Building a set of ACER XF Pro irons

Indeed. What will be interesting to see is the feel that they have.
DG SL S300's. I'm tired of monkeying about with iron shafts to find alternative combo's especially given this Ping debacle. It appears that DG's just flat work for me in the standard and SL's so that's what I'm rolling with.
Though it was tempting to get them in Steel Fibres just for the fun of it.
LOL, just put the shafts you know work in them if you are testing them. I bet they are awesome.
Dude, that's awesome. You'll enjoy the process. I always did. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on those shafts bro.
Thanks man, I'm excited. Based on the research I have done, I think these shafts are going to be a treat. I just didn't want to go through the process of reshafting the R11's when I can just do it this way and have some fun.

And it would probably cost more to have the R11 shafts pulled and the new shafts installed. You made a wise and fun decision.

So here is my only real question about installing the shafts. When you looks at the trimming instructions, is that with the shaft installed in the head or what length to cut the raw shaft?

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

So here is my only real question about installing the shafts. When you looks at the trimming instructions, is that with the shaft installed in the head or what length to cut the raw shaft?

Raw cut

Thanks buddy, so since I don't have to tip trim them, and I want them to play 1/2" long then I will just take them in their raw state, measure from tip to my finished length for each iron, and then I can cut them and install them.

Thanks buddy, so since I don't have to tip trim them, and I want them to play 1/2" long then I will just take them in their raw state, measure from tip to my finished length for each iron, and then I can cut them and install them.
wait, those are the tip trimming instructions aren't they, and then you finish butt cut them with the head installed.

wait, those are the tip trimming instructions aren't they, and then you finish butt cut them with the head installed.

Yes. Those cuts they list on the FST site are for tip trimming (seems they send them all in one length instead of precut), then butt cut to suit.

Yes. Those cuts they list on the FST site are for tip trimming (seems they send them all in one length instead of precut), then butt cut to suit.
Thanks Tuna, yes they send all the shafts at 43" and then you tip trim them with what they say on the site and then install them and then measure and butt cut. My research this morning has also made me understand softstepping and hardsteeping a lot better.

coolbreeze, those are the tip trimming instructions. Then you butt cut to playing length. The good thing is that you can cut to trim the say 5i and then cut to length and test it in the 5, if it's too loose or need it stiffer, pull it out, cut more off, and test it in the 6i, and so on until you find the right flex for you and just take the tip trim that you found to be right for you and use that across the set. Always err on the side of less flex to avoid wasting a shaft. You don't really have to worry about soft or hard stepping b/c the FST's come in S/XS and you tip trip to flex.

I really like the look of those irons and they always get good reviews and the previous model even made the Hot List in 09. The Caiman copper blades are super sweet looking... Like I previously mentioned, I ordered these with the FST Hi Rev shafts. Should be a pretty good combo.
powerplayrawspinwedge_1.jpg

Can't wait to follow along your new adventure! It is super fun to build clubs yourself and very rewarding and you'll learn a lot in the process.

Thanks Tuna, yes they send all the shafts at 43" and then you tip trim them with what they say on the site and then install them and then measure and butt cut. My research this morning has also made me understand softstepping and hardsteeping a lot better.

I wish more of the OEM's still did that. It's really annoying when you get a set of shafts and they want you to get a pre cut ish length for the iron heads your installing into and then you get like 3 shaft flexes across the board from what you ordered. Shipping at one length lets people frequency match easier, especially if they're going to keep inventory.

Breezy, if I win the lotto you, me, Jman and TC are setting up a custom shop. The golfing world wouldn't know what to do with such awesomeness except buy hand over fist.

Edit: Hot damn Run, how did I miss those? I hope the test irons rule so I can nab the rest of the set and those wedges. That would be a fantastic looking bag. Add some Cobra woods, some gator head covers and a Lajosi lizard putter and I'd be all reptiled out. Hah!

Can someone tell me if Acer is now completely a Callaway clone company?

Thanks RPR, every shaft I've installed myself before has been pre-tipped and I've never ordered just a raw shaft before and had to do the trimming myself. Now that I understand it all it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to start with the recommended tipping instructions for the stiff flex, and since I want the shafts to be a half inch longer than standard, if I want to take them out and tip trim them later, I still can still tip trim them another half inch or if I fee I need more than that, I can always add butt extensions to the shafts.

My research says that the flex of the FST Pro 115 shafts play a little soft of flex but that could be good for me as I don't have a very aggressive transition at all. I wish these things were here tomorrow so I could get started on this but it looks like it will be about 5-7 business days before I get to start playing.

Well I'm not sure, I really wanted to make sure I was buying a component club and not a clone because I don't like the idea of that. It looks to me that they have definatly made a lot of their irons to look like some Callaway irons, and the ones that don't look like Callaway irons, are being compared to them.
I'm still on the side that they are a component brand as their woods and hybrids seem legit and not like Callaway at all, and at least the irons I ordered to not look (at least to me) like any Callaway iron on the market.

I wish more of the OEM's still did that. It's really annoying when you get a set of shafts and they want you to get a pre cut ish length for the iron heads your installing into and then you get like 3 shaft flexes across the board from what you ordered. Shipping at one length lets people frequency match easier, especially if they're going to keep inventory.

Breezy, if I win the lotto you, me, Jman and TC are setting up a custom shop. The golfing world wouldn't know what to do with such awesomeness except buy hand over fist.

Edit: Hot damn Run, how did I miss those? I hope the test irons rule so I can nab the rest of the set and those wedges. That would be a fantastic looking bag. Add some Cobra woods, some gator head covers and a Lajosi lizard putter and I'd be all reptiled out. Hah!
I'm in! I wish working in the golf industry was easier, and that there was more money in it to be made. For now I will keep my day job.

Well I'm not sure, I really wanted to make sure I was buying a component club and not a clone because I don't like the idea of that. It looks to me that they have definatly made a lot of their irons to look like some Callaway irons, and the ones that don't look like Callaway irons, are being compared to them.
I'm still on the side that they are a component brand as their woods and hybrids seem legit and not like Callaway at all, and at least the irons I ordered to not look (at least to me) like any Callaway iron on the market.

You might be right, I am genuinely curious. I just keep seeing their stuff listed as "Compare to Callaway ABC Model".

Very cool Breeze, already a ton of info for the do it yourselfers. I'll be following very closely!

good stuff CB they look pretty good. should be fun following along. im just feeling comfortable on changing grips on my own. i dunno about building my own clubs from scratch though!

Thanks RPR, every shaft I've installed myself before has been pre-tipped and I've never ordered just a raw shaft before and had to do the trimming myself. Now that I understand it all it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to start with the recommended tipping instructions for the stiff flex, and since I want the shafts to be a half inch longer than standard, if I want to take them out and tip trim them later, I still can still tip trim them another half inch or if I fee I need more than that, I can always add butt extensions to the shafts.

My research says that the flex of the FST Pro 115 shafts play a little soft of flex but that could be good for me as I don't have a very aggressive transition at all. I wish these things were here tomorrow so I could get started on this but it looks like it will be about 5-7 business days before I get to start playing.

Sounds good, They are great to work with and their "ratings" play soft to flex but if you have an average/smooth transition then the S flex should be fine although they are a very smooth feeling iron shaft, similar to the KBS.

You might be right, I am genuinely curious. I just keep seeing their stuff listed as "Compare to Callaway ABC Model".

yeah, the wording is a bit silly IMHO and hurts them as I think if they are making their own stuff then they shouldn't have to resort to that kind of wording... They are not a clone company from everything I can tell, as they make and design their own stuff.

Sounds good, They are great to work with and their "ratings" play soft to flex but if you have an average/smooth transition then the S flex should be fine although they are a very smooth feeling iron shaft, similar to the KBS.

yeah, the wording is a bit silly IMHO and hurts them as I think if they are making their own stuff then they shouldn't have to resort to that kind of wording... They are not a clone company from everything I can tell, as they make and design their own stuff.
''

I never thought they were in the past, but man oh man, looking over the websites that sell their gear makes you wonder. I know they are part of the same umbrella that has Hireko, Dynacraft, etc.

Hi coolbreeze,
Nice project! I am very interested how the Acer irons are compared to OEM irons. At the moment I am looking for a new set of irons, and Acer components are budgetwise very attractive. (OEM on the list are, Wilson ci11, Mizuno JPX800 pro,Nike vr pro combo 2011 with the blades)
Looking forward to your experience.

Last edited:
Hi coolbreeze,
Nice project! I am very interested how the Acer irons are compared to OEM irons. At the moment I am looking for a new set of irons, and Acer components are budgetwise very attractive. (OEM on the list are, Wilson ci11, Mizuno JPX800 pro,Nike vr pro combo 2011 with the blades)
Looking forward to your experience.
Well thanks man, I've never played component irons either, so this will be my first go round with non OEM iron heads. For me, this is going to be a good way to test shafts on the course or on the range. I don't really want to play with my gamer irons shafts all the time, or have one different shaft in my set of irons. This way I will always have a set of heads that I can though a shaft in, and to be honest, I'm also interested in playing these irons for some time and seeing what they can do.

Here is a question though for everyone, the iron heads have some black and red in them, and the FST Pro 115 shaft has blue in it, so, should I go with red, or blue VDR's on these bad boys as I will be buying them today. I'm leaning blue as those are my favorite colour of VDR's.

Well thanks man, I've never played component irons either, so this will be my first go round with non OEM iron heads. For me, this is going to be a good way to test shafts on the course or on the range. I don't really want to play with my gamer irons shafts all the time, or have one different shaft in my set of irons. This way I will always have a set of heads that I can though a shaft in, and to be honest, I'm also interested in playing these irons for some time and seeing what they can do.

Here is a question though for everyone, the iron heads have some black and red in them, and the FST Pro 115 shaft has blue in it, so, should I go with red, or blue VDR's on these bad boys as I will be buying them today. I'm leaning blue as those are my favorite colour of VDR's.

I vote blue but that is my favorite color. And also thanks to this thread I spent most of yesterday looking at club making stuff that I have no reason even contemplating.

I vote blue but that is my favorite color. And also thanks to this thread I spent most of yesterday looking at club making stuff that I have no reason even contemplating.
LOL, me too man. I actually just got an email from valuegolf, I ordered the irons and shafts before they set up my account with the 10% off this weekend, because I didn't want to wait, and really wanted them to ship out first thing today. All of a sudden this morning, $12 goes into my paypal account as a refund, and my order has shipped!!! Now that is good customer service if you ask me. I didn't ask for them to do it, that was all them.

I will be ordering from them again, based on this one transaction so far.

Back