is first.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

Back