Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

My first rule is president would be to outlaw open toed shoes for men.
I pretty much live in flip flops when I'm not working, golfing, or playing a sport, so I'm guessing I'm not making a spot in your cabinet :alien:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I like to wear my flip flops when I get my Taco Bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was more concerned that those were the only options in your town. I was going to send you some nicer shoes perhaps. But I would fear the PM train, as I am already somehow involved in it now.

I prefer the conversation online.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I was more concerned that those were the only options in your town. I was going to send you some nicer shoes perhaps. But I would fear the PM train, as I am already somehow involved in it now.

Dude!!:laughing:

how can you say that living in Florida?! it's too d@mn hot to NOT let those dogs breathe. if you did that as president, we'd secede.

I wouldn't try seceding. My state's been there, don't that, and got the t shirt. Didn't turn out so well for them.

What are these "shoe options" you speak of? People actually own more than one pair? We just share a pair of boots with whoever has to go to town that day.

Im still concerned that Don is hiding in a fetal position trying over and over again to delete his THP account and having nightmares of his email sound on his phone going off saying Chumphries...Chrumphies...Chrumphies...Chrumphies : )

Im still concerned that Don is hiding in a fetal position trying over and over again to delete his THP account and having nightmares of his email sound on his phone going off saying Chumphries...Chrumphies...Chrumphies...Chrumphies : )

Poor Don
Can-I-get-caller-ID-for-the-voices-in-my-head2.jpg

Congrats CHumpries, it didn't even take 24 hours for someone to say something more misguided than your Taco Bell/Ruths comparison.

Don Wilkes Booth

Careful what you wish for...

Went to the range today. Only hit 7 drives with the baseline shaft but all were crushed. Straight with a mid ball flight. Figured didn't need to see anymore and went back to working on some other clubs. Here's a picture of my impact tape.
d40dbc7d10b95a855381629c39583a89.jpg

Went to the range today. Only hit 7 drives with the baseline shaft but all were crushed. Straight with a mid ball flight. Figured didn't need to see anymore and went back to working on some other clubs. Here's a picture of my impact tape.
d40dbc7d10b95a855381629c39583a89.jpg
That's just striped! I think you are set!

Currently writing up my experience on Trackman from earlier in the week but I have to say, reading through this thread is hilarious. No doubt we're gonna have a blast in SD this upcoming week!!!

Currently writing up my experience on Trackman from earlier in the week but I have to say, reading through this thread is hilarious. No doubt we're gonna have a blast in SD this upcoming week!!!
Absolutely, can't believe it's so close!!

And I will be bringing my flip flops just for JB :act-up:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On Wednesday, August 12th I went for a "Driver Fitting." Went to an outdoor facility in Connecticut and spent an hour hitting my driver on a Trackman. I arrived and met the fitter at the front desk. I told him all about the #HandCraftedExperience and how I'd be going out to San Diego to make my own shaft. Showed him the baseline shaft and talked to him how I had no idea what the specs of the shaft were. He was really interested in the entire experience. I told him I just wanted to compare 3 shafts; The baseline shaft, Project X LZ and Miyazaki B. Asha 4S.

Went over to the area where the Trackman was. Warmed up with some wedges they had lying around (didn't bring any other club with me). After about 10-15 wedges I was ready to go. During the 1 hour I spent on the Trackman I alternated shafts. I would say I brought my C+/B- swing (wasn't terrible but not my best). The order I hit the shafts were...
1) Baseline Shaft
2) Project X LZ
3) B. Asha
4) Baseline Shaft
5) Project X LZ
6) Baseline Shaft

I wasn't getting the numbers with the Miyazaki that I got from the other 2 so I opted to have those shots cleared. Additionally, I asked the fitter to clear any "Big Misses." I had a topped shot, one where I hit way behind the ball and any huge slices or real bad low, pull hooks were erased. However, all other misses were included as I thought that was an important part of the data (I definitely miss plenty on the course). I just didn't want any BIG misses skewing the data.

* I should note that after the second time hitting the LZ (5th shaft hit) the fitter could tell my last 2-3 swings I was getting tired. He stopped me and sent my data to Trackman at that point. I guess it goes through Trackman first then it will be sent to my email. I did hit the baseline shaft one more time (6th shaft hit) and it did affect my numbers. Prior to these last 15-20 swings the baseline shaft was 6 yards further than the LZ and the spin numbers were down. However, I wanted some swings in when I was tired as it simulated how I can feel on the last few holes after walking all day. Below are my Trackman numbers. The first one is "Project X LZ" and the second one is "Project X" which is the baseline shaft.

Breaking down the numbers...

Club Speed:
Project X LZ- 94.2
Project X Baseline- 94.1
Obviously very close. Project X LZ as .1 mph faster. The LZ got some extra speed from the weight (I'll touch on this more but I'm pretty sure it's 6-10 grams lighter. The baseline shaft cancelled out the weight with a little extra length. Winner: Push

Ball Speed:
Project X LZ- 140.7
Project X Baseline- 140.8
Again, virtually no difference. Winner: Push

Smash Factor:
Project X LZ- 1.49
Project X Baseline- 1.50
Finding the center of the face on both. Solid smash factor with both shafts. Again, virtually no difference between the 2 shafts. Winner: Push

Launch Angle:
Project X LZ- 14.5*
Project X Baseline- 14.6*
See a trend developing? Happy with this launch angle. Winner: Push

Spin Rate:
Project X LZ- 2216 rpm
Project X Baseline- 2225 rpm
For an hour of hitting, I'd say we're pretty much identical again. The spin was in the 2100 rpm range for the baseline shaf before my 6th round where I had some tired swing which did add some spin. Still, no difference again. Winner: Push

Carry Distance:
Project X LZ- 230.8 yards
Project X Baseline- 230.8 yards
I'd say they were pretty close with carry distance, haha. Winner: Push

Total Distance:
Project X LZ- 257.4 yards
Project X Baseline- 257.2 yards
What a surprise, almost identical again. I will say prior to my last go with the baseline shaft, the baseline shaft was about 5 yards longer total distance. If I get the numbers from Trackman before the event I'll post them. But, just like every other category... Winner: Push

Height:Project X LZ- 82.8 ft
Project X Baseline- 84.1 ft
I don't know which one is better, they both had a mid ball flight. The baseline numbers were lower before my last go around when I had some push fades that tend to go a little higher than usual for me. Winner: Push

Side Total:Project X LZ- 21.5 yards right
Project X Baseline- 17.3 yards right
I didn't have my best accuracy day. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I went left. It was either straight or right. I will also say the baseline shaft had the fewest shots cleared due to a big miss. Still, I have days on the course where I wear out the right side of the course. The baseline averaged 4.2 yards more to the center even with the last round where I had more pushes than usual. I've also seen this on the course and range where the baseline shaft does tend to go a little straighter than the LZ did. Winner: Baseline Shaft

Overall:
I learned so much from my experience on Trackman. The fitter said that if he were doing a fitting with me he probably would of ultimately fit me into a PX Handcrafted. I also sent my numbers to a friend who is an Assistant Pro and his club uses Trackman. He also said I'm really maxing out my numbers and that these Project X shafts really fit my game. Additionally, I remember reading Callaway's release this week for the Great Big Bertha. Callaway says with their new driver they are aiming for 14* launch, 2400 rpm spin, 1.50 smash factor and 0 rpm side spin. Other than the side spin I'd say I'm right in what Callaway deems ideal range.

With the benefit of having Trackman track my shots I was able to focus on feel. I still really couldn't feel where it was loading. I can say the baseline shaft felt 6-10 grams heavier than the LZ. Ultimately I think I want something right in between the 2 in terms of weight. Additionally, I think the torque may be a little higher on the baseline and having something right in the middle is again probably ideal. As for length, I think I'm going to stick with the length of the baseline shaft. I don't have any issues finding the center and it does give me a little extra club speed.

At the end, I really found the entire experience to be very beneficial. It gave me a lot of great information I didn't have prior. I had always hit on juiced up monitors and this was the first time I had the opportunity to hit on a real monitor. I was pretty consistent throughout my hour on the monitor until the end so it gave me some good comparison numbers. Obviously the difference between the 2 shafts was virtually nothing. I know in my first post after hitting the baseline shaft I said...
"Honestly, coming from the PX LZ the transition to this shaft was very easy. The 2 clubs feel and perform VERY similar. I wouldn't be surprised of the weight, torque and loading zone all extremely close to the LZ. I had a difficult time feeling where the loading zone was on this shaft but I also have a similar experience with the LZ." I'd say the numbers really back up my initial observations from my first range session. I really think the numbers I saw from this session are very representative of what I've seen on the course. I'm really excited about this entire experience and hope these numbers can help in some way fine tune the shaft. I don't know how to really analyze numbers but I can say these Project X shafts with their loading zone really caters to my swing perfectly. Project X really has an incredible shaft in the Handcrafted shafts and can't wait to make my own this week!

Stan, which flex in the LZ were you hitting with? I ask because I played the LZ prior to the test shaft too. Really good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Stan, which flex in the LZ were you hitting with? I ask because I played the LZ prior to the test shaft too. Really good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Stock shaft for Callaway XR driver, stiff flex.

Nice write up STC. I really wanted to hit the range this weekend for one more go through but had to watch the kids due to a sick wifey. Guess I'll just get some extra range time at Torrey Wednesday :)

6.0, 56 grams, 4.8* torque, LZ 16. Callaway lists it as stiff flex.

I've been playing LZ stock in 5.5. Callaway calls that regular but I think Project X calls it stiff. I'm curious to find out if our test shafts were matched to the flex we played previously or if they are all the same flex.

Played today for my last round with the test shaft in Georgia. Will get one more test round in on Wednesday before the event starts.

Hit Driver on all non-par 3's today, so 14 holes. Hit 12 of 14 fairways. All of the drives were playable. I liked the shot shape just fine on most of them. A few were wonky, and by that I mean low. A "me" problem for sure. My golf swing is just not great right now. So I guess, the positive spin is that 12 fairway hit with a poor swing are pretty darn good!

Shot shapes:
Mid height Draw - 8
Low height Draw - 3
Low height straight - 3

My poor swing right now is producing these low shots, but the forgiveness of the head and shaft are keeping them in play.

Distance seemed a bit shorter today, but again, not the best driver swing day so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Nice write up STC. I really wanted to hit the range this weekend for one more go through but had to watch the kids due to a sick wifey. Guess I'll just get some extra range time at Torrey Wednesday :)

Just reminder, Torrey uses Limited Flight golf balls on the range.

Back