You'll be in our thoughts and prayers, Hoosier, that all turns out well on the first. Keep positive thoughts brother.

Cancer certainly does suck and I think all of us have or will be touched by it. I lost my mom to a rare form of intestinal cancer when she was only 69. I never thought my dad being 7 years older than my mom would have spent decades without her after a 50 year marriage but it has been 10 years now. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

December 19th my 8 year old was diagnosed with leukemia. Without a long post, he is my hero! We have been living at childrens in new Orleans since December. We just got word tuesday that he is in full remission. While we are not out of the woods yet, we can see the light in the clearing. My life, especially attitude, have been changed forever!
Everyone that is or knows someone all i can say is stay strong and be positive.

December 19th my 8 year old was diagnosed with leukemia. Without a long post, he is my hero! We have been living at childrens in new Orleans since December. We just got word tuesday that he is in full remission. While we are not out of the woods yet, we can see the light in the clearing. My life, especially attitude, have been changed forever!
I'm so sorry man. It kills me to see children sick especially with cancer. I am happy he seems to be making progress. Just try to stay positive. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry man. It kills me to see children sick especially with cancer. I am happy he seems to be making progress. Just try to stay positive. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you so much. Our faith, family and community have been instrumental during this journey. And my son is a huge #teamharry fan! We read the different thp event threads almost daily and have a few laughs.

I doubt I could handle a child go through that, glad to hear remission.

I had my testing done yesterday and the result was that there is NO cancer in my bladder. Great news. I still have stone issues, but I can deal with that. Pretty sore today. Getting bladder scoped is not fun.

That's great to read. Good luck with the stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:banana: Very nice Hoosier!!!!!

Congrats on the no C - great result!

I had my testing done yesterday and the result was that there is NO cancer in my bladder. Great news. I still have stone issues, but I can deal with that. Pretty sore today. Getting bladder scoped is not fun.

Congrats!!!

I know how the scope goes ...

Awesome news, but do stay vigilant.

Going with my wife in about 2 hours to confirm biopsy results of advanced breast cancer. Then on to an oncologist to see if there are treatment options for her. Enjoy everyday.....

Going with my wife in about 2 hours to confirm biopsy results of advanced breast cancer. Then on to an oncologist to see if there are treatment options for her. Enjoy everyday.....
Stay strong. I know it's easier said than done, but she needs you now more than ever. One thing I learned with my son having leukemia is that the doctors don't always know. They said his treatment would last a minimum of 12-14 months. He finished in just under 5. The power of prayer and a positive attitude work wonders! You guys can and will get through this together.

so sorry to hear this. thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

Best wishes !!

Very sorry to hear this. All you both can do is stay positive.

Saturday the 6th was our local Relay for Life event. My wife's 5th anniversary of being cancer-free was this past May. Ever since she was diagnosed she has put her heart and soul into these events, organizing, fundraising, talking to and supporting people who have been newly diagnosed, basically anything and everything. Our county is small and is reflected in the size of the event which had 8 fundraising teams total. "Small but mighty" is the motto they have taken on, with the 8 teams raising nearly $60K for this event.

Here are the participants mustering for the opening ceremony and remarks:

WP_20150606_001_zpsec2pragl.jpg

This year's theme for the event was "Closing the book on cancer." The relay teams were encourage to decorate their setups with a book-theme. Our team chose the Lorax:

WP_20150606_005_zps3iwcbg0v.jpg

Another team chose Willy Wonka:

WP_20150606_011_zpsgfrp5lb7.jpg

Here's The Little Engine that Could:

WP_20150606_012_zpsbvj3ejuv.jpg

You're never too young to fight for a cause (Don't mind my daughter on the right, she only does that when her father is taking her picture):

WP_20150606_006_zps1eivvbsh.jpg
:

The first lap of the relay is the survivors lap. All cancer survivors in attendance kick off the event with this lap. Their names are read and they assemble to carry the banner. As an aside, the idea of the Relay event is for each team to have someone on the track following the survivor lap until the relay closes the following morning:

WP_20150606_002_zpspscwfndl.jpg

Paying homage to the title of this thread. This pretty much sums it up:

WP_20150606_007_zps6bbhkpz6.jpg

As darkness falls the mood of the event turns somber as the Luminary ceremony is conducted. Luminaries are candles lighted and placed in a paper bag with the name of a person who has been affected by cancer. The luminary lap is pretty much silent:

WP_20150606_014_zpskn4bfxci.jpg

The luminaries surround the entire track and give perspective to how far and wide this disease reaches:

WP_20150606_017_zps3jwmlcq6.jpg

This pic might be a little blurry because the screen certainly was. A slideshow to honor those fighting, and to remember those who lost the fight:

WP_20150606_019_zpsvk1zkrpm.jpg

Once the luminary ceremony is conducted, the kids in attendance are treated to a movie in the center as the relay teams knock out the miles on the track. One lady who attends each year walks 75 laps, one for each year her dad lived before losing his battle.

The morning after. Like any gathering of friends the worst part of things is tearing down and cleaning up:

WP_20150607_001_zpsmbbmowwa.jpg

The boy crashed hard in Grandpa's truck:

WP_20150607_002_zpswyltvslc.jpg

I greatly encourage anyone who has been or has had a loved one diagnosed to seek out a relay organization. They can help with answering questions about what to expect, recommend physicians in the area, and provide information about support programs from the American Cancer Society which include everything from referrals to assistance with travel and lodging for patients who must travel to reach appointments.

My mom is at the hospital right now for her scheduled procedure to remove her extremely early stage breast cancer. We are extremely lucky that they caught is so early and my mom chose the surgery option to complete remove it from here rather than role the dice with radiation therapy.

My mom is at the hospital right now for her scheduled procedure to remove her extremely early stage breast cancer. We are extremely lucky that they caught is so early and my mom chose the surgery option to complete remove it from here rather than role the dice with radiation therapy.

Wish your mom the best and a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Relay for Life. During my moms 7 year battle with cancer I attended several of these events with her and met/saw amazing people. Three years ago this July 11th my mom lost her battle. Four days later I attended our Local Relay. Seeing my mom in the slideshow honoring those who had died was one of the hardest moments of my life. The beauty of it though was many people who knew her through the Relay did not know she passed. Many came up to my family and gave their condolences. It was very therapeutic. This organization will always have a special place in my heart.

All the best to your mom and hoping all goes well.

I greatly encourage anyone who has been or has had a loved one diagnosed to seek out a relay organization. They can help with answering questions about what to expect, recommend physicians in the area, and provide information about support programs from the American Cancer Society which include everything from referrals to assistance with travel and lodging for patients who must travel to reach appointments.

I second this! I did Relay 3 times in college and it was a great, humbling, rewarding experience each time.

Cancer sucks! My Dad who is 81 found out last week he had colon cancer. He has been in the hospital for a week getting his blood counts correct to have surgery. He had the surgery today. It was suppose to happen at 12:00 so me and my family arrived at 11am. Long story short, they did not get him in until 5pm. Surgery took two hours and they removed 14 inches of his colon. We waited another 2 hours for him to return to his room, but he was still pretty well out of it and could just open his eyes a little and lift his hand. Very high risk. 40% of his heart is damaged, so they told him and all of us that there was a 40% chance he would not wake up, but he did.

Just got home at 10pm. Big risk now is bleeding for the next few days. Cancer sucks and needs its ass kicked!

Back