best place for a fitting

jkirby4

Reaction score
Handicap
where would be the best place for a fitting for new irons? big box store (dicks, edwin watts, golfsmith) or a small shop or even a local course that has the ability. i have never been fitted for clubs so i wanna do it right. what is your experience ????

thanks in advance

jim

After my experience at Cool Clubs yesterday, I will never go back to big box fittings. If you have access to it, I would get a real fitting. You will likely need to pay a bit for it, but in the long run you will be much happier.

After my experience at Cool Clubs yesterday, I will never go back to big box fittings. If you have access to it, I would get a real fitting. You will likely need to pay a bit for it, but in the long run you will be much happier.

This, but I used Club Champion.

(
i don't have a problem paying for the "service". i just figure if i'm gonna spend the money for a new set (AP1) i wanna do it right. but if they all kinda do the same thing (results the same) i wouldn't want to needlessly throw money away.

(
i don't have a problem paying for the "service". i just figure if i'm gonna spend the money for a new set (AP1) i wanna do it right. but if they all kinda do the same thing (results the same) i wouldn't want to needlessly throw money away.

They don't. Golfsmith and other big box will throw you in a simulator and guess a shaft and need based on limited data. Places like Club Champion will actually analyze the data and recommend a series of options tailored to your specific swing, including ball flight, tempo, swing speed and others.

They don't. Golfsmith and other big box will throw you in a simulator and guess a shaft and need based on limited data. Places like Club Champion will actually analyze the data and recommend a series of options tailored to your specific swing, including ball flight, tempo, swing speed and others.

sounds like thats what i'm looking for..... thanks

I did a fitting at a Callaway performance center (the one near me doesn't limit you to Callaway clubs, they use other fitting carts as well). I thought it was a good experience.

the clubs i'm using are the ones i bought a couple years ago. no fitting just effectively just bought 'em off the rack. regular graphite shafts. seems to work ok but i'm in a position to buy a new set, i've always wanted a set of Titleist, so i want to have an "expert" tell me what i need instead of just looking at me for commission. i wonder if maybe steel shafts might work better for me. it's a big unknown for me and i don't wanna be a "mark" for a sales guy when i go somewhere.

I would do two things. One, find somewhere that you can hit outside. Nothing wrong with doing most of it inside, but it is good to take the recommendations to an outdoor range and see the ballflight and get the feel for the clubs hitting off grass. Secondly, and most don't have the patience for it, but take your time. You don't have to decide on new clubs after one hour of hitting balls. Get some good choices then go back a week later and narrow it down again. Depending on your swing and skill level what you like one week, might not be the same the next.

the clubs i'm using are the ones i bought a couple years ago. no fitting just effectively just bought 'em off the rack. regular graphite shafts. seems to work ok but i'm in a position to buy a new set, i've always wanted a set of Titleist, so i want to have an "expert" tell me what i need instead of just looking at me for commission. i wonder if maybe steel shafts might work better for me. it's a big unknown for me and i don't wanna be a "mark" for a sales guy when i go somewhere.

Places likes club champion will have you warm up then hit some shots with your 6 iron to establish base line numbers. Based on that they will recommend a shaft to start with and put it on an AP1 head if that is what you think you want. Then based on numbers with this new head/shaft combo, they will have you try several different shafts with similar characteristics to fine tune the results.

If the AP1 head doesn't work out for you they will switch to something else. Most likely something that is similar to what you are gaming or to the AP1, but also appeals to your eye.

They want your numbers as good as possible, but also want you to leave happy with your purchase. At least the guy I saw at club champion was that way.

That's pretty much what I felt like they did with my fitting a Golf Galaxy. Unfortunately with my time constraints, that was my only option.

Anyone have experience at golf Smith? I called them about a fitting and they said they use the mizuno fitting system and it recommends various shafts. My 4i broke last round and I'm looking to re shaft all of my irons so I figured the 4i is a good place to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I stay away from the big stores, the ones in my hometown just want to sell you clubs. I had the best fitting with a dad/son shop. They really seem to care about customer service. Also a PGA Professional at a course is a good place if they are set up for it.

where would be the best place for a fitting for new irons? big box store (dicks, edwin watts, golfsmith) or a small shop or even a local course that has the ability. i have never been fitted for clubs so i wanna do it right. what is your experience ????

thanks in advance

jim

Just take a little drive across rte 192 to Orlando and you can get the real deal at Club Champion. Just opened their ORL location a few months ago.
BTW, may need to track you down for some golf (and maybe "Mo' Bay Grill) next spring when we head down to Viera/melbourne for some spring training.
good luck, marty

Just take a little drive across rte 192 to Orlando and you can get the real deal at Club Champion. Just opened their ORL location a few months ago.
BTW, may need to track you down for some golf (and maybe "Mo' Bay Grill) next spring when we head down to Viera/melbourne for some spring training.
good luck, marty

Hit me up when your in the area. How does a place like Club Champion work ? Do you leave with "numbers" from your fitting or do you order your clubs from them when your done?

Went to GG yesterday and you guys were right it was a joke. I hit three shots with their 6i, not mine which is a +1.5, and then they recommended a shaft. Glad I only did it for my 4i. I'll have to find a better location when I'm ready to upgrade my irons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hit me up when your in the area. How does a place like Club Champion work ? Do you leave with "numbers" from your fitting or do you order your clubs from them when your done?
They will run you through a bunch of head options and also run comparison numbers with data for different shafts and shaft/head combinations. You can leave with the data recommending your optimal fit and buy nothing or you can buy through them. They seem pretty darn flexible. Obviously, they'd like people to buy product as well as the fitting service, but they are by no means, in my experience or others I've heard about, high pressure sales guys. If you do a THP search you should find a number of Club Champion fitting report threads, as well.
When I did a putter fitting, they gave me all the data but then I elected to buy my putter thru them (price was same as retail elsewhere) and they then included the custom tweaks to paintfill, etc.

If you have a brand preference, hitting up their performance center locations is an amazing experience (speaking for having just had a Callaway Performance Center fitting). I honestly think that's the way to go.

Barring that, a fitting with a pro you're comfortable with and who has access to a launch monitor would be the next best thing.

Consistent specs throughout the set is what you get from an experienced club maker. If you spend the time and money to "dial in" your swing then you should definitely spend the money to "dial in" all of the golf clubs in your bag. Still get fitted if your looking to improve your score by buying equipment without instruction from a teaching pro. You should always get clubs with consistent specs fitted to your swing. Otherwise, you build a swing that fits the golf clubs you use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would do two things. One, find somewhere that you can hit outside. Nothing wrong with doing most of it inside, but it is good to take the recommendations to an outdoor range and see the ballflight and get the feel for the clubs hitting off grass. Secondly, and most don't have the patience for it, but take your time. You don't have to decide on new clubs after one hour of hitting balls. Get some good choices then go back a week later and narrow it down again. Depending on your swing and skill level what you like one week, might not be the same the next.

+1 for this. Launch monitor data is great but being able to couple that with actual ball flight was much more productive for me. My last fitting was at a TMPL and after a base line into the net he rolled up the door and started trying some combinations. Once he thought we had something good we went over to the grass and hit some. If I recall we made one or two changes from the grass then back to the mat and monitor and finshed on the grass. Best fitting expereince I've had.

I went to Golf Exchange and had a terrific experience. I, too, had never been fitted for clubs and I really enjoy the clubs I bought. Got a great price on them also.

Back