How often do you use your 3 wood?

Generally once or twice a round.

It depends on the course and conditions. There are rounds where I will use it a lot and then others where it never leaves the bag.
But...I don't think I would ever remove it from the arsenal.

On my homecourse I use it more often then the driver. It's a 4wood, but probably still counts ;)

Hole1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18
Driver: 6, 12

But my homecourse is short and very narrow. :)

Typically I would use my 3W more often than my driver, especially teeing off on narrow fairways and off the deck on par 5's.

I would say probably twice off the tee in a given round, and maybe once or twice off the fairway. Not all that much.

My go to club for tight fairway tee shots is my 18° hybrid - I've put a lot of work into that club & it's my confidence club (210, right down the pipe)

I seldom hit it off the deck. Mainly just to tee off. Typically, at my home course, I hit it off the tee on 4, 5, 9, 11, sometimes 14 and 15. I've hit it a few times on 16 but usually just hit driver and go for the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that I use mine about 5 times a round now. I've been working on my course management with my instructor and we've basically come up with a rule that I'm hitting 3w off the tee any time driver would putt me under 110 to the center of the green. There have been a lot of 3 woods off the tee on par 4's lately and a lot more FIR and GIR as a result. There's been a handful of times I've hit it off the deck, but it's only been when I absolutely needed to get onto the green after a bad tee shot, or a par 5 in my scotch game.

Depends on how tight the course is. If fairly tight 5-7 times... If not usually 4 or so

I use my 3 wood off the tee in place of my driver in many cases. I'm shorter, but more accurate with the 3 wood. I'd rather be many yards back in the fairway than forward and in the rough.

I don't use a 3 wood however my recent purchase of a Adams Tight Lie 4 wood has been a game changer for me. I use it off the tee and on approach shots on par fives. Instead of hitting wedges on par fives for approach shots, I am now chipping either in front, beside or from behind the greens.

I use my Callaway 815 15* 3w at least seven times every round. Tee shots on #6 and #15, and off the ground on the 5 par 5s. I find it easy to flight and hit it pretty straight. Love this club.

Rarely. Like once every 3 rounds. I only use it from the tee, never from the deck. It's not more accurate than my driver, so if I need something in the 210-240 range, I often hit my 3h or a low, stinger-like drive.

As soon as I've had the chance to test a driving iron like the TM TP UDI or Callaway Apex, I'll probably get rid of it.

I carry one, but I never really hit it. I should probably drop it but I don't know what else to add. I hit my 3H about 225-240, so that is plenty to get me by on some of the tighter par 4s. My wedges are currently set @ 48, 50, 56, 60 so there aren't big gaps there to add another wedge...

at the course i play most of golf, i'll hit my 3w about 7 times, 2 of which would be 2nd shots on par 5s and the other 5 times would be tee shots on tight holes. well-struck shots will be 220-230, sometimes as much as 240. 4h is 205-215 off the tee, so it's a good gapping.

On my home course I could use it on every hole (apart from the par 3s obviously) and seeing as I hit it almost as far as my usual playing partners hit their driver it makes a lot of sense as I am normally very straight with it

On courses I don't know I will try to play to what I can see so it could be a couple of times or a lot depending on the course

How often do you use your 3 wood?

Hopefully my 3 wood use will increase now, as I was doing pretty well with it during my lesson today.

Last edited:
Not very often. Maybe once a round or even once every other round.

One to four times per round. One or two off the deck and as many as three off the tee.

I use my three wood anywhere from two to five times during a normal round, usually two or three times off the tee and then on a couple of par fives.

yeah use the 3-wood about 3 times per round off the tee on tight doglegs, rarely off the fairway as I'll give up distance for more accuracy with a 5w/4h

On average I would say I use it maybe 4 to 5 times around. Whether it's off the tee on a short par four or from the fairway or rough. Just really depends on the course more often than not, but I don't think I've used it more than 5 to 7 times on the high-end during the course of a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 or 3 times in a round, trying to force myself to use it more often to get over the mental block I have with the club. Just can't seem to give up on it.

It depends on the course for me. At my home track, there are two par fives where I always use it unless the lie doesn't allow on my 2nd shot, and generally use it on all four par fives for a second shot. I'll also use if I pop one up off the tee and land it in the fairway 210+ out. I have a deep faced 5W that I'll use off the tee for short par 4's, so it doesn't get much run there. I was fit for it last fall and have become very comfortable with it, and when I am swinging well it really helps my game. It's critical for me when playing anything longer than 6500 yards, which I don't do often.

Rarely use a 3w. Used to off the tee box when I wasnt confident in my driver or just wanted a different flight to suit the hole, now I use a mini driver and am much more consistent with it. I rarely hit the 3w from the deck on a par 5 mainly because of lack of control and inability to stop it on green, so I'm better off hitting driver, 5 and then pw or wedge depending on whats left and it results in better score rather than blasting a cutting 3w etc.

Back