Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

You're going to crush the ball with this. Should play into your normal ball flight very well in my opinion. When I faded, it faded, and now that I am more prone to draw, it does that. No surprises for me.

I ponder no more! That's right, I OEM'd the FL 3wood. I have to tell you guys, I just like to do my research for a bit first. I like to ask questions, get feedback, gather my thoughts, then and only then, can I comfortably pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input to all of you. I look forward to updating this thread.

Awesome! I foresee you shrinking a lot of par 5's in the near future. My crystal ball gets a bit foggy as to what happens after that though.

My new to me SL290 arrived today, and that is one pretty club. Hopefully out to the range tomorrow or Sunday with it and the new SCORs.

Awesome! I foresee you shrinking a lot of par 5's in the near future. My crystal ball gets a bit foggy as to what happens after that though.

I have a short game that rivals Phil's. I'm good there dude.

Haha love that saying. I hope you like the FL man its probably my favorite club in my bag (until I put my C Kua into my R9 lol)

You know short game includes putting right?

I am debating giving the driver another try I am enjoying the FW wood so much.

You know short game includes putting right?

I am debating giving the driver another try I am enjoying the FW wood so much.

Dude, with Dirte' it's a whole different ball game. I might be the best putter you know right now.

About the driver, you cannot be serious?

Dude, with Dirte' it's a whole different ball game. I might be the best putter you know right now.

About the driver, you cannot be serious?

I am very serious. The FW wood works that well for me

I am very serious. The FW wood works that well for me

But the Razr Hawk works well for you already. I bought this FW wood just b/c of you and a couple of other guys. I hope it lives up to the hype.

But the Razr Hawk works well for you already. I bought this FW wood just b/c of you and a couple of other guys. I hope it lives up to the hype.

It does work well, and you know me, its only about the numbers for me. We will see what happens.

I was pondering the 270, 290. But im going to wait until the cg black comes out :)

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I was pondering the 270, 290. But im going to wait until the cg black comes out :)

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

haha If the black one performs as well as mine does, and also the good looks, I'm probably going to have a case of driver envy.

I keep demo'ing the 270 and 290, I can't figure which one I like more. I get the same distance from both. The biggest problem is that I don't have a way to bring them outside to see more than just launch monitor flight.

I went to the driving range on friday with my R9 with a miyazaki blue in it, and went head to head against the SL290 with the Miyazaki C. Kua and the Cleveland won hands down, in fact it wasn't even a fair fight. I will say though that the sound of the two drivers is really close and they both sound incredible. Love both these drivers with these shafts, but for now, the Cleveland is in the bag to stay.

Good post CB, I often put my driver to the test as well, and so far it wins. I sometimes wonder if maybe a 10.5* head would maybe have been better(accuracy wise) than the 9* that I have, but every time I put it to the test it just gives me the best overall performance. How much difference does 1.5* really make anyway as far as accuracy?

Good post CB, I often put my driver to the test as well, and so far it wins. I sometimes wonder if maybe a 10.5* head would maybe have been better(accuracy wise) than the 9* that I have, but every time I put it to the test it just gives me the best overall performance. How much difference does 1.5* really make anyway as far as accuracy?

For most it actually makes a surprising amount of difference in the amount of side spin they get. I'm not saying it would for you cause if your hitting it well, and are not finding any dispersion issues then it is right for you. For me though, I will never go under a 10.5* head, and will just find the right shaft from there to give me the proper launch conditions.

I keep demo'ing the 270 and 290, I can't figure which one I like more. I get the same distance from both. The biggest problem is that I don't have a way to bring them outside to see more than just launch monitor flight.

I've done that quite a bit too, but I always seem to hit the 270 better. I have no clue as to why either, there can't be that much difference between the two clubs. My ball speed just seems to stay pegged around 150 with the 270, and with the 290 (and every other driver I tested so far) it varies between 135 and 150. Weird huh?

Hit a few balls with the new to me SL290. Had a bit of my normal Jake-straightness going on, but man does that thing kill a ball. It does require a smooth swing, but it was going probably 10-15 yards further than the R11. Didn't hit enough balls with either for anything definitive, but round one goes to the SL290. I knew it would be, but the C Kua feels great, but is very high launching for me, which is why I went to the 9 deg head.

For most it actually makes a surprising amount of difference in the amount of side spin they get. I'm not saying it would for you cause if your hitting it well, and are not finding any dispersion issues then it is right for you. For me though, I will never go under a 10.5* head, and will just find the right shaft from there to give me the proper launch conditions.

She can get a bit fussy at times, I guess it's just the siren song of the flat out raw performance I seem to get with this combo that keeps me sucked in. Most days though I have no qualms about hitting my driver on even the tightest holes, but then there are those other days when I would like to have a little forgiveness as far as dispersion.

I think the 'requires a smooth swing' is what would hurt me. For the most part I have a smooth swing, but I tend to get really quick after things start goin downhill for me.

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone taken one of these drivers and tried tipping it 1 inch? Movingh a stiff to x-stiff? Or is that not an option with the C. Kua shafts

Hit a few balls with the new to me SL290. Had a bit of my normal Jake-straightness going on, but man does that thing kill a ball. It does require a smooth swing, but it was going probably 10-15 yards further than the R11. Didn't hit enough balls with either for anything definitive, but round one goes to the SL290. I knew it would be, but the C Kua feels great, but is very high launching for me, which is why I went to the 9 deg head.

It certainly does put them out there. I'm no big hitter by any means, but the xl270 sure has been making me look pretty good this year.
I think the reason you stated for the 9* is why I chose that one as well.

I think the 'requires a smooth swing' is what would hurt me. For the most part I have a smooth swing, but I tend to get really quick after things start goin downhill for me.

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone taken one of these drivers and tried tipping it 1 inch? Movingh a stiff to x-stiff? Or is that not an option with the C. Kua shafts

I have to remind myself about the smooth swing sometimes too. lol I haven't tried tipping the shaft, but that would be interesting to see how that would come out. I have, however, gripped down an inch or two, and that seems to help out on those days where I forget that only a smooth swing is required.

The Cleveland XL goodness continues! I hit almost every fairway today with it. I hit a few long (for me) ones also. One lasered at 270, but on the first hole I really crushed one, and along with a little tailwind, I ended up with only 190 yds left to the green on a 481 yd par 5. I didn't have way to actually measure that one, but it was pretty long.

Last edited:
I am going to be getting an XL 270 for my birthday. I got to demo this and loved it. I am a smaller fellow (5' 10" at 135 lb.) but I am sprightly and lanky. So the lighter shaft just fits me perfect. I can put a good hit on the ball.

Back