Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

I just finished playing Torrey Pines South Course with Courtney, Ryan, and Tim. Barry joined us on 18 and periscoped the shenanigans. What a great group of guys. That was on of the most enjoyable rounds I have played in a long time (since #TheKing Event and Torrey Monday with BigSkyIrish). and would love to golf with you guys in the future. I'm glad you all had one hell of a good time in San Diego. THP and Project X put on one great event. Safe travels to you all.

Chump Fries... No more Z-Stars. Spin to win ?

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKlMizEwNjE0NjAwfDY3NzQzMTgxtpp0_z52ZWO-yuovaqyiMpNkUyHxUM8UoutkLZPJX38=
Really thrilled to play with you today Minh. No great scores posted, but great times for sure.

Also, Minh is the second guy to hit Chump Fries' shaft better than Chump Fries :alien:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I just finished playing Torrey Pines South Course with Courtney, Ryan, and Tim. Barry joined us on 18 and periscoped the shenanigans. What a great group of guys. That was on of the most enjoyable rounds I have played in a long time (since #TheKing Event and Torrey Monday with BigSkyIrish). and would love to golf with you guys in the future. I'm glad you all had one hell of a good time in San Diego. THP and Project X put on one great event. Safe travels to you all.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKlMizEwNjE0NjAwfDY3NzQzMTgxtpp0_z52ZWO-yuovaqyiMpNkUyHxUM8UoutkLZPJX38=
It was awesome playing with you buddy. Would gladly tee it up again with you. Thanks for following along. Project X and THP put on an amazing event.

Enjoyed watching you fellas play the 18th live yesterday to wrap up this weekend for you all. Was a pleasure meeting those that I have not met before, and as always catching up with those I have met along the way.

Oh and Tim, next time its driver off the deck time hehe

Thanks for posting that link Minh. Couldn't figure out how to get a link to share. That 18th was fun!

Enjoyed watching you fellas play the 18th live yesterday to wrap up this weekend for you all. Was a pleasure meeting those that I have not met before, and as always catching up with those I have met along the way.

Oh and Tim, next time its driver off the deck time hehe
The Periscope was hilarious. I enjoyed your "Go back and go for it comment." I made a mess of it on that green haha.

Not sure where DB and JB would like us to put feedback on our custom creations, but for now I'll put here.

I've hit my custom shaft now for 3 rounds, 2 range sessions, and 1 indoor LM session and can confidently say I am in love with the way this shaft kicks and releases. I really feel like the changes Don and I made at PX HQ were on point - 1/2 flex softer throughout, with a 1/3 flex softer tip, holding weight and torque roughly the same (~65g and ~3.8*, respectively). This has allowed me to really get this thing up in the air easily, and the feeling of the shaft unloading into the ball is absurdly smooth and powerful. However, I don't feel like we softened it too much, as the shaft feels like the perfect stiffness and torque to remain pretty darn stable through the swing.

I was able to get in some LM testing with it on Wednesday (GC2 Launch Monitor) to determine the best hosel setting for this shaft, as I had the loft up pretty darn high (11.5*) to assist getting the ball up with the stiffer tipped tester shaft. I was actually getting very similar carry numbers at 11.5* and 10.5* - decent strikes at 235yd or so, with really well hit balls carrying 250yd or more. The big difference was the spin numbers and thus the rollout - I was getting backspin in the mid/high 2000's with 11.5*, whereas that was knocked down to the low/mid 2000's with 10.5*. I am inclined to set it at 10.5* as a result, though someone stop me if I'm short changing myself of spin. I hit the club at the range yesterday to test this out, and was really hitting some serious bombs at the 10.5* setting (though distance is hard to judge at a not-so-well-marked range with limited flight balls.

This is fine for now buddy. Once the finished shafts get shipped, we will have a review thread up for everybody.

Not sure where DB and JB would like us to put feedback on our custom creations, but for now I'll put here.

I've hit my custom shaft now for 3 rounds, 2 range sessions, and 1 indoor LM session and can confidently say I am in love with the way this shaft kicks and releases. I really feel like the changes Don and I made at PX HQ were on point - 1/2 flex softer throughout, with a 1/3 flex softer tip, holding weight and torque roughly the same (~65g and ~3.8*, respectively). This has allowed me to really get this thing up in the air easily, and the feeling of the shaft unloading into the ball is absurdly smooth and powerful. However, I don't feel like we softened it too much, as the shaft feels like the perfect stiffness and torque to remain pretty darn stable through the swing.

I was able to get in some LM testing with it on Wednesday (GC2 Launch Monitor) to determine the best hosel setting for this shaft, as I had the loft up pretty darn high (11.5*) to assist getting the ball up with the stiffer tipped tester shaft. I was actually getting very similar carry numbers at 11.5* and 10.5* - decent strikes at 235yd or so, with really well hit balls carrying 250yd or more. The big difference was the spin numbers and thus the rollout - I was getting backspin in the mid/high 2000's with 11.5*, whereas that was knocked down to the low/mid 2000's with 10.5*. I am inclined to set it at 10.5* as a result, though someone stop me if I'm short changing myself of spin. I hit the club at the range yesterday to test this out, and was really hitting some serious bombs at the 10.5* setting (though distance is hard to judge at a not-so-well-marked range with limited flight balls.
Nice ? if you're hitting your shaft as well as you did on Saturday afternoon at Torrey Pines South you'll be money.

Nice ? if you're hitting your shaft as well as you did on Saturday afternoon at Torrey Pines South you'll be money.
Honestly, probably better, as I'm starting to understand the way it loads a little better and therefore swinging a little more confidently. And I think the loft change is going to be a good move, though it will take a round I think to figure that out for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Interesting tidbit about the test shaft.
I put it in the BioCell (from the FlyZ), same setting 9*.
I hooked the bejeezus out of the ball today. Have no idea why. Hit my other driver just fine, dead center of the fairway, but the test shaft in the BioCell (I checked the loft to make sure it was neutral) went left 9 times in a row.

Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Interesting Dave. I thought about trying the demo shaft in my 3 wood. I need to check with Don on how that'd affect the characteristics of the shaft. I'd also be curious about ways to add 10 grams so I keep my weights in the 60s, 70s, 80s for my driver 3 wood, 3 hybrid.

I'm such an equipment junkie. It wouldn't do for me to have so much awesomeness so close to me the way Alez367 and SanDiegoNative do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting Dave. I thought about trying the demo shaft in my 3 wood. I need to check with Don on how that'd affect the characteristics of the shaft. I'd also be curious about ways to add 10 grams so I keep my weights in the 60s, 70s, 80s for my driver 3 wood, 3 hybrid.

I'm such an equipment junkie. It wouldn't do for me to have so much awesomeness so close to me the way Alez367 and SanDiegoNative do :)

Believe me, I've had two conversations locally about DB with people that know him and both said he would be able to answer all my questions and more. Definitely made me appreciate what they did even more for you guys even more. Sometimes too many options is a bad thing.

Since we discussed this in SD, I'm gotten semi serious about it. If I can get a hold of a Vapor Flex 5w for a decent price, I'm gonna give it a shot. DB said if I were to butt trim the test shaft to fairway wood length it would have the effect of a slightly higher launching fairway wood, which could be really intriguing in a lower spin 5w head like the flex. Launch it high with low spin could equal a serious weapon on tight tee balls and on par 5 second shots.

I've been thinking about the tester shaft and tip trimming it an inch and putting it in a three wood. I bet that thing in a Callaway X Hot, X2 Hot or XR would be massive. My only hesitance would be I'm used to 75-85 grams in my fairway woods although I do hit the Optiforce 3 wood with a Mitsubishi 62 shaft pretty well. This is Project X's fault for sending us off with THREE shafts!

I've been thinking about the tester shaft and tip trimming it an inch and putting it in a three wood. I bet that thing in a Callaway X Hot, X2 Hot or XR would be massive. My only hesitance would be I'm used to 75-85 grams in my fairway woods although I do hit the Optiforce 3 wood with a Mitsubishi 62 shaft pretty well. This is Project X's fault for sending us off with THREE shafts!

Just a bit off the tip would give it that little bit of stiffness it needs I think. (all puns intended.)

I'm just scared to cut the shaft at all. If my swing changes in the future, the tester shaft may fit me a few years down the road and I don't want to have cut it down. Can't decide can't decide.

I know what you mean. After my post I was like wait a second I basically have a HZRDUS Red in my home and I'm about to cut it? I must think on this!

Just a bit off the tip would give it that little bit of stiffness it needs I think. (all puns intended.)

You're all very bad men.

As most threads for this event have, this has gone off the rails. LOL

If I do it, I'm going to leave it as is and see how I like the higher launch, and then tip it if necessary depending on what it feels like. The tester shaft is already more tip stiff than my custom one anyways.

For what its worth, I was told by a TT employee that tipping my extra handcrafted a half inch and then butt trimming to length would be the appropriate way to get a 3w shaft.

For what its worth, I was told by a TT employee that tipping my extra handcrafted a half inch and then butt trimming to length would be the appropriate way to get a 3w shaft.

Don told me the same. He also told me though that it's kind of in vogue now to just butt trim only to get a little higher launching fairway wood, so plenty of options.

Don told me the same. He also told me though that it's kind of in vogue now to just butt trim only to get a little higher launching fairway wood, so plenty of options.

This i might try because I feel a lot better about extending the club back out if I only trim it from the butt and never have touch the tip.

I'm not cutting anything. Or, if I do cut anything (but I'm not, so purely hypothetical) it would be the unfinished shaft after I receive my custom shaft.

I was afraid of tipping my LZ thinking it'd really mess with the loading zone and perhaps losing distance. Guess I just might experiment.

Back