BIG CANYON Country Club - Newport Beach, CA

Trojans73

Reaction score
Handicap
I was truly 'fortunate' to play BIG CANYON last week. In the first week of March this course was in better shape than almost any other course in Southern California. But, with a $200,000+ Membership Fee...it's easy to see why. This is probably the most exclusive course in Orange County (they do have a reciprocal with Shady Canyon).

The course is laid out as a 'classic style' ...tree lined with old trees ranging from eucalyptus trees to pines to shrubs with some running water streams and ponds throughout. The houses are far enough off the course that you don't need to worry about hitting a $10 Million home and having to pay to get a window fixed. :)

For March...I was shocked to see the Bermuda fairways in such good shape. The greens were simply ridiculously fast. (They were probably a 12.5 - possibly a 13). The greens did hold every shot (and backing up the ball was common). But, putting was extremely difficult if you were above the hole as the ball just rolled forever.

You can not golf here unless you play with a member and it is a strict 1 guest per 1 member policy. If you ever get the chance to play here please do so. You will not be disappointed. I was surprised to see multiple foursomes of beautiful 25-40 year old women playing the course. All I could do was think "maintenance...high maintenance!"

This course was TRULY magnificent and I still have no idea how much my round of golf was. You are not allowed to pay with cash/credit card for anything as everything must be signed. However, I would easily put this course up there with Pelican Hill, Riviera, or any of the top 1% of courses on the west coast. I can not say enough complimentary things about this course. Absolutely stunning.

Totally jealous! I have been by that course and it looks amazing! Congrats! Man I am jealous:D

Back